Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 08:42 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
hopefully trump brings back that level of opportunity because where I am if your laid off your pretty much screwed and have to leave the state or be unemployed over a year. Not sure where people are living where they are being constantly fired and hired because where I am if your laid off its kinda the end of the line.
Trump was elected President, not dictator or Emperor. He can't do a thing related to jobs. He's going to further protect the corporations, not the workers, he couldn't care less about the workers. Besides unemployment rate is low in the US:
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS14000000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 08:52 PM

86 posts, read 105,999 times
So another update. I found out that the latest 4 that were hired in our office (including me) were laid off today. In addition two people from our Michigan office were laid off! Makes me feel better as my manager truly was telling me I was doing better since the coaching talk!

Old 01-24-2017, 08:52 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
He can try, but it's unlikely he'll get it. Most companies will just confirm the employee's title and how long they were employed for. Anything else said (good or bad) could result in a lawsuit.
May I ask why you feel the need to keep perpetuating this falsehood/misconception/lie?

Old 01-24-2017, 08:54 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpedia View Post
So another update. I found out that the latest 4 that were hired in our office (including me) were laid off today. In addition two people from our Michigan office were laid off! Makes me feel better as my manager truly was telling me I was doing better since the coaching talk!
I'm sorry to hear about your recent job loss. Last time I was given the bad news, I felt my world came tumbling down. Kudos to you for taking it so well.

Do you have a plan for what comes next?

Old 01-24-2017, 08:59 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpedia View Post
I hope so too man. And thank you for your words.

So basically what happened was I interviewed for a role and was offered that role. 6 months into my stint, I was told that my 'technical skills' were not on the standard for a 'Senior person' at this role. I didn't even know I was hired as senior. Either ways, as others have mentioned they probably saw something in me based on my past employment history and experience and thought I could make it.

And I do not know of anyone else who's role has been eliminated as of yet! I'm the first one that I know of. Travel restrictions were already in place. I doubt there will be a lot of layoffs. At my level, the team was already quite lean; however there were more managers than employees. My meeting today was with two directors.
I was in this same position last year if it gives you any comfort.

I was hired by a small bank that was looking for an application administrator. Keep in mind this was an online only operation, so software was far more critical than at a normal bank. The IT staff was a five man show, doing everything from cabling what was a three story medical outpatient facility, racking equipment, moving stuff, security cameras, servers, the software, we were in charge of the generators, everything.

The manager said he wouldn't find anyone with the skills of the other app admin at the time of the interview, but I ended up getting an offer. I came from a back office position at a software company in the investment banking industry.

The role was not a fit from the start - they wanted a senior level expert in the software, whom they could have only gotten from a rival using the software or from the vendor. They also wanted extreme hours. The CIO was required to break down workstations and box them up during an office move. Biggest cluster I've ever seen.

After a few months, I got the same spiel you got, was given a 30 day PIP, and was basically sent packing.

I really have no idea why the hired me, and why when hired, they did nothing to help me succeed. Things like what we went through may ultimately have little to nothing to do with performance. You'll probably never know, and unless there is a clear lesson to take from it, it's probably pointless to speculate

Old 01-24-2017, 09:22 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsboost View Post
He can try, but it's unlikely he'll get it. Most companies will just confirm the employee's title and how long they were employed for. Anything else said (good or bad) could result in a lawsuit.
Not that same old tired line again! Once more - anyone can file a lawsuit for anything. And nothing a company says about a former employee will support a lawsuit unless it is untrue.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Had my position "eliminated" by an employer. They were so afraid of litigation/being sued for anything that the severance package was contingent on my signing a statement about vacating any and all rights to any sort of legal action against them in the future.
I've seen those too. I had to sign something like that when I was laid off in 2013.

Old 01-25-2017, 08:51 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Not that same old tired line again! Once more - anyone can file a lawsuit for anything. And nothing a company says about a former employee will support a lawsuit unless it is untrue.
It doesn't have to "support a lawsuit". You cannot respond to a suit with, "What I said is true!" and get it dismissed. If you're sued, you have to retain an attorney, appear in court, file motions, etc. Why take the chance? Why say anything other than, "I can confirm that Jane Smith was an employee from January 1 1980 to December 30 1988"? Nobody cares what's "right"... they care what's legal, and if you say "Joe Bob was fired for incompetence and i have a mountain of evidence backing that up", he can still sue you and cost you thousands, even if you'll ultimately win.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:57 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
True, but some do.

Years and years ago, I worked at a place where if people gave notice, they were marched out the door immediately with two weeks pay. That company felt that someone who'd announced they were leaving would hurt morale or try to talk others into leaving. Their choice.
Due to past experience of having a data base stolen by a 'christian.' Who let everyone know it at every opportunity possible. He was a busy boy those 2 weeks.

You give 2 weeks notice with us, we also tell you to pack up, we will pay you for those two weeks. 'Thank you for being part of the team and the success of our company. We are excited for your new opportunity and wish you the best on your career path.' We also have them sign something. Although its been 12 years since anyone has left, I'm sure that needs to be updated.

Just read the update - OP you have a good attitude! Stuff happens. The door was closed and a window opened, see where it takes you! Wishing you well!

Old 01-25-2017, 09:59 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I've seen those too. I had to sign something like that when I was laid off in 2013.
"had to," or "chose to."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment