Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 11:27 PM

687 posts, read 616,311 times

Advertisements

There is no "free market" determining all wages, as there is no negotiation for the majority of working class jobs, especially when competing in global markets where standards of living, health and safety laws, and economic or political power vary widely.

It is a myth that a person would never agree to terms that are a disadvantage to them when they are desperate or without alternatives. This myth seems to lead to to a critcally flawed attitude about the people's worth, and at worst justifies abuse. A functioning free market that reflects true value assumes all participants can negotiate on equal terms, but that underpinning is absent in the economic system we have built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 11:37 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,908 times
He might be getting tips that raise his income. My dad always tips $20.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:14 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
You have in the first posting, gave the reason you were not hired.

You said the HR person said this would just be a foot in the door position, and the HM agreed.

In other words, with your qualifications you gave them the impression, you were working to get a job you were vastly overqualified for. You gave them the impression, you wanted that job to get with the company and would be putting in for the better job as the opportunity presented itself, and they probably were not looking for someone for a soon to happen promotion. They were looking for someone qualified to do that one job, not someone to promote. They wanted someone that was qualified for the job, and would be happy with that job, not someone they felt was just trying to sneak into the company for future advancement as soon as an opening came up.

Companies want to hire someone that can do they job they are offering, and will be happy with that job. Not someone that is trying to get a foot hold in a company, to set themselves up for a rapid promotion. Then they would have to do it all over again and hire someone again for the job you applied for. Most companies feel it is better to hire people qualified for that job and will be willing to stick around doing the job for a while.

Frankly you are not only overqualified, but they saw you as someone they could not rely on to do that job for a period of time, and was already looking for the next job.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:29 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
They're called suckers. No common sense. It's one thing to bust your end for a good job. It's another to go above and beyond and some lousy dead end job
AMEN Brother

Old 01-27-2017, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I only work one way: HARD everyday, stay late to get work done, take work home, and work on weekends. I make more than $8 hour, thank God, but have made much less and worked just as hard. I don't know how to work less than HARD everyday. The guy you're referring to is evidently the same way. It's hard to believe he hasn't been given a raise in over 10 years though? Is he in the country illegally? Or is he being paid more under the table while his paycheck states $8 an hour? Something doesn't sound right about the scenario as you've described.

No he's a local guy, lived in the area his whole life. I personally think he's either too dumb or too scared to ask for a raise. And of course, the cheap owners aren't going to go up to him and say "Wow, you've done such a great job these last 10 years, you deserve a raise" because that would cut into their bonuses and vacation funds.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
The fact that you look down on him, call him a "sap" and state that you don't respect "good little worker bees" who "work for peanuts" says a lot about YOU. Why do you you have to trash other people, especially when it does not affect your life one iota?
Because I can't stand for companies to take advantage of workers like that while they just sit back and take it like sheep. People need to stand up for themselves.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:46 AM

255 posts, read 200,094 times
You may consider that some people prefer this kind of work. Sure, it's not in the best environment and it's physically exhausting, but it's typically low stress and you don't have to deal with corporate office politics.

I have a degree from one of the top universities in the US and I'm a highly skilled analyst. I make well over the median per capita income for US citizens. Not many folks here can say that. I've worked in corporate for nearly a decade now. One of my goals in life is to pay off my existing debt and move somewhere south of the border and work the least amount I have to in order to support a sort of beach bum lifestyle with my SO. Does that make me a chump? Maybe, but at least I will be less stressed and enjoying life more. For some of us, life success isn't measured in a dollar amount. Rather, it's measured by happiness, free time, and lack of stress.

Last edited by Careerist; 01-27-2017 at 05:58 AM..

Old 01-27-2017, 05:49 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,659,752 times
Jimmy,
I think your the ONLY SAP..
You constantly belittle people who don't meet your expectations.. or perhaps you just like stirring **** up... Either way. i pity you..

Old 01-27-2017, 05:51 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
What do you guys think about the saps who are out there working themselves to death for practically slave wages. For example, I work at a car dealership and there is one detailer who practically lives there (works 8 to 8 M-F) does whatever he is told and has been with the company for over 10 years, yet still makes $8 an hour and has never gotten a raise. If I didn't get a raise within 2 years at most I would've been out of there. I don't respect someone who is just a good little worker bee that does what he's told and works for peanuts. Workers need to stand up for themselves.
I'd think they should look for another job. But I also know there may be other factors that prevents them from doing so. If I really wanted to help, I'd ask around my network and see if they are in the market for this individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Also how do you feel about slave driver companies that pay such low wages and expect so much out of their employees. How can they expect people to work themselves to death for $8 an hour while they sit back and rake in the fruits of their labor?
Anyone can expect anything. It's a different story to make it come to fruition. Obviously, since they have someone who does the job for $8, they're meeting their expectations.

In both of these cases, what you and I think really matters little.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:01 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,698 times
It's been for awhile now that if you want to make more money you have to jump ship to an employer that will. But this does not really apply to a worker who has low skills to no skills at all. When you have little skills to sell you pretty much have to take whatever an employer is offering because you have no leverage. And if you quit, who cares? The low wage employer has a stack of applicants to hire from.

It has always been that if you want to make more money you have to increase your skill set. A car detailer just isn't worth as much as a computer programmer with a computer science degree. Wages are based on supply and demand of a particular skill set. If a job can be done by anyone with very little training it just won't command a lot of money.

Life has always been tough for someone who has a learning disability, a low IQ, or is just plain lazy and unmotivated. This will be true forever unless some type of floor wage is given to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment