Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:45 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
So the older associates aren't innovative, hungry, and focused? Despite the fact that I'm a millennial, please remind me to never apply at where you work.

Whenever I heard the word "hungry" mentioned to me on a job interview, it was always a red flag. In my experience, it always meant they were looking for someone who would do everything for a tick above minimum wage. Can't tell you how many times I aced the hungry question only to see the company reveal $10/hr for the position.

(Not trying to imply that you're looking for young people at slave wages)
Is hungry the same as "passion" or "drive"? That's another set of words that sends me red flags, and every single time it's a position that expects you to work like a dog while the higher ups reap the rewards. Those people who want "hungry" employees tend to be full of themselves and eventually responsible for ruining the company image the moment they screw up (and try to blame the people that work under him/her). Seen it more times than I can count.

Nothing wrong with humility as long as you are productive. Nothing wrong with having passion and drive, but not to where you're making next to nothing for people who can fire you on a whim to protect their own self-interests. Good companies reward employees for keeping the company strong, bad ones tend to treat you like disposables unless you're at the executive level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 04:16 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,663,404 times
Everyone would like to believe that they would not discriminate, but we all do. If I hired hourly workers my major concern was job proficiency, not age or anything else. However, if I hired an exempt employee, that changed somewhat. I was partial to military officers, especially the ones that graduated from West Point or Annapolis. The job could be learned, the military bearing and confidence could not.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:30 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Everyone would like to believe that they would not discriminate, but we all do. If I hired hourly workers my major concern was job proficiency, not age or anything else. However, if I hired an exempt employee, that changed somewhat. I was partial to military officers, especially the ones that graduated from West Point or Annapolis. The job could be learned, the military bearing and confidence could not.
The difference being that the OP likes to discriminate based upon age, which is a protected class and therefore illegal.

If you have a preference for competence, that is simply good sense. If you have a preference for military vets, that too is ok, as anybody has an opportunity to enter the military.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:41 AM

283 posts, read 198,661 times
Some of you go on and on about cultural fit. What exactly do you mean? If your team consists mainly of 20-year-olds and you only hire candidates the same age. Sure that is cultural fit. It is also age discrimination.

Remember, you'll be old one day too. Would you like to be treated shabbily just because of your age? Discrimination of any kind is disgusting and repulsive.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:42 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Actually, the entire hiring process is a form of "discrimination."

A hiring manager is filtering and deciding which candidate will deliver the best results. The other candidates do not make it through the filter.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:52 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post
Discrimination of any kind is disgusting and repulsive.
Not true. If I disciminate agaist you because you wouldn't look me in the eye; perfectly fine. If I choose someone else because we had a better conversation; again fine.

Discrimination happens throughout our every day lives, all day long. It's usually fine. But discrimination based on religion, sex, nationality, age and sexual preference are illegal, and wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment