Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 02:23 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,666 times

Advertisements

I have people who talk to me about it at work, and I am of sound mind I really don't want to hear it! Not at work...please talk about SOMETHING else! But this one co-worker I have relates everything back to politics, and the environment. Its just not an issue I feel passionate about, so I bore SOOO easily! Yeah, yeah, I recycle, and I use an eco car...but come on, really! Is that an issue I can really do anything about!!! I'm just one person in the pond...please talk about golfing or something else!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 02:49 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
1. Tell them to stop
2. If that doesn't work talk to their boss
3. If that doesn't work talk to HR
4. If all else fails, headphones
This is exactly what you do! I have a rule not to talk about politics or religion at work. However, if someone is forcing their political or religious beliefs on you at work, that is something that HR needs to be involved with!

Old 02-02-2017, 02:50 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
But then what if two other colleagues start talking about the local soap TV or realityTV?

What about those colleagues that talk about "last night's big game!"

What about people in the office who discuss other everyday pastimes?

Should individuals have the same right to say "stop talking about x,y,z because it offends/bores/distracts me!"

I would also ask if these coworkers of yours are talking politics all day long, or just for a few minutes at a time?

If it's a constant issue and other people are equally distracted ,then take it further with your manager
Anything that offends another person is off limits at the workplace. You might not think something is offending, but if someone else thinks it is then that's all that matters.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:17 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,150,696 times
Topics that should not be discussed, race, religion,sex, and political views.

People are at work to get paid, not to deal with others distorted, vulagar opinions

Old 02-02-2017, 05:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,631,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Topics that should not be discussed, race, religion,sex, and political views.

People are at work to get paid, not to deal with others distorted, vulagar opinions

^^^^this.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:47 PM

745 posts, read 479,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
It's illegal in a lot of states to record people without their consent.

Besides, I think that would not be a good use of your time at work.

Why can't you just address them directly and politely to let them know that you don't feel comfortable with the tone and message of their discussions? That would be the mature, professional thing to do. If it continues after that, then escalate to management.
This is the best way to handle it.

I learned the hard way politics is not good to talk about at work. Nobody got fired or anything. But I was sometimes the initiator and sometimes others were and it just leads to tension and hurt feelings between people that need to work together.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:37 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,741 times
It's rampant where I work and its all anti-trump.
The problem is the management will never do anything about such a minor thing.
They are all liberals probably and it would just end up badly for me.
Very sad.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:42 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,255,892 times
I don't tolerate anyone making comments like the OP mentioned. Creating a toxic,borderline hostile working environment by saying things about killing anyone cannot be tolerated. Some people just don't understand that the office is a workplace,not their living room.

Old 02-02-2017, 11:24 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,518 posts, read 6,325,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
A coworker that sits across from me (cubicles) constantly talks politics, saying things like "Hitler is running our country now, I wish someone would kill him." Is political talk allowed in the workplace or is there some way to put a stop to what basically amounts to hate speech that could be construed as dangerous depending on how seriously you take his ranting.
Never talk politics or religion. And never get in a pizzing match with the office psycho.

When I'm around people like that and they're in my space I just keep changing the subject to something really boring.
If you're really good at it they will avoid you like the plague.

"Hitler is running our country now" That reminds me my grandma is running for President of the National Button Society. .................................................

"I wish someone would kill him" That reminds I have to help Uncle Ed install a new kill switch cable on his riding mower............................................. .

Old 02-03-2017, 04:45 AM

745 posts, read 479,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Have you ever considered looking for another job?
I am not sure why anyone should suggest this. If the person likes their job and does not want to leave, this is definitely the WRONG way to go.

HR departments and workplace policies exist for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment