Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 07:33 AM

59 posts, read 39,290 times

Advertisements

One thing to mention, I already have a company to work as a plumber (first as apprentice of course).
I just dont know is it physically too much demanding and how far can i get pursuing that carrier.... I'm wondering can i work as a plumber until my 60.

you guys have experience with this ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 07:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
You are plenty young. Go for it. Keep yourself in good shape and you can do it for a long time.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:12 AM

59 posts, read 39,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
You are plenty young. Go for it. Keep yourself in good shape and you can do it for a long time.
yea you really think so or you just saying it to encourage me ?
i think im in good shape, but i've heard plumbers work 8+ hours .....and weekends

Old 01-21-2017, 08:30 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim88 View Post
yea you really think so or you just saying it to encourage me ?
i think im in good shape, but i've heard plumbers work 8+ hours .....and weekends
Of course plumbers work 8+ hours a day, and some of them are on-call on weekends. What do you think they do? I've known several people plumbing well into their 60s and over.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:57 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,583 times
Depends on the kind of plumbing. I'm an electrician and it is very hard work. No, we don't fiddle with wires all day (well, sometimes we do). Residential requires a lot of crawling and digging. If you're doing HVAC as well you'll be in attics.

If you get into commercial or industrial plumbing/mechanical you'll generally work 40 hours 7-3 type hours with possibilities of OT and generally will make more money especially if you join a union or get with a non-union contractor that gets a lot of prevailing wage work (as long as they don't fraud their employees of their rightful wages). Much more predictable schedule than residential. As an electrician I like residential the least.

I got into the trade at 21. I've been at it for 9 years now at 30 years old. I know of a 40+ apprentice that is about to become a journeyman, so you're not really that old.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:33 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
My plumber is 61 and loves his job.
It makes zero senes that you think you are too old for anything at age 29.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:20 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
One thing to mention, I already have a company to work as a plumber (first as apprentice of course).
I just dont know is it physically too much demanding and how far can i get pursuing that carrier.... I'm wondering can i work as a plumber until my 60.

If you have good mechanical ability I say go for it. I was an industrial electrician for 40 years and saw way too many "electricians" they were not mechanically inclined and were terrible mechanics. (butchers)
If you are already handy with tools that is a good start.
Do the book study also along with the OTJ training.

Good luck.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:50 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
Most guys that are older in the trades spend everyday hurting. I was young and in good shape as an electrician and came home tired every day with some tight muscles. I started to get some knee pain when climbing ladders. It's hard on your body. If you don't have a college degree and can get in a union it. It might be worth it.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:57 PM

101 posts, read 159,475 times
Quote:

29?? Dude, you are NOT too old. And you're not too old to learn or pursue a new trade. I wish I was 29 again. I'm not even that old at 41. And I am even thinking about a career change.

Furthermore, "physically demanding" can be relative. There's a lot of new research out there that shows it's truly unhealthy for white collar type jobs where one sits on their butt for 8+ hours a day. And I can attest to that as a fact. Sitting at a desk job almost ruined my back and my health. I was overweight and unhappy. First thing I did was build myself a standing desk; that solved the back issues. And most of the jobs I have today are where I'm moving around and being active. I'm MUCH happier.

If one eats healthy, exercises and takes care of themselves, one should easily be able to work past 60.

One question: Do you have a passion for wanting to become a plumber? It's always best to follow our passions in employment as we'll be more fulfilled.

Old 01-21-2017, 01:19 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
29? Surely you are joking. I am 63 and spend most of my days remodeling, plumbing and otherwise fooling around fixing up houses, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment