Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 08:29 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times

Advertisements

It is a stupid question. I really wanted to slap some of the people who interviewed me but I just smiled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 09:07 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
It would say it's a very good question. It eliminates a lot of people right off the bat.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:51 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
Maybe topic for another thread, but questions to ask an HR interviewer that should help get you through interviews.

1. Are you a complete brain dead moron?

2. Did you actually go to college, or did you buy that degree online?

3. How many times a week do you boink the boss to keep your job?

4. If I knock your computer off your desk before security arrives will it wipe that smug look off your ignorant face?

Well, you don't actually have to ASK them the questions, but you can THINK them and maybe your smile will make them hire you after all.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:08 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Originally posted by jamies
Maybe topic for another thread, but questions to ask an HR interviewer that should help get you through interviews.

1. Are you a complete brain dead moron?

2. Did you actually go to college, or did you buy that degree online?

3. How many times a week do you boink the boss to keep your job?

4. If I knock your computer off your desk before security arrives will it wipe that smug look off your ignorant face?

Well, you don't actually have to ASK them the questions, but you can THINK them and maybe your smile will make them hire you after all.
And the reason the ask some of the questions they do, is to eliminate people with your attitude towards corporations and businesses. They find that people with your type of attitude are bad for their businesses.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:37 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,945,273 times
With a divorce rate of 50% or higher in some European countries it is considered a smart a@@ question to ask where do you 2 see yourself in 5 years? YES!

Old 01-28-2017, 12:17 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
They read off a script.
Absolutely this..

It was a canned, pre-packaged question that she thought she was supposed to ask in an interview. Also, people in temp agencies tend to have an inflated view of their self worth.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:54 PM

1,316 posts, read 748,061 times
Not everyone doing interviewing everywhere is HR. I have served on a few search committees and participate in the interview process. In previous jobs, as well. This is not a stupid question, and many of you obviously don't understand what it actually means. It's a way of gauging 1) interest in the position (even if it is just temp) and 2) quality of the applicant. Many times, a "temp" position comes up because someone is filling in for another higher-up on the ladder--this may end up turning into a permanent situation, but may not. Say, for someone having major surgery or on parental leave. Or there may be a reorganization that has shifted staff, so an opening is there until it's determined how to reallocate workers.

When I ask this, I don't look for a stock answer, "Why, I'd be working here, of course!" I'm looking for an answer like, "I hope to be finished with college and in a permanent position in my field."

If the applicant offers a smart-ass answer, and/or appears to be trying hard to prove how much smarter he is than I am, well, he won't get a call back, and I will not wonder why he's applying for a temp position.

I have worked temp positions, and I treated them as seriously as I have any permanent ones. It's pretty simple, really. I want a good job, so I do a good job. Done, and done.

Old 01-28-2017, 04:52 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
leebeemi----You are exactly right. We see people on this thread, that would never be involved in the hiring process. They do not understand, that in many situations, that just saying I am qualified and why, is only part of the reason to hire someone. There may be 50 qualified by education and/or experience, and the may all be equal this way. Then the other factors are taken into consideration, and they can be the most important factors to base a decision to hire someone. Lets consider that there are 20 people qualified education/experience wise. Lets look at other factors.

1: Their attitude towards the company and the one doing the hiring. Are they cooperative, or are they giving smart ***** answers when asked a question other than professional job questions. The way they answer the questions they think are unnecessary, will show their attitude with others and superiors on the job. Treat it like a significant question (which it really is), if you want the job. This is one very important factor in considering to hire or not hire them.

2: One reason for these non job related question, is to throw off the applicant, who has practiced over and over answering questions they think are important. They are given a question they could not anticipate and could not have a memorized answer for. It shows how they handle something they are not expecting, and how they can think on their feet. It gives a glimpse into the real person, not the one giving practiced answers they have been expecting. How you answer these questions, is most often the deciding factor on who gets the job, when there are numerous people applying for the job, that are all about equal in experience and education. The actual answer is not as nearly important, as the fact you could while under pressure being asked questions you did not practice an answer for, but you try to give a reasonable and acceptable answer. In other words there is no right or wrong answer, but you getting the job may very well depend on how you answer the question. Your answer should be reasonable, and believable if you want the job.

Anyone that applies for job, after job he/she is qualified for and does not get any job offers, is only unemployed because they have the wrong Resume (on showing you are not qualified for the job) or they are doing a bad job in the interview. And the reason most fail the interview as they do not take serious the non professional job questions, but the ones they don't see any reason for them being asked, and give smart ***** answers.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:47 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Very few do. Only 27% of temp-to-hire jobs turn permanent and 18% overall according to the WE Upjohn Institute for employment research.
Hey, we agree on temp work Chemist!

When broached with the temp to perm solution I always asset that my understanding was this is a temp position, if I've been misinformed then I may not be the right solution for them, unless they are looking for someone to help them find a permanent best fit.

Temp to Perm solutions mean 1 of 2 things to me:
1. The turnover was unexpected, the organization has no idea what they need and they just haven't thought through how to break apart a position.

2. The manager is a real pill to work with and wants to retain the power to fire, and thus cloaks real hires by hiring temps.

As such, Temp to Perm solutions should not be sought by any candidate in my opinion. It gives managers an annoying carrot to throw at you. Oh, we'll be hiring x soon, but I really need.... Plus, some will try to get you to accept a lesser rate because it should go permanent. Don't give away your flexibility people, charge for it.

The reality is that if there's a great fit and potential for a job, then a place where you would want to work will hire you in some manner. Most of the time, this is simply a stretch for people to throw people at a problem without thinking and realistically puts you at a disadvantage because you'll have a finder fee if done through an agency.

Temp or Permanent, not both.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:45 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Hey, we agree on temp work Chemist!

When broached with the temp to perm solution I always asset that my understanding was this is a temp position, if I've been misinformed then I may not be the right solution for them, unless they are looking for someone to help them find a permanent best fit.

Temp to Perm solutions mean 1 of 2 things to me:
1. The turnover was unexpected, the organization has no idea what they need and they just haven't thought through how to break apart a position.

2. The manager is a real pill to work with and wants to retain the power to fire, and thus cloaks real hires by hiring temps.

As such, Temp to Perm solutions should not be sought by any candidate in my opinion. It gives managers an annoying carrot to throw at you. Oh, we'll be hiring x soon, but I really need.... Plus, some will try to get you to accept a lesser rate because it should go permanent. Don't give away your flexibility people, charge for it.

The reality is that if there's a great fit and potential for a job, then a place where you would want to work will hire you in some manner. Most of the time, this is simply a stretch for people to throw people at a problem without thinking and realistically puts you at a disadvantage because you'll have a finder fee if done through an agency.

Temp or Permanent, not both.

None of this has been my experience, but it may be common for some positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment