Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 10:52 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times

Advertisements

IMO, if a manager doesn't feel comfortable working with people he or she didn't personally select, they probably suck as a manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 11:16 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,779,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Often the new manager is replacing one that was ineffective, and may have hired people that are not the best for meeting the company's goals.
This is the "justification" BS that the very same managers use to justify what they do. It's nonsense and it's BS. Most people, most of the time, are about equally as competent at doing their particular job as any potential replacements.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:23 AM

27 posts, read 19,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
After 2004, I made it a rule to ALWAYS update my linkedIn profile at least twice per year. Always get a job interview with another company/another department at least once per year.
It keeps you sharp. It keep you ready. it avoids surprises.
So how do you explain your absence from your job while you're at the interview?

Old 01-23-2017, 03:26 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Even if your company is doing well, even if you're getting raises and promotions, you could be fired the next minute.

This happened to my friend recently. His team got a new manager. First thing the new manager does? Fires everyone on the team because he only wants to manage people who he has personally hired. Yikes!
How does he know this? It sounds like his opinion.

"Alright everyone. Glad you came to the meeting. I have an announcement. I only want people working here that I've personally hired. So you are all fired."

Old 01-23-2017, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Often the new manager is replacing one that was ineffective, and may have hired people that are not the best for meeting the company's goals. It's especially common at the top levels. We got a new CEO and several of the existing managing directors were replaced. It could even be one of the negotiated terms of employment. Of course, in some cases perfectly capable people are let go just for someone to bring in their own staff, unfortunately. Just another one of the many signs that job security doesn't really exist.
Often a new CEO is hired to change the organization. They might be capable people, but they don't have the skills and experience needed for the new direction.

I've seen new management come in and try to change an organization and be met with nothing but resistance from those in middle management. After evaluating the place, it makes sense to clean house. Having people around who aren't going to be open to the new direction is detrimental to the company. I've worked in IT software for many years and those with bad attitudes like that can make an improvement grind to a halt. So there is no other choice than to replace them.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yeah, that's called life. Why is it so surprising that a job can end at anytime for a variety of reasons.
You call up a driveway contractor, have him come to your house and give you an estimate. He leaves thinking he has a job, and he doesn't know you decided to hire someone else. So in a blink of an eye, he lost the job to someone else. You don't like what you are watching on TV, so you change the channel. You don't like the place you are having lunch at, so you go someplace else. This is the way business works, and you yourself do this all the time.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
After 2004, I made it a rule to ALWAYS update my linkedIn profile at least twice per year. Always get a job interview with another company/another department at least once per year.
It keeps you sharp. It keep you ready. it avoids surprises.
Yes, and it gives you an idea if your compensation is competitive with the market.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
This is the "justification" BS that the very same managers use to justify what they do. It's nonsense and it's BS. Most people, most of the time, are about equally as competent at doing their particular job as any potential replacements.
No, that's not the case at all. People who have been in the job for a long time with different management are stuck in their ways and can't be changed or reasoned with. So they need to be replaced. Yes, they WERE competent to do the job under the previous management, but they aren't under the new management. Many employees refuse training or don't pay attention to it, or refuse to adapt to any other way with the excuse that this is the way they have been doing the job for years and they aren't going to change. Some people are unwilling to change, and others simply don't have the skills and experience needed for the new direction.

I don't know where people get this mentality that the employer owes you a job for life, or until you want to leave, they don't. They are running a business and have to survive. They will make whatever changes the need to accomplish that. Or you will be the one crying and mad at the company because they didn't stay competitive and closed down the location entirely. You can't have it both ways.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxox88 View Post
So how do you explain your absence from your job while you're at the interview?
What is there to explain? You have sick days, PTO, and personal days. You do what everyone else does, you take them and go on an interview and don't discuss it with anyone.

Old 01-23-2017, 04:56 AM

40 posts, read 34,778 times
Yeah, you can be on good terms with your manager, have great reviews, then he quits and the new manager just doesn't like you. All of a sudden you are a horrible employee, he treats you like garbage, gives you horrible performance reviews, and you are fired. I've known people who have gone through that nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment