Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 10:54 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Okay, so...IF I were to be offered a full time position with my current organization, would it be inappropriate to accept, work for 4 months, then quit? I they found out I knew I would leaving, wouldn't they be pizzed? I really don't want to burn any bridges because at this point they would give me a good reference.
The job you HAVE secured is dependant on grant money? I'd be wary as what of they don't get the grant next year? As one said "President's can put a lot of wrinkles in hiring plans"

If they did give you a better offer, now wouldn't you take it or have you become irritated by your current employer that even so you'd only stay 4 more months and leave? If you do, don't ever plan on going back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 11:28 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Okay, so...IF I were to be offered a full time position with my current organization, would it be inappropriate to accept, work for 4 months, then quit? I they found out I knew I would leaving, wouldn't they be pizzed? I really don't want to burn any bridges because at this point they would give me a good reference.
It depends on your manager.

If I had promoted you from PT to FT, then you left four months later for a job you had already accepted before the promotion, I would certainly be annoyed.

If somebody called me for a reference I would probably tell them that I had promoted you because of excellent work, but you had accepted the promotion under false pretenses. Good worker, can't be trusted, not eligible for rehire.

Other people will have other opinions.

Have you considered telling your current boss that you will be leaving in 4 months, but if they need additional help you are willing to put in additional hours?

Old 02-18-2017, 12:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Nothing sketchy about it. It's a teaching position at a brand new school. I have a signed contract. Perfectly normal.
So are you guaranteed employment? No chance of a budget cut or changes in the new fiscal year? Probably not.

I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. Keep interviewing.

I have known a few people who teach(one does music) and they have had to scramble when they found out their program or the budget was being cut.

Old 02-19-2017, 01:01 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
The job you HAVE secured is dependant on grant money? I'd be wary as what of they don't get the grant next year? As one said "President's can put a lot of wrinkles in hiring plans"

If they did give you a better offer, now wouldn't you take it or have you become irritated by your current employer that even so you'd only stay 4 more months and leave? If you do, don't ever plan on going back.
omg, no, not grant money. The job can't disappear at this point.

The job I signed the contract for will not go away. I may not like it, and they may not like me, and I may choose to move on after a year. But I've been interviewing for my current organization for over a year and they keep passing me over so why would I hold out for them? The pay would be lower and there is a short ladder of advancement with no advancement program in place.

The new job has higher salary, better hours, and an advancement program...I could move up in 3 years.

There is no way the 'promotion' at my current employer would be 'better'. It would be easier work when I was there, but evening and weekend hours.

I guess what is weird to me about this is that I know the people in my current org. These are nice people doing sincere work and not faceless HR people. The supervisors in my current building will be HAPPY that I've found a job I feel is a good fit.

It is unlikely I will be able to keep my new job a secret from now until June, when I could give 2-4 weeks notice. But I don't want to act like a lame duck or have anyone treat me like a lame duck so I think it is best to try to hide it for a while. Very hard to do. Just yesterday I had a conversation with a coworker in another building who is thinking of applying for a job with the same company I'm going to. I knew more about it than she did, but I kept my mouth shut. That is a new record for me (ADD girl---normally I blurt)

I would not be lying about health issues. I've missed a lot of work recently due to an ulcer AND a mysterious headache of unknown cause that no one can seem to cure.

Old 02-19-2017, 02:22 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Saying you were a "part time assistant" didn't make it clear you were talking about being a teacher, which is why it seemed odd to me that you'd get hired now for a job that didn't start until July.

But now that I realize it's a teaching job, isn't it fairly common to let a school know you aren't returning the next academic year, so that they can fill the position now, just like your new employer has filled that position for the next academic year? I am not saying you are obligated to let them know, but personally, I think it would be the best way to not burn any bridges, because you never know what may happen in life. I think that it's always best to leave a job on good terms.

And honestly, I know for me, and it sounds like for you, it would be stressful to try to keep it quiet for that long of a period. I think it will be easier when people know, although you don't have to share where you are going to if you prefer not to. I gave a former employer a few months notice one time, because I was moving out of state but in the meantime, needed to get my condo ready to list and on the market. They still didn't manage to fill my position before I left but it was no problem on either side that I kept working that whole time and it was also easier on manager as they knew not to assign me longer term projects and I could focus on wrapping up anything I was already working on.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:37 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:

It is unlikely I will be able to keep my new job a secret from now until June, when I could give 2-4 weeks notice. ...

I would not be lying about health issues. I've missed a lot of work recently due to an ulcer AND a mysterious headache of unknown cause that no one can seem to cure.
If you think you will spill the beans already, they you need to convince yourself that you WON'T spill the beans. It's 100% up to you. If you tell yourself that you won't spill the beans, they you can mentally convince yourself to stay silent until your 2-4 week notice. It's 100% doable but YOU must be the one that decides that it's doable. Then you have to stay strong and tell yourself that you can stay silent.

Use 'stay silent' as a code word that you silently tell yourself when you are biting your tongue. Don't tell anyone at your current job until it's time to give notice. This is for your best interest. It's very important for you to do this for yourself. Remember, repeat silently to yourself in your brain 'stay silent, stay silent' if you are in a conversation at work where you think you might blab. Then change the subject to something else. you CAN do it. now you have the technique.

About the health issues - that's good it's not a lie because you never want to lie(not good about the health issues - I hope they go away and are nothing major longterm). But still, do not use health issues for an excuse. It's bad to say anything about health issues to any company, especially if you are not yet employed there. So just don't use health as an excuse if you decide to remove yourself from consideration for employment at places where you already submitted your resume. You are much better off saying that you have accepted a position. They will note that in their file and they will likely want to hire you in the future (if you are looking again), because you will be more desirable as a future employee to them because someone else hired you(so you must be good, right?).

Last edited by sware2cod; 02-19-2017 at 06:51 PM..

Old 02-19-2017, 06:44 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Why wouldn't you be able to keep it secret?

Personally, when I was looking, I never considered a job in the bag until I was sitting with HR in orientation. It's too easy for employers to pull the rug out from under you - contract or not. I always kept interviewing.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:45 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Saying you were a "part time assistant" didn't make it clear you were talking about being a teacher, which is why it seemed odd to me that you'd get hired now for a job that didn't start until July.

But now that I realize it's a teaching job, isn't it fairly common to let a school know you aren't returning the next academic year, so that they can fill the position now, just like your new employer has filled that position for the next academic year? I am not saying you are obligated to let them know, but personally, I think it would be the best way to not burn any bridges, because you never know what may happen in life. I think that it's always best to leave a job on good terms.

And honestly, I know for me, and it sounds like for you, it would be stressful to try to keep it quiet for that long of a period. I think it will be easier when people know, although you don't have to share where you are going to if you prefer not to. I gave a former employer a few months notice one time, because I was moving out of state but in the meantime, needed to get my condo ready to list and on the market. They still didn't manage to fill my position before I left but it was no problem on either side that I kept working that whole time and it was also easier on manager as they knew not to assign me longer term projects and I could focus on wrapping up anything I was already working on.
I'm NOT currently working in a school. My current organization recruits, hires and places people at my level at least 3x per year. Sometimes 20 at a time. My vacancy can not, by policy, be posted let alone filled until I have vacated it.

I'm going to withdraw my applications with no reason given. Best all around. If my supervisor asks why, I'll tell her I changed my mind about the locations offered.

Old 02-21-2017, 06:15 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
I've been working as a part time assistant for almost 3 years. Part time was fine because I had some family issues that required a lot of my time. Just over a year ago I started applying for full time positions at my current level as well as promotions that I am highly qualified for. I've interviewed for 10-12 jobs. Sometimes you interview for 3 or 4 positions at once, sometimes it's just one. I've answered the same canned questions over and over. I even got interview feedback where they told me what to say and I took all their advice. I've been beat out for the promotions every time by nice, qualified, newly minted graduates. I'm middle aged, and have 6 years experience. I can't honestly say that ageism or pay discrimination aren't involved, but I don't want to be the person who makes that complaint.

I currently have my application in for 3 positions that would be promotions and 2 that would be full time at my current level. There are not a lot of positions in my area outside my organization (relocating is not an option at this time) but I recently applied to two and to my surprise was offered one of them yesterday. The contract does not start until the end of July. I do not plan to tell my current employer I am leaving until 2-3 weeks prior to my last day.

BUT how do I handle these applications? Do I tell HR I want to withdraw and not give a reason? I could tell them it is due to health issues, which I am currently having and would like to get under control before the new job starts. Do I go through the interview process (again!) and assume I'm not going to get hired (again)? Or do I proceed on the off chance that I get one of these jobs, enjoy the money and increased responsibility for 4 months and then say 'See ya later?'

Organizational Lore says that if I leave I will never be rehired, and that is okay. I have become a little disillusioned. I've repeatedly asked for more work, more responsibility, more challenge, and none have been forthcoming. The new job will be more challenging and has a better schedule, better pay, better opportunity for upward mobility.
There are a couple of ways to do this.

Continue to interview. A LOT can happen between now and July. You may get a promotion internally and decide you want to stay. At that point you can rescind your acceptance of the new job.

OR.... you may get another offer that comes sooner and is better.

Companies tend to move really slow. It took me almost 4 years of consistent efforts to be promoted in my current company. However it was worth it. Now I also have a verbal offer from my wife's company to come work for them for more money and less responsibility with opportunities to advance. I received this offer at the same time as my promotion, so I took the promotion. When the written letter comes through I am still turning in my notice and moving to the new company because overall the role there better aligns with my personal career goals. It's always good to have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment