Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 1,319 times

Advertisements

I am 25 years with a disability and my dream is to get a helpdesk or desktop support job. I applied for several jobs for the spring semester but none of them called me in for a interview. I don't know why and I have a good resume I think. I am getting a certificate when I graduate not a degree. here is a link to my resume let me know if you think it looks good or not. I am really having trouble getting experience and getting my foot in the door. I want a helpdesk or desktop support job and I am not going to give up on my dream at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 08:38 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boychik0830 View Post
I am 25 years with a disability and my dream is to get a helpdesk or desktop support job. I applied for several jobs for the spring semester but none of them called me in for a interview. I don't know why and I have a good resume I think. I am getting a certificate when I graduate not a degree. here is a link to my resume let me know if you think it looks good or not. I am really having trouble getting experience and getting my foot in the door. I want a helpdesk or desktop support job and I am not going to give up on my dream at all.
Do you have previous IT work experience?

Get the a+ plus cert!

Old 01-23-2017, 12:09 PM

65 posts, read 64,399 times
Definitely get your A+ certificate! Do they have some kind of help desk at your college? Usually, they hire students to help with the help desk in their computer labs throughout campus.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:06 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boychik0830 View Post
If you can afford it, volunteer to work for free for a non-profit or charity (even if it is just weekends,) and it may lead to a job (or experience at the very least).

Old 01-26-2017, 12:37 PM

546 posts, read 763,854 times
Those jobs are grttingt less and less because PCs don't break so often. Try going to Software

Old 07-09-2017, 07:55 AM

2 posts, read 1,319 times
I was planning on getting a+ at some point but I need to study for it first.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:03 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,821 times
Those jobs are being sent out of country to India and other places. I wouldn't advise taking that route.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:20 PM

118 posts, read 180,922 times
I haven't seen any evidence that helpdesk jobs are going out of the country at least in the healthcare industry. There is a less of need for desktop support roles with desktop imaging done remotely though.

I would recommend going on the careers section of local hospitals and looking for helpdesk and desktop support roles. I started my IT career at a helpdesk and learned a lot of about basic networking, supporting personnel with remote access issues, and healthcare software. I was able to jump into an IT Application Analyst role from a helpdesk role and doubled my salary.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:21 PM

796 posts, read 930,125 times
to put this in perspective, I had a helpdesk job for a fortune 500 company when I was in college. I got paid and business credits for the job. that said, I did not particularly enjoy that job. of course this was the late 90's before we had remote access into computers so trying to explain stuff makes one want to pull their hair out. if you have any computer competancy skills, you should be able to score one of these jobs. I don't think they require a degree, but they don't pay that much either.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:36 AM

84 posts, read 175,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohardin View Post
I haven't seen any evidence that helpdesk jobs are going out of the country at least in the healthcare industry. There is a less of need for desktop support roles with desktop imaging done remotely though.

I would recommend going on the careers section of local hospitals and looking for helpdesk and desktop support roles. I started my IT career at a helpdesk and learned a lot of about basic networking, supporting personnel with remote access issues, and healthcare software. I was able to jump into an IT Application Analyst role from a helpdesk role and doubled my salary.
The whole "IT is being outsourced" mantra is seriously overblown in a lot of ways. Every time one of these threads come up on here ("should I go into IT? Is IT a good field" etc.), you can guarantee the first page will be rife with "don't do it, those jobs are all in Mumbai now!". I'll admit I live in Socal where IT can be a pretty lucrative gig, but larger companies will always need onsite personnel to handhold management/senior level execs, onboard new hires and teach them how to use their computers, manage IT assets/inventory, image machines, setup phones/laptops/desks/docking stations, help with A/V for company events and big meetings, etc. A lot of companies are starting to realize that in general you get what you pay for with outsourced personnel vs. onsite IT, and I've seen more than a few businesses regret and ultimately go back to a localized IT presence.

In my experience if you have an actual interest in the field and can even remotely pull your weight, you'll always have job offers. The hardest part is nailing your first gig, but from there you're golden. There are factors that play into this obviously (mainly physical location near major metro areas), but ever since I had my first lowly service desk position years ago I can't get IT recruiters to stop bothering me on LinkedIn. It's actually a position that's hard to find talent for as well because it's a perennial "stepping stone" job in the field. It can even be seen as a red flag when a guy's been in IT support for too long; recruiters think your soul has widdled away to nothing after your 100th ticket for helping Fran in accounting create her Outlook signature (if it wasn't readily apparent, I don't do service desk work any longer ).

As others have said, get a few certs, be as personable as you can and put forth the effort in the job search that will set you apart somehow. Whether that's a detailed cover letter, using an IT recruiting firm, hitting up every friend/acquaintance you've ever known to put in a good word, you'll go as far as your creativity will take you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment