Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:18 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times

Advertisements

This is the price you will have to pay for your actions. Either way, learn from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 04:41 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx
So, long story short, I got fired today from a job I loved. I was there more than five years.
Im so sorry JJ

I hope it isnt long before you find something thats maybe BETTER

Old 01-20-2017, 06:14 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
So, this employer gets to get away with firing someone over a personal / non-work related issue, and on top of that, with conflicts of interest and unprofessionalism involved?

That doesn't sound right, at all.

Surely along the spectrum of law he/they can be held accountable for this. I refuse to believe, as backwards as this country is, that you can't slam them with a lawsuit or something similar.
This is a work related issue. The employee crossed a line with management. What unprofessionalism was involved. Adults within the same company can date as long as it doesn't violate company policy. Did the team have any evidence of favoritism or wrongdoing?

Old 01-20-2017, 07:10 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This is a work related issue. The employee crossed a line with management. What unprofessionalism was involved. Adults within the same company can date as long as it doesn't violate company policy. Did the team have any evidence of favoritism or wrongdoing?
How do you know what, if any, line was crossed by OP?
Where is that information in OP's posts?
As far as "dating" co-workers and subordinates, what do YOU really know about this situation? A supervisor having an intimate relationship with a subordinate is inappropriate for many reasons.
Maybe one or both people are married, maybe there was favoritism (which takes many different forms) - we haven't been given enough information.

Last edited by applej3; 01-20-2017 at 07:21 AM..

Old 01-20-2017, 08:28 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
O.P.
What was their real Reason for terminating you?
Did you spread rumors about your supervisor
Did you tell upper management about your supervisor and then they tried to fire you
Sounds like you got a pretty good lawsuit to me.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:29 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
I don't think the OP is coming back to fill us in.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:34 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
O.P.
What was their real Reason for terminating you?
Did you spread rumors about your supervisor
Did you tell upper management about your supervisor and then they tried to fire you
Sounds like you got a pretty good lawsuit to me.
How so? On what grounds/basis?

Last edited by applej3; 01-20-2017 at 08:43 AM..

Old 01-20-2017, 08:44 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Four month old baby, it is really going to hurt to lose health insurance. Is there any way to retain health insurance in this case?

Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 PM

649 posts, read 316,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Don't quit, file for unemployment, look for a new job, and learn a lesson about staying out of office politics especially when sex is involved. You put yourself in this position when you opened your mouth.
This pretty much says it all , you should have known better .

Old 01-20-2017, 01:46 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
So, long story short, I got fired today from a job I loved. I was there more than five years.

I live in NY so whether the reasoning behind the firing was just/unjust fair/unfair, etc. has no bearing. My immediate supervisor hired a female and they began a relationship outside of work. It began to effect team morale and everyone felt pretty on edge about the whole situation. Me having seniority on the shift led people to come to me to go to our department manager to do something.

It was a mess. He said, she said and then I took the fall.

I had never been disciplined and I'm a good worker. My manager and the head of HR excused themselves in the middle of firing me, and offered to accept my resignation instead, effective immediately. Apparently they waited to see if I would accept my fate professionally, which I did. They also said they would authorize unemployment benefits and my manager wrote me a recommendation letter and said any calls he received he would give me a good reference, explaining that he would tell them 'he wasn't sure why I left'.

I was the defacto supervisor on the shift, as our actual supervisor was off with this co-worker. I was respected among my peers and I'm feeling really upset but I've shoved all those bad emotions into a neat compartment in my brain and I am ready to get to work first thing in the morning finding a new job.

My wife had a baby four months ago. She's freaking out. I'm trying my best to comfort her. I told her I wouldn't be out of work long and I will find something quickly.

In all honesty I'm freaking out inside but I'm trying to hold it together.

Any suggestions/tips/encouragement for a less-then-24-hour fired/forced resignation worker?
First of all, I'm very sorry this happen to you.

I'm not sure it was a good idea to resign, because you likely gave up a severance which could have been several months of pay after being there for 5 years. The unemployment, they don't grant, it is up to the unemployment office, but what they likely means is they won't fight it if you apply for unemployment.

I don't like the idea of them saying 'he wasn't sure why I left', because what he should say is you resign, and that's all that needs to be said regardless of the circumstances.

I know this sounds easy for me to say, but this isn't the end of the world. You go into work every day hoping things work out, you don't walk around thinking what you should do in the event something like this happens. Whatever the outcome, nothing damaging has been done here to you that a new job won't fix.

I don't know your industry or your skills, but see if you can tell new employers that you immediately apply for a job that you were part of a layoff. I would ask them to say that for now. If you are unemployed for months more because of this, you should say you are doing free-lancing consulting if you can do that sort of thing in your industry.

Overall, you have things to be proud of which were under your control. Sounds like a stupid situation there and although my words don't pay the bills, you are better off working elsewhere than put up with their nonsense any further. I wish you success!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment