Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 09:44 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,089,446 times

Advertisements

Your employer see's/saw potential in you. That's why they were willing to hire you for a senior level position and relocate you across the country. They have invested s lot of time, money, and energy into you. They WANT you to be successful. However, the reality is that at some point, they may have to face the reality that you're not the best fit. I don't think they are there yet, but they are close.

The onus is on you now to work your ass off of you really want to keep this job. Be sure to get specif examples of the behavior they want to see from the meeting tomorrow. Don't be defensive. Seek to understand where they are coming from. Then endeavor to respond.

I note from your original post that there is a bit of rationalization. At this point it does any matter whether they mentioned it was a senior level job or not. It is the job for which you are being paid. It doesn't matter if hey relocated you. They've given you plenty of opportunities to succeed. The ball is in your court now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 09:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,721,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpedia View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what is UI in this context?
Unemployment Insurance.

If the onus is on them, they have tried to address the poor fit. First they drew attention to where you were falling short. Next they got more specific about where you needed to improve. The onus isn't just on them. It's also on you to meet their goals. If you can't do that, tell them so at this meeting.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:49 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,634,618 times
If you're asking yourself, "Am I going to be fired?", the answer is probably yes.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:13 AM

9,863 posts, read 13,987,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
They would not call a meeting to fire you. If that was happening you'd simply be asked to come into an office with no notice

Not true. We regularly schedule meetings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
otherwise, many employees would sabotage as much as they could.

Contrary to popular belief, MOST people do not sabotage.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:19 AM

86 posts, read 105,266 times
That's the thing though. I've routinely had weekly calls with my boss and he's not once mentioned anything about me not improving. I've been getting positive feedback from him. It's his boss that called this meeting. I've already been working my tail off to ensure I can contribute to the success of the team.

Thank you for your replies. I'll be heading there in about 30 mins so should know soon. If I do get let go then I think I'll be taking a break and going to some national parks around the country! In my 6+ yr career, I have never taken a break like this...

Old 01-24-2017, 10:28 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,608,592 times
Lightbulb Whatever they offer, start reconnecting with your network, updating LinkedIn and your résumé.

They wouldn't invite "Boss's Boss, His Boss" if the purpose of the was immediate termination. If they offer you a path to stay with the company, accept it. But also update your resume and LinkedIn.

Unless you are in a protected class (and could be successful in suing for discrimination), actions to document lacking skills and creating an action plan does not necessarily mean the sole purpose is to build a paper trail to justify firing you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119
Whatever the outcome of this meeting is fired/improvement plan, it would be best for you to look for opportunities elsewhere. You days are numbered at this company. If this is not your last meeting, it will be coming sooner rather than later.

FYI, they don't care about your relocation, senior vs non-senior level. Bottom line is you have not been cutting it and they are tired of your admitted sub-par performance.
Since OP relocated from another state for this job, if he likes where he is now, then it would be a good idea to make a strong effort to network with peers in this new state, even if keeping the job.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:32 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,634,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Contrary to popular belief, MOST people do not sabotage.
True, but some do.

Years and years ago, I worked at a place where if people gave notice, they were marched out the door immediately with two weeks pay. That company felt that someone who'd announced they were leaving would hurt morale or try to talk others into leaving. Their choice. I was really bummed when I gave notice and they went into a frenzy and had me stay Turned out they thought I was irreplaceable, just not enough to treat me like I was. C'est la vie...

Old 01-24-2017, 11:17 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,637,889 times
Good luck OP let us know what happened.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:23 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,261,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpedia View Post
So I left work today and around 8 p.m., I checked my work phone and had a meeting invite from my boss' boss and his boss with an HR manager asking me to come to a mandatory meeting tomorrow morning. I started this job last April and haven't even hit my 12 month mark.

Am I getting let go tomorrow morning? What can I do to prepare myself to conduct in a calm / professional manner?

Some tidbits:
- Started last year
- Offer that I got was for a position at a corp level
- 6 months into the job, I had a 'check-in' meeting with my boss's boss
- He told me that my technical skills were not what they expected at the Senior Level (Mind you - My job offer and the job description never mentioned anything about Senior)
- Secondly I did not lie about my experience or my educational background
- Was asked to make a presentation at a team building activity
- After the presentation, my boss took me 1-1 and explained exactly the same thing
- A week later, I received a 'coaching' agreement with action items for both my boss and I (Only my action item had a deadline) - Asked if this is the 'if I don't meet it I'm fired document?' - Answer was NO. It's not that and was told we aren't at that position yet.
- Worked my tail off studying, reading more papers and trying to gain as much knowledge as I could
- Now received this meeting request out of the blue - and it's marked 'private appointment' in outlook.

Am I basically good as gone tomorrow morning? What can I do to prepare myself to conduct in a calm / professional manner? How can I mention in a professional way that the onus was also on them to ensure it was a good fit.

I really enjoyed my job and the team I worked with and I did everything I could to ensure the success of the team (whether it took long hours or anything). I relocated from another state for this job and I want to get that point across to them. I also want to reiterate the fact that the 'expectations' of the senior role they mentioned wasn't the role originally offered to me (I have the job description & the offer letter saved).

Definitely don't want to burn bridges, but also want to ensure my point is made.
Generally when people are terminated, there is usually someone from HR and your immediate supervisor and maybe their supervisor. They usually don't schedule this as a meeting. People have told me, they are sitting at their desk working and someone comes over and says "They want to see you in the conference room".

I suspect with all this management to be there, they are going to do a re-organization and want to speak with you about it privately before it is announced. They may want to work out details about it, and it could involve layoffs and moving people in and out of roles they might not be happy about. Seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to tell you that you are being terminated.

Might be to discuss a different role for you.

Or on the remote chance, there has been some sort of security breach and it involves the behavior of other employees and want to get everyone's input about it before they disclose this to anyone either.

Usually with that much management involved for a meeting, it is about to covering their own a** about something and not necessarily to fire yours.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 01-24-2017, 11:54 AM

86 posts, read 105,266 times
Thanks for all your replies. I just got out of the meeting. Was told that the business has been affected and there is a need to downsize. And my position along with other positions are being eliminated. No mention of performance or anything. Oh well. Time to work on my resume and start again. Onwards and upwards!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment