Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 11:12 PM

35 posts, read 38,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You need to ask your boss. No one here can do anything but speculate from you're going to be promoted, you are going to be fired, and everything in between.
I did ask my boss. All I can get is, "the regional manager just requested you there for help."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 11:49 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Great boss you've got there….(not)

Old 01-28-2017, 11:50 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
My take on this is, you might be there for a week and then be told, "Just one more week." and then it might be another week and so on. Your current manager could have requested that you be selected by name, to get you out of his office. When you finally are able to return, you might be told that your old job has been filled by someone else. Just a sneaky way to get rid of you, without having to admit it, up front.

Do these suggestions make you feel better? The fact is, that what I'm saying, is just an extension of the apprehension you, yourself, have expressed, quite likely without any reason at all.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:17 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Did it ever occur to you to just ask your manager these questions?? Companies do this all the time. If the DM says more help is needed, then that's the reason. Stop dwelling on it. If you are only willing to help for a week then make that clear, but don't be surprised if you don't get promoted or a decent raise. They may be doing this to see if you're a team player and may be looking to promote you.

Old 01-29-2017, 07:59 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue17 View Post
I beg to differ. I'm a great employee and have a great work ethic, but I do not trust many in positions of authority these days. I'm not the most social or bubbly, and I know a strong work ethic (unfortunately) comes second to being a social butterfly more often than not.
so, again - this sounds like the upper management likes you (and trusts you) to fill a needed vacancy. Do the job and see where it goes (unless you don't need the paycheck, then make a stink)

Old 01-29-2017, 11:26 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You've never had "that" boss have you? There are plenty of bosses who target the employees who do have "worth" as you put it because they are a threat to the bosses' ego. There are also plenty who believe keeping employees thinking that their job existence is random is a motivational tool.
Why would you want to keep working for someone if you think this is the case?

Old 01-29-2017, 12:01 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue17 View Post
My boss told me yesterday that I needed to go fill a slot at another one of our locations next week, and that it would be "approximately one week, but the manager of that location will let you know when they're done with you." I was told it was because they're shorthanded over there. However, there are at least three others in my same position/job title who could easily go over there, but the regional manager 'requested me specifically'.

I am over-thinking, and wondering if there could be more to this. Why would they request me specifically? I'm not excited about going to this new location because it's a bit of a drive for me - but as per my boss, I can't say no, it's mandatory because the regional manager requested me.

When hired on, I was told that my location would be one of the two near my house. If they try to permanently move me to this new location, is there any legal reason that I cannot say 'no' without fears of being terminated?

I'm hoping that they're really just needing temporary help, or that perhaps they're seeing how I work at other locations for advancement opportunities. But I just fear for the worst: that they will try to tell me I have to permanently change locations.
If it's true that the regional mgr asked for you specifically, I think that's a good thing. Have you ever met him/her?

Despite your arrangements regarding a close location, this is just a week (hopefully no longer), so buck up and do this uncomfortable thing for a week. Go with the flow. That's life.

If they want to reassign you to that location, just tell them that you took the job because its close location to where you live. If they insist, then you have to leave. Forget legalities. The real world is...you stay somewhere as long as the two of you meet each others needs. If not, you have to move on.

You don't want to be a door mat, but a good employee is a good team member and pitches in when and where needed, on a temp basis, with a good attitude. I could tell you the horror stories of places I've been sent to on spur of the moment.

Get used to it. This is how all jobs are. Things come up. The utmost consideration of any company is not whether Billy objects to being sent to pinch hit at Location B (and it should not be the utmost consideration).

Old 01-29-2017, 03:07 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Do you feel like you are good at what you do?
In the past I've been asked to help at at other locations for up to a month. I simply considered it recognition of my abilities to take care of problems in a quick, efficient and organized manner. It was a compliment IMO.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:21 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
If an employee see themselves as having value, they won't be jumping to negative conclusions as their first option. Only those who see no real worth as an employee or human, thinks the worst.
Agreed. Someone who thinks they are doing a great job would think it might lead to a promotion.

Old 01-29-2017, 04:04 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
It seems so many these days have a totally different way of looking at things. Had I been told what the OP was - that a higher-up had specifically requested I be given this assignment, I would have said 'please thank him for his confidence in me' and leapt at the chance to broaden my horizons, even if just for a short time. I would have been excited.

It would never have occurred to me that I should give myself an ulcer worrying about what 'might' happen or might really be 'happening'. I try to cross those bridges when I come to them (although, as a prepper, I guess it always good to be 'aware of one's environment'). I would just see this an opportunity to experience something different - even if for a short time, even if the job I was going to was the exact same as what I did daily - because the people, management, etc. would be different so it should be a good learning experience.

Good luck with the assignment, OP. Believe in yourself and use that to guide you. Try not to think ahead too much to waste your time and energy on 'what if's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment