Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 05:58 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,733,435 times

Advertisements

If I knew ahead of time (such as at the interview) that they did not give raises, I would not have accepted the position to begin with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 05:59 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
If I knew ahead of time (such as at the interview) that they did not give raises, I would not have accepted the position to begin with!
Well generally they probably won't tell you that. They will play the "Oh this is so much room for growth here, so many opportunities"... Then a few years later you're still stuck doing the same thing even if you're the highest performing employee they have

Wait a minute I thought there was a ton of room for growth here. ROFLMAO.

Many times its like talking to a bunch of used car salesmen

Old 01-24-2017, 07:48 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,723 times
No raises? Other employees would let you know. Until you find another job.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:36 PM

403 posts, read 363,741 times
Wow- didn't know it is a common thing for no raises??
I feel extremely lucky then, received about 28% increase within 2 years of working for my current company..

Old 01-24-2017, 08:43 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
It honestly depends on how much I was making, the local economy, and how strong of a chance I have something find better.

I work in an economically depressed area of an economically depressed state, and am probably overpaid. An up to 2% merit increase was given this year, but I haven't been employed there long enough to qualify. From what I hear, raises have been nonexistent for years. There is only other decent employer in this town, so people have to keep quiet if dissatisfied.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:54 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
The big reason I always worked on commission, defined bonus potential, and overrides on what others did when in management.

I always felt that I could find ways to increase my income, and made a heck of a lot more than if I was working for salary or hourly.

There was no way by my mid 20s, I could have worked and been earning over $125,000 a year in today's dollars working for salary or hourly wages. One time I worked in one of the absolute top department stores in my late 20s. The furniture, appliance, carpet, and electronic salespeople were earning $125,000 to $150,000 in today's dollars, and the clerks, etc., were earning 85 cents an hour or $37.50 per week (minimum wages). We all made considerably more money than the assistant store manager. From 1972 till finally retired, I was an investment real estate broker with my own office, and found out how to really make some money.

Personally I would never have been content, working for hourly wages or monthly salary, and hoping I could get a raise or promotion. I always got paid, a share of the value I brought to the company and the only way I would consider doing things.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:02 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Some people are just lazy, afraid of change, or really do suspect that the grass isn't greener on the other side. For the latter most, sometimes they were right when they jumped ship and realized it wasn't all that, or heard from contacts on the inside later on of problems.

Me... I loathe change, so even I'd stick around longer than I should've, but I'd be looking after 2 years (due to how pay raises are done every year, and not more frequently than that).

However, also make sure that you haven't maxed out given your occupation's pay scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
Not over a year if I can help it. If you do it right, you can typically get 10% or more of a raise by jumping ship. Unless you're very comfortable and satisfied with the job, I don't know why else you would stay.

What they do say about companies like that is that the talented, most productive workers will move on while the less talented and less productive workers will remain.

Some anecdotal stories:
  1. One of my coworkers decided to just apply for a place. They got back to him with a 50% raise. His current company would've "only" given him 6% (in quotes b/c the min. was 3%, so 6% was a typical high percentage)
  2. I met a lady at a career fair who was looking for a new job, but that's b/c in addition to not getting a raise for years, her commute was 1.5 hours one way. Her teenage son lives in the same house, but she hasn't seen him weeks on end!

Old 01-25-2017, 01:42 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Some people are just lazy, afraid of change, or really do suspect that the grass isn't greener on the other side. For the latter most, sometimes they were right when they jumped ship and realized it wasn't all that, or heard from contacts on the inside later on of problems.

Me... I loathe change, so even I'd stick around longer than I should've, but I'd be looking after 2 years (due to how pay raises are done every year, and not more frequently than that).

However, also make sure that you haven't maxed out given your occupation's pay scale.

Some anecdotal stories:
  1. One of my coworkers decided to just apply for a place. They got back to him with a 50% raise. His current company would've "only" given him 6% (in quotes b/c the min. was 3%, so 6% was a typical high percentage)
  2. I met a lady at a career fair who was looking for a new job, but that's b/c in addition to not getting a raise for years, her commute was 1.5 hours one way. Her teenage son lives in the same house, but she hasn't seen him weeks on end!
Either that or people dont want to be nomads living out of an RV constantly pulling kids out of school. Either that or constantly renting and never building equity into retirement through your home and other real estate OR having to constantly sell your house and incure massive expenses every time.

Its not trivial to just move around the country for your entire career and I would say its not really good for the nation to just have a bunch of loaner transients living in extended stays. The fact that this type of lifestyle is being peddled as the only means of getting ahead means our nation is sick, really sick.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:31 AM

255 posts, read 200,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The big reason I always worked on commission, defined bonus potential, and overrides on what others did when in management.

I always felt that I could find ways to increase my income, and made a heck of a lot more than if I was working for salary or hourly.

There was no way by my mid 20s, I could have worked and been earning over $125,000 a year in today's dollars working for salary or hourly wages. One time I worked in one of the absolute top department stores in my late 20s. The furniture, appliance, carpet, and electronic salespeople were earning $125,000 to $150,000 in today's dollars, and the clerks, etc., were earning 85 cents an hour or $37.50 per week (minimum wages). We all made considerably more money than the assistant store manager. From 1972 till finally retired, I was an investment real estate broker with my own office, and found out how to really make some money.

Personally I would never have been content, working for hourly wages or monthly salary, and hoping I could get a raise or promotion. I always got paid, a share of the value I brought to the company and the only way I would consider doing things.
There is typically more stability (less risk) with salaried/hourly positions, hence why they pay less. People who work on commission bare more risk, because one year they might make $125,0000 and the next only $30,000.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:54 AM

745 posts, read 480,040 times
A person has to decide what is more important: The possibility of making more in a new company where you might face layoffs, or staying put in a job that may have more security.

It is definitely a gamble. I would not just jump ship at the sole prospect of making more money. Sometimes there are things about a job (like atmosphere, morale) that are worth staying there for as opposed to going somewhere else for more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment