Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:15 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
In the mid-'80s I turned down a job as a PR director for a hospital because I would have had to carry a beeper (I know, LOL!) and be on call on weekends. I ended up with a corporate PR position that didn't have the on-call requirement.

I know things have changed a lot, and nobody expects to leave the job behind for the weekend. We didn't appreciate how good we had it back then, when you could actually be "out of touch" for 48 hours or more!
You still do it depends thou on the job you take
certain jobs you can leave it at the office for the weekend
Others will take over your life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 01:49 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
I have been offered and declined positions with employers because I did not apply for those positions, the positions were beyond my scope of practice, the pay was the same, and the employer was desperate to make a quick hire.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:47 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Several times due to poor compensation, a couple were absolute insults ~$15 hour. I aborted several applications as well due to out of control HR people jerking me arround with their nonsense.

Old 02-16-2017, 05:56 AM

628 posts, read 838,102 times
i declined because i was boycotting the company

Old 02-16-2017, 07:03 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Several times: I didn't want the specific position they offered, the pay was too low, and the latest was because it was a split shift. There's nothing worse than having to dive a good distance and come into work twice a day.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:03 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
A couple times. One I didn't feel was a good fit for me, it was a high pressure sales environment. I'm in sales now, but it's not high pressure at all, I hate the feeling of badgering people for their business.

Another was due to lower pay... This was back when the economy tanked in 2008/2009, and the new job would have been paying me 20% less than I was currently making, doing the same thing.

Turned down one job when I was in high school... they wanted to make me the new store manager, after the last one got caught stealing. But I wasn't going to be able to give them the hours they wanted while in school, and I was going to college after that summer and wouldn't be sticking around.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:16 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I turned down a job with the Federal Government for an IT support position because the salary for that position was wayyyyyy below than me currently working at the district

I was not in no rush because I was already working for the state government plus I pretty much recieved the same time off and benefits.

So no reason to go back on pay

I decided to stay put where i am at instead but just want to ask

Have you ever got a job offer and denied it and why?
Various reasons....usually a commute that was worse than I thought it would be combined with not enough money, a crappy working environment, crappy benefits, etc. Same reasons anyone else turns down a job offer.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:26 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Multiple times.

I turned down two offers from two different companies to be a route supervisor for an oil delivery company and an event rental company. The hours were outside of what I was willing to work and the compensation would be less than what my current salary was, and no 401k.

I turned down a Production mgr position for a local company that makes dvds and cds. It was a night shift and the company had a huge turnover rate.

I turned down an offer to come back to my previous company as the Prod Mgr with a 10% increase over what I previously made and a $10k re-signing bonus. The job was extremely stressful and I chose not to go back into that again.

I'll be turning down an offer with my current company to remain in my current position in the next week or so when I get my official offer letter from my new company. A month ago I accepted a new position after being denied my counter offer request for more money. The new company offered me more than my counter to my current company and with better conditions so I took it. My current company will likely match it, but I will turn it down.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:37 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
One memorable one was a spot at a huge, well-known employer in the area. I'd interviewed with the recruiter, then the technical lead, then the guy who was in charge of the department I'd be working in. All was going well, until the last interview, with a higher-up... he was incredibly brusque, threw odfd acronyms at me and seemed miffed I didn't know what they were, etc. I left with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, and called someone I knew who had worked there. She warned me about this higher-up. I pretty much figured I didn't want the job then. Recruiter calls me and starts in, saying the higher-up complained I'd shown up wearing a dirty T-shirt. Then he said, "They've decided to offer you the job anyway." I said no way, Jose... he couldn't even remember who I was out of however many applicants he'd seen (I sure as heck had NOT shown up in a dirty T-shirt!), and with the warning I'd had, I was going to pass. The recruiter was livid and started screaming at me on the phone. I thanked him for reassuring me that I'd made the right decision and hung up on him.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:39 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,660,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I turned down a job with the Federal Government for an IT support position because the salary for that position was wayyyyyy below than me currently working at the district
I kind of feel bad whenever someone wants me to hop over to the government side. I really don't want to tell them how much of a pay cut I'd take, and that for me to even consider it they'd have to start me out at the top payband. Then there's all the extra paperwork and crap that goes along with it, all for really nothing but "job security" that I don't need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment