Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:15 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
There's far more "public sector" jobs that pay in this range than most people realize.

For example, top fire department officers, police department officers, educational system administrators ... make close to this amount of money in many cities, especially places that are heavily unionized. Even their typical on the street officers make well over $100K per year, too. A degree in the field can help their advancement, but a talented officer in the right department can still advance without one.

With overtime, I've seen some municipal bus drivers make $100,000 per year.

I was mentioning this thread to a friend, and his cousin's son who is a Sacramento CA EMT (no college degree, just a number of college level courses) for a local fire district has a BASE SALARY of $192,000/year PLUS a full package of Benefits and paid retirement. He's 35 years old, and will have enough years of service in the system to retire with 100% of his last/highest salary at age 50 while retaining full medical benefits/life insurance package, etc.

Another friend's son is an EMT tech and "director of transport" for a private ambulance company in WI, and he's taking home well in excess of $150K. The director job is slightly more than a planner/scheduler position, and he knows nothing about fleet maintenance other than being a "purchasing agent" for the fleet using the guidelines from the corporate owner.

Absent a degree, there's a lot of commission paid sales jobs that will give one the opportunity to make good 6 figure incomes without a lot of sweat. I knew several "nut & candy" route sales people who took home well in excess of $100K per year, selling door to door (calling on businesses, not residential sales). With husband and wife both working the routes, it's well over $200K income in the household. Also, I know of several Life Insurance or General lines insurance salespeople who never got a degree ... but make well into 6 figures on commission/residuals sales income.

I also knew a number of commodities sales people who made well into 6 figures each year, again ... commission paid sales work. Some of them made this money consistently from year to year, some had huge fluctuations. Same for some bond sales reps I knew.

I know tech's at car dealerships in big cities that consistently earn high $100,000 incomes flat rating .... mechanical, as well as paint/body techs. I know one front end tech takes home well over $150K per year with a salary and commission pay plan.

Plumbers, electricians, project managers ... I know a lot make well over $100K per year; a couple of them have been allowed to buy into "employee owned" small companies and are seeing their ownership position grow in value each year by an amount larger than the income they receive. It's not the same as taking the money home, but they are getting wealth accumulation up in the range the OP's asked about.

Another friend has a backhoe and septic service truck business. Didn't have the motivation or smarts to go to college, and doesn't have employees. But his equipment doesn't move for at least a few hundred $'s per hour, and ... weather permitting each year ... he takes home $250K +++. He just got an unsolicited offer from a qualified buyer for $375,000 for the septic truck and accounts ... which still leaves him his backhoe and truck/trailer and business. Not bad for a 50 year old with a bit of business smarts and a desire to do a bit more fishing and hunting.

The highest salaried income I've seen in a non-degree'd position is a gaming software developer who is knocking down a $1.5 million salary from one of the big players in that business. He used to make only $900K, but a competitor made him a job offer last year and his employer was willing to match the offer. Using nothing more than his intelligence and an interest in playing computer games, he turned his passion into a very good living. His dad mentioned to me that the yearly "bonus" paid the last quarter of 2007 almost matched the kid's salary for that time period. They're having to scramble to figure out how to shelter the income for the grandkids now.
While some of this seems plausible, I don't buy the EMT with a base salary of 192K....EMT's do not make any where near that money....

Employment - City of Sacramento
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2008, 03:15 PM

658 posts, read 830,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
While some of this seems plausible, I don't buy the EMT with a base salary of 192K....EMT's do not make any where near that money....
Agreed. "Director of transport for a private ambulance company" sounds like a business partnership with profit sharing involved. EMTs earn less than 50k in WA state. I don't believe 192k. Perhaps a typo? $19k sounds closer for a starting wage, but a bit too low.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:26 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,573 times
Yes seriously - I know of people who do that & if they are making that much they are keeping their secret very well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesandveybe View Post
Agreed. "Director of transport for a private ambulance company" sounds like a business partnership with profit sharing involved. EMTs earn less than 50k in WA state. I don't believe 192k. Perhaps a typo? $19k sounds closer for a starting wage, but a bit too low.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:45 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
You aren't going to beleive this but a Sales Manger at a car dealership (they work "The Desk") makes 250K+

And also a Finance Manager at the car dealership can make 250K+, you know that guy (or gal) in the back that does allt he paperwork and has you sign all the documents and tries to sell you the Car Wax kit? Yeah - that guy makes BANK

Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
A DRUG DEALER (cocaine, heroine.etc.). You wouldn't believe how well they do. It's insane.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 PM

516 posts, read 1,887,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
Some jobs may take months to fill because it has a very specific set of requirements. That's why companies pay senior recruiters so much to cut this time consuming process so their mission critical projects can be completed on schedule (time is money, right?). Internet is great for easy jobs like helpdesk, system admins, DBA, .NET developers, etc..., but it's not so helpful for highly specialized skillset (such as embedded firmware developer who knows OO programming & design, network stack programming and Adobe Flex programming all in one package). If a company doesn't utilize a recruiter to fill their openings, who's gonna spend time searching for these skills on top of their day-to-day workload? That line of thinking is 'penny wise pound foolish'.
Of course, they could look at hiring someone who is intelligent and competent and able to learn the specialized skill set - and probably have someone filling the spot and doing the job sooner than they would by looking for someone who already has that skill set.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:17 PM

838 posts, read 1,210,727 times
Drug dealer's are very intelligent

Old 08-26-2008, 12:44 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTexan View Post
Some do make that transition but you would be suprised to know many of my colleagues have a variety of very general (bachelors) degrees.

I have been in speciality sales for 3 yrs and here are some of the degrees possessed by my co-workers:

Business, Mass Communication, Biology, Education even one had a degree in Music Appreciation (yes, music appreciation and he was a top rep!)

Most importantly, hiring managers are looking for a candidate that can communicate effectively and has the abililty to understand their clients needs by building relationships.

You do not need an advanced degree to be in medical/pharma sales. That is what the new hire training program is for. Companies invest heavily in their training programs to ensure reps are knowledgeable about their products.

It's easier to teach someone about the product they will be selling compared to teaching someone how to sell, present and respond and effectively communicate with your doctors.

Bottom line: don't let advance degrees fool you into thinking you can make more $$$ unless you will be working in a highly specialized area.

Basket weaving or biochem, a bachelors gives you the opportunity to interview and sell yourself over the compeition.

I disagree, a Bachelor degree is a dime a dozen. I have 2 degrees, and no one will hire me for sales, although I have previous sales experience, not a lot, but I did get clients.
I am a good communicator, know that finding out the need of a potential customer is tops.
But no one will hire me, because they want 21 year olds, not someone in their 50s.
But no 21 year old worked in as many jobs as I have, with as much knowledge of those product lines.
I once designed a part for a company and they used it.
I think I would be good at sales, but no one will hire me, they want a significant track record.
Unless you want to work those "commission only" telemarketer type of sales.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
A DRUG DEALER (cocaine, heroine.etc.). You wouldn't believe how well they do. It's insane.

I was thinking the same thing too. And all those flights to Central America....

Old 08-26-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Drug dealer's are very intelligent

Could go under Pharmaceutical sales...and distribution??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment