Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:29 PM

67 posts, read 49,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Proving rocky's point once again.
no,it proves you dont understand what I'm saying.

but then again I am still correct. Before the industrial revolution being self reliant and or bartering was all that was needed. Now you are judged by and a slave to money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 08:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,002,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldjackson View Post
no,it proves you dont understand what I'm saying.

but then again I am still correct. Before the industrial revolution being self reliant and or bartering was all that was needed. Now you are judged by and a slave to money.
No, I completely understand what you are trying to say, I simply think that you have overlooked critical issues.

Sure, it is theoretically possible for us to live at a subsistence level in an agrarian, barter based economy. Whether the planet could support more than 7 billion people is another question, but let's leave that aside for a moment.

What would not be possible is sustaining a modern, technological society without an advanced economy using things like money as a marker for value. How could you possibly trade your turnips in a way that supports offshore oil wells, electronics research, and computer fabrication plants?

I will happily trade a life of backbreaking physical labor, disease and seasonal starvation for a monetary system that allows me to take vacations to interesting parts of the world, eat exotic cheese and drink good wine.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
No, I completely understand what you are trying to say, I simply think that you have overlooked critical issues.

Sure, it is theoretically possible for us to live at a subsistence level in an agrarian, barter based economy. Whether the planet could support more than 7 billion people is another question, but let's leave that aside for a moment.

What would not be possible is sustaining a modern, technological society without an advanced economy using things like money as a marker for value. How could you possibly trade your turnips in a way that supports offshore oil wells, electronics research, and computer fabrication plants?

I will happily trade a life of backbreaking physical labor, disease and seasonal starvation for a monetary system that allows me to take vacations to interesting parts of the world, eat exotic cheese and drink good wine.

ok, i'm sorry if it came off as mean.

money has no value,its just paper. Electricity doesnt happen because a stack of cash is being burned.

I'd say it was pretty simple to trade what was needed for who needed what else.

wifi= people are being charged for an energy in the air.
lol thats pretty much modern witchcraft.

then again,its been said that people that live in areas off the grid arent as edgy and less stressed with no radio waves around them.

we are already using free energy. Someone just decided they get to be the boss and now you have to pay for it

Old 02-12-2017, 09:36 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,002,641 times
Quote:
ok, i'm sorry if it came off as mean.

money has no value,its just paper. Electricity doesnt happen because a stack of cash is being burned.

I'd say it was pretty simple to trade what was needed for who needed what else.

wifi= people are being charged for an energy in the air.
lol thats pretty much modern witchcraft.

then again,its been said that people that live in areas off the grid arent as edgy and less stressed with no radio waves around them.

we are already using free energy. Someone just decided they get to be the boss and now you have to pay for it
No offense taken, I didn't think you were mean. A bit idealistic perhaps, but not mean.

Yes, money only has the value that we, as a collective society, assign to it. But since we collectively agree to it, that does give it a de facto reality.

Wifi is a bit magical. It also works. But it is supported be a huge infrastructure of fiber optic cable, complicated computer servers, arcane programming, power plants burning coal/oil pulled from thousands of feet underground.

Without an easily understood means of valuing stuff, you simply cannot build that infrastructure. Verizon isn't going to take a dozen chickens for your internet service. Can you imagine the bill collection office, and the freezers, bins and storage containers they would have to have to collect chickens, turnips, random bits of mined metal and furniture? Then they pay their employees with this?

Sorry, romantic thought but won't work.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:05 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,258,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
The old days are gone. People need to work their job and have a side business on the side to build wealth. Company loyalty towards the employee can only be seen in history books.
This

And it's about maturity more than anything. Inexperienced young people feel entitled. I think we were all this way once. We wanted to have a calling or passion. Then reality kicks in. Everything ultimately becomes a job. Those who are successful at it are disciplined. I knew some famous actors. Their life is anything but glamorous. Most of the time they are working. They typically work long days and sleep in trailers. They make a lot of money but rarely get to enjoy it. It becomes a job.

If you want to be successful at what you do, get over the idea that you have a career. It's a job. Focus on the job. Be disciplined. Do things you don't like to do. Look at Tom Brady. He is QB of the Patriots and won 5 Superbowls. The guy goes to bed 8:30 every evening and wakes up at 5:30. He doesn't eat anything that tastes good. When he is not practicing or spending time at the practice facility, he is with his family, doing his second job. It's not glamous. It's a job at the end of the day.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This

And it's about maturity more than anything. Inexperienced young people feel entitled. I think we were all this way once. We wanted to have a calling or passion. Then reality kicks in. Everything ultimately becomes a job. Those who are successful at it are disciplined. I knew some famous actors. Their life is anything but glamorous. Most of the time they are working. They typically work long days and sleep in trailers. They make a lot of money but rarely get to enjoy it. It becomes a job.

If you want to be successful at what you do, get over the idea that you have a career. It's a job. Focus on the job. Be disciplined. Do things you don't like to do. Look at Tom Brady. He is QB of the Patriots and won 5 Superbowls. The guy goes to bed 8:30 every evening and wakes up at 5:30. He doesn't eat anything that tastes good. When he is not practicing or spending time at the practice facility, he is with his family, doing his second job. It's not glamous. It's a job at the end of the day.
lol sports is staged entertainment. That has nothing to do with reality. He wins because its a good storyline for the league. He has nothing to do with it.

same with actors,thats not a real job.

success is a myth,work is slavery for the rest of us who are taxed

Old 02-14-2017, 06:55 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,632,268 times
Quote:
lol sports is staged entertainment. That has nothing to do with reality. He wins because its a good storyline for the league. He has nothing to do with it.

same with actors,thats not a real job.

success is a myth,work is slavery for the rest of us who are taxed

I don't believe any of this to be true.

People who work hard, are disciplined, and never quit succeed. You may not succeed at first, but if you keep trying you will. We work because we need money. To be successful you must find out what skill you possess that has a value and then offer that value to an employer for a set amount of money.

Money is what we trade for goods or services we cannot create ourselves. We are very much still on a barter system just like what has been used for centuries. However we barter a piece of paper.

You are not forced to work. If you decide to live off the grid and have the survival skills necessary you can survive outside of the normal system. The fact is that most people don't have those skills and have no desire to obtain them. This is the same with people who aren't successful with work. They have no motivation and no desire to succeed or to learn and hone any type of skill. Their biggest skill is to complain about wanting more for less.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:11 AM

658 posts, read 845,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Let me preface this by saying that I like my job. I just want to comment on what I've been observing as a "young professional."

We hear a lot about how society gives women "unfair standards of beauty" by barraging them with pictures of super-thin models. I would submit that the same type of thing is happening in the career world. That is, Americans are being given unrealistic ideas about the role of their vocation in their life and self-esteem.

The following are a few of the phenomenons I've witnessed.
  • Employees are supposed to feel proud of who they work for. The problem with this is that every career field is a pyramid structure where those who are competitive enough to be in the top 5% get to work at top-tier companies that they feel proud of and the other 95% has to work for low pay at boring companies. It's a recipe for dissatisfaction.
  • Talk of "Average is over" or "No tolerance for C performers." In other words, there is no longer room for Dilbert-type people in the corporate world. The pudgy guy who works in a cubicle and does an average amount of work can no longer survive.
  • You're supposed to "enjoy what you do for a living" or "live to work". There is no point in debunking this idea since it's complete nonsense. My ideal job would be a professional tennis player, but if I actually decided to pursue that career then I would make $0/year since no one would sponsor me and I couldn't any tournament prize money.
  • Needing to "keep your skills up-to-date." I imagine that if you were a union worker in an auto plant in the 1950s or a blacksmith in the year 500 A.D., you didn't have to spend your free time outside of work learning more skills to stay competitive enough to be employed. What's worse is that today "staying competitive" often means paying for overpriced degrees or certifications.
Your last list point spoke volumes to me. Pretty soon, those degrees and certificates that were deemed necessary will be basic because everyone will have them!

Old 02-14-2017, 07:41 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,079,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
Your last list point spoke volumes to me. Pretty soon, those degrees and certificates that were deemed necessary will be basic because everyone will have them!
What is really upsetting is that if you were a new grad, particularly during the recession, you have six months to a year to get on track professionally. After that, the degree "goes stale."

Old 02-14-2017, 09:37 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,342,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What is really upsetting is that if you were a new grad, particularly during the recession, you have six months to a year to get on track professionally. After that, the degree "goes stale."
It's not like back in the old days anymore where you get a degree and anyone will hire you
Those days are long gone

That's why it's important to get Student jobs/internships or part time jobs related to your field while you are in school.

That's how I ended up getting a permanent position and still with the same company I intern for since college for 10 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment