Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 04:06 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times

Advertisements

Because for every bad boss, there is an equal number of bad employees. No employee ever says my boss sucks, but i suck too, they always paint themselves as the number 1 producer, best employee to walk through the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 04:21 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
Life's a b**** and then you die. The end!

Old 01-21-2017, 09:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
It's compatibility problem just like marriages. If you don't go well with the boss they will make your life miserable just like a bad spouse.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:48 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Some people are just super full of themselves. They think they're the greatest employee in the world and they're really just mediocre at best. Other people really are that good, but their boss truly is a butthead. So why do they need sympathy? Either suck it up and deal or find a new job....the boss may not be any better at a new job....they might suck even more.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Because there have been many post that started off whining and complaining about their boss or the company and how evil the employers are to the poor worker, only to find out later the employee was the problem. Fishing For Sympathy is very common on this forum, but, that doesn't mean intelligent mature people have to take the bait!

Old 01-22-2017, 04:58 AM

983 posts, read 738,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Why is sympathy needed? Bosses don't matter. The employee's career plan matters. I can put up with anything for 1-3 years as long as it propels me to the next level. Come in, do the work, go home.

It's about me and what I can get out of the job. I'm not going to get distracted by some minor foolishness done by my boss. As long as things aren't illegal or immoral, I'm okay.
But what if you have a boss like I had that tries to undermine you at every turn and just generally treats you like crap? Employees shouldn't have to deal with this kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Bad bosses are always going to exist, just like bad siblings, the Cleveland Browns, and boy bands. Slavery was abolished 130 years ago, indentured servitude 100. Exercise your freedom of At-Will employment and go to a better employer.
That's the issue, people act as if it's so easy to get another job. It's extremely difficult and lots of people are required to have unrealistic expectations for a job.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,276 times
Everybody has thier 'place' in the grand-scheme of things.

LEARN yours and if you don't like it, EARN your way to a better place.

'Rank hath it's priviledges'.

Old 01-22-2017, 09:38 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
It seems whenever someone makes a topic here about how they do genuinely work hard but are getting totally screwed over by their boss/manager/company whatever there's a trend where many say "Oh, well you're just not as good as you think" or "Oh, you just don't understand how things work" or "Tough luck, pull yourself up by your bootstraps". etc. etc.

Even despite all the negative and unscrupulous things MANY bosses, managers and companies do that are well known.
This is a community full of critics. If you post a complaint about your job, I guarantee you that 20 people with nothing better to do are going to jump on you and tell you it's your own fault. A few sympathetic ones will suggest you polish off your resume and start looking for a better situation.

Is there something about your job situation that you want to share, or is this more a general critique of how OP's are treated here at c-d?

Old 01-22-2017, 09:42 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Perhaps posters don't given enough information and it leads to rash answers.
Often they post too because they can't come up with an easier solution on their own.

It isn't always simple.

"My boss is the company president's son, we commercially paint industrial fans- he's always giving me trouble about my schedule which in turn makes performance difficult. I've given him suggestions but he wants to appear tough and retain control, not just be the president's son. I'm skilled at the particular job I have- but this is the only facility in the surrounding 3 states that does what we do."

"I worked alongside my supervisor when she and I were in a lateral position. She's a jackal about numbers and as salaried employee puts in about 60 hours when her colleagues do 45. She expects similar after hours work from hourly employees trying to keep everyone to her standard. People keep quitting underneath her making the job harder for me. HR will continue to ignore personal disputes because she is a high performer. The company hours are unusual, but it works for my daughters day care and until she is 5 years old I want to stick this out."

"I work for the public school district and my principal does not like my stern demeanor with children even though it keeps discipline in line which is reflected in my students doing better on their state exams and completing assignments required at home. He feels I'm not warm enough, though parents are coming to my aid stating how much advancement their students have gotten this year. My evaluations have all reflected his personal feelings and will keep me from transferring to another school or getting a merit raise next year."

Old 01-22-2017, 09:54 AM

40 posts, read 34,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
But what if you have a boss like I had that tries to undermine you at every turn and just generally treats you like crap? Employees shouldn't have to deal with this kind of stuff.

That's the issue, people act as if it's so easy to get another job. It's extremely difficult and lots of people are required to have unrealistic expectations for a job.
Everything you wrote in that post hit the nail on the head.

There are plenty of crappy employees (I have dealt with those), but there are also plenty of crappy managers (I have dealt with those also).

The only solution I see is to find a job where you work out in the field alone. In every group, there will be a few ass holes. That is why offices suck so much. I have never worked at a job where there wasn't one person who made everyone else miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment