Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:47 PM

148 posts, read 562,985 times

Advertisements

Have been looking to relocate to Union County NC for 3 years now. Finally decided to cut bait here in NY and leave the rat race here. But, we are in our 40's, 3 kids and relocating w/ no jobs. Home is on the market and our fingers are crossed. We have enough savings to last us a year. Has anyone been in the same boat? Is it worth the stress of finding employment for a better overall quality of life? By the way, husband is in finance/brokerage. Anyone want to offer him a job??? Me, I'll take just about anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 05:51 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Please check the Charlotte thread in North Carolina. You will pretty much be advised against doing this, but if you have a year's worth of subsistence, you might be able to make it. Finance is alive in Charlotte (I am in Finance in Charlotte) however, there are many many applicants for the same job so the competition is stiff. Narrow down his field, and check the thread.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:49 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,264,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad5117 View Post
Have been looking to relocate to Union County NC for 3 years now. Finally decided to cut bait here in NY and leave the rat race here. But, we are in our 40's, 3 kids and relocating w/ no jobs. Home is on the market and our fingers are crossed. We have enough savings to last us a year. Has anyone been in the same boat? Is it worth the stress of finding employment for a better overall quality of life? By the way, husband is in finance/brokerage. Anyone want to offer him a job??? Me, I'll take just about anything!

I did it from Buffalo to San Diego and then San Diego to Rock Hill SC. I sold my house and car and then went out to SD. Searching for the perfect place I guess. Cashed out the market, now regretting it.

Now were looking to head back to SD.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:01 PM

28 posts, read 194,109 times
We are thinking about doing that and going to Arizona. I checked out one of the biggest Staffing agency out there. They contacted me and offered me a job as soon as I get there. Tell your husband to look up some Staffing Agency and send them a resume. It just might work. It did for me. Now, I will feel better about going. We are in our fifty's. You only live once, wish you the best in whatever decision you make.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,781 times
Quote:
I'm in my 40's as well; I don't think it's exactly crazy especially if you have a nest egg. For me, what I would do is some preliminary testing, apply for some jobs and see what kind of bites you get. As far quality of life, I'm all for it, as I think that if one is unhappy with their quality of life, I think it manifests into physical symptoms and affects everything negatively. I wish you and your family the very best in the future.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Finance/brokerage is very vague. What exactly does your husband do?
Wachovia just downsized brokerage, BancoPopular/LaSalle exited brokerage, Morgan Keegan is going through some rough times, SunTrust is realligning. There are still jobs in finance/brokerage; lots of them.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:44 AM

33 posts, read 144,352 times
Quote:
Is it worth the stress of finding employment for a better overall quality of life? By the way, husband is in finance/brokerage. Anyone want to offer him a job??? Me, I'll take just about anything!
Why the quality is definitely worth it! My comparison is leaving a stressful job/work environment to realign, and find something more satisfying.

You just have to do it, but be sensibly prepared. The sanity and peace outweighs the hassles of finding another job, and living off savings wears thin, but the thing that keeps me going is thinking of those people stuck doing that job I hated. As Donna7 says above, bad situations do manifest.

When I get down, I think about those guys stuck doing that job, and laugh it off. Suppose you will do the same about people in your old neighborhood...

Old 03-04-2008, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,961 times
My family and I are moving to Fort Mill for Chandler, AZ. No jobs. We've been searching careerbuilder, especially staffing agencies, with no bites. I work in Accounts Payable, and my wife in Medical Billing. Were both positive we will find something, it just seems wierd in the Charlotte area compared to Arizona. Here you send out one resume on careerbuilder and your getting calls for jobs that do not even apply to what you applied for. Anyway, we are looking forward to getting in the area. I'm sure being there will make it easier.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
Ive been thinking about this a lot lately. I made the mistake of mentiong my thoughts to my boss (also a good friend...though sometimes I forget my boss). and she kinda freaked out and told me DONT TELL ANYONE THAT. if your gonna do it, do it, dont tell us 3 months in advance!

But I want to tell people cause I want to do it...the longer I stay here the more they put ideas in my head that my job will be better next year, it will pay more or situaitons that I hate here will improve (they keep gettin worse and more stressful).

I thought it was a nice thing to say...hey I am giving you 3 months notice!

I want to move to colorado....It would be great if I found a job in advance, but if I dont....well I feel like I need to give myself a date that I have to leave, so that mentally I am preparing by setting money aside, and I wont keep going back and forth in my head about what could be....while the years fly by.

If say, I am leaving on July 1st -- no matter what. I can plan and be mentally ready.

Oh it sure is hard to leave that reliable pay check though, enter the unknown, and who knows what kind of job you will end up in...could be worse!

And I know the place doesn't always make up for it. I had an awful job in southwest florida...I was just as unhappy even though I could go to the beach every day after work!

Old 03-05-2008, 03:49 PM

24,544 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Get a grip please. First SC now CO. Then setting money aside as of March to move during the middle of the year? When was the last time you packed up and moved? Time for a serious plan. Otherwise you will be exactly HERE in 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment