Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:21 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I have never received an application where the applicant refused to identify their current employer. If I were to receive one, I would probably dump it into the discard pile. I don't need that type of obstructionist behavior in my organization.
And I dont need forclosure and homelessness in mine. Be lucky you have an employers market for a little while longer. Its going to be sweet sweet when the tables turn.

The only reason employers get away with this is because of the teaming masses of desperate people who are unemployed but mostly under employed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 11:34 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
So, an employer should hire you with no real CURRENT references, or not knowing where you work NOW.

But based on where you worked BEFORE now, how is the employer supposed to confirm that you do indeed do what you say you do NOW, and not where you were before now.

I'm as pro worker as the next person, but wanting someone to hire you with saying where you work now is crazy. I find it hard to believe that if the roles were reversed that the OP or any one defending his/her position would hire someone without the most current information. That's ridiculous.

The bottom line is as long as the employer has the job -- and you want the job you're going to have to do what it takes to get the job.

Quote:
The only reason employers get away with this is because of the teaming masses of desperate people who are unemployed but mostly under employed.
I'm not saying the job market might not tighten up, but do I ever see a worker REALLY having the upper hand? Only those who manage to get a couple of offers at the same time….and even then the employer will usually always have SOMEone as a second choice.

If you don't need that employer's offer…they certainly don't need you…..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment