Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 10:27 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
What would you think of them and doing this?........
None of my business, and long as I don't have to sit next to someone who never bathes. Van dwellers have options for showering, if they want to make the effort.

If I really liked them and we were good friends, once or twice a year, I might take them a heat and eat meal or some homemade cookies, since cooking in a van isn't going to be the easiest thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,610,872 times
If it's someone making a 6 figure salary, then I wouldn't worry about them unless they seemed like they had mental issues. Now if it was someone working part time at Home Depot, then I'd be very concerned and would talk to them....see what I could do to help them out....even just offering to help with their laundry or showers.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:29 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
It is honestly none of your business where your co-worker lives.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:25 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'd be concerned. It's a sign of instability. It would be a problem where I work.
Some workplaces it would, but a smart employee would usually know this and not reveal it. Its likely easy as a mailbox with a street address can be obtained and its unlikely management goes over to employees addresses. In fact, there are many invisible homeless people that live similar where no one really knows. With the high cost of housing esp post recession this became more common.

I was close to being homeless once, was staying in a run down motel with junkies and prostitutes while going to work in a crisp suit. I never revealed a thing to anyone. Even my own family didn't know. I found a room in a apt and stayed years, still in contact with the person I shared the place with years later. Life can take you down roads of darkness, redemption and uncertainty really fast.

Old 02-08-2017, 11:55 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Some workplaces it would, but a smart employee would usually know this and not reveal it. Its likely easy as a mailbox with a street address can be obtained and its unlikely management goes over to employees addresses.
Yes, but..... unfortunately I have worked with nosy people who would, in fact, follow other people home from work to see where they would go. Or, drive by their house when they called in sick, to see if their car was parked at their house. Although it may be hard to believe people waste their time and go to such extremes to spy on their co-workers, they really do these things.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:00 PM

44 posts, read 35,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
None of my goddamn business.
^This is awesome!

Old 02-08-2017, 12:07 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I think if the person living in a van/mini van/SUV ect, can take care of basics of life such as eating, grooming, and health and sanitation needs, then living in a vehicle is no big deal.

It's true that we have an affordable housing crises in this country. Not everyone can afford a McMansion or luxury condo. Start building affordable housing instead of making it a crime to be homeless.
This is true. You can join a gym for $9.99/month, and take showers there, and people that are living in their vehicles don't park in residential neighborhoods. You can keep an ice chest in your vehicle, so you don't have to eat out all the time

Last edited by moved; 02-08-2017 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 12:08 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
It is honestly none of your business where your co-worker lives.
This is true.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:08 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,025,923 times
Archibald estimates that the couple is able to save roughly $25,000 a year by living in the camper van, which includes a small kitchen with a pantry and a refrigerator, a sleeping area and a small bathroom, but not much else.

“I think maybe way down the road we might think about setting down some roots, but I like the fact that we’re so mobile and we can go wherever,” Porco said. “I don’t see us changing our situation.”
Mobility and savings aren’t the only benefits of living in a van. Both Porco and Archibald said the lifestyle is freer. They worry less, they get out more, and they even end up eating healthier.
Having less space to store food means shopping more frequently and eating fresher meals, Porco said.

They are in their prime and could easily be making more money now than as they age. Could always get laid off. They are living as if they are on vacation, something we all should be doing really but most of us are slaves to our home. Good for them. No kids so they can do this just fine. And it's HEALTHIER for them, no doubt.

On another note, they probably have a workplace which provides a shower and maybe, a gym to work out.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:18 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Yes, but..... unfortunately I have worked with nosy people who would, in fact, follow other people home from work to see where they would go. Or, drive by their house when they called in sick, to see if their car was parked at their house. Although it may be hard to believe people waste their time and go to such extremes to spy on their co-workers, they really do these things.
Following an employee home is borderline stalking, and if they told thier boss they did this they would be labeled as a fruitcake! You must have worked with some characters. The checking up on an employee who called out would not be shocking though. Although employee personal info is confidential its scary how easy it is to find an address with just the full name.

One thing is certain-people love gossip. From the tabloid rags to the water cooler people love peeking into the lives of others.

I recall being asked where I live during my Bates Motel experience, I gave the general area only. This was new employees making conversation. Never would I tell a soul there at that time. Loose lips sink ships as they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment