Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 07:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,297 times

Advertisements

I'm a millennial with a graduate degree who has worked in a specialized field for almost 10 years. I'm fortunate to be able to work part time. I've considered leaving my field for several reasons, one of which is boredom. After interviewing in other sectors, however, I've come to terms with staying put because the perks, mainly summers and breaks, are just too good to give up. I've been dreaming about starting a side hustle, or startup, as a way to be creative and break up my professional monotony. Has anyone been here, done that? Any words of advice? Input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 10:57 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,321,049 times
I've know plenty of people who work at their full time job to feed their family while working on the side to build their fortunes. Some people have become very wealthy and eventually left their full time job but the great majority of people were never able to expand and grow and it just became a side income, but that is better than nothing.

Those who became very wealthy...they put in a lot of work. A lot of commitment and discipline. Becoming self employed and start your own thing is no easy tasks especially those who lacks discipline, commitment, and knowledge. If you need someone to tell you want to do, when to do it.....You can forget about it.

Remember, once you go into self employment....You better know how to market and sell yourself. You don't get to clock in and have clients show up at your door begging to buy your services or products. It is up to YOU to find clients.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:46 PM

7,140 posts, read 9,224,569 times
I suggest you listen to this series of podcasts:

How I Built This : NPR

You will hear from the founders of Angies list, Lyft, Zumba, Virgin Airlines..

The common theme: A great idea, need to push ahead regardless of barriers, optimistic attitudes.

Doing a startup is a lot of work. Few succeed. But those who win big make huge amounts.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:22 PM

687 posts, read 613,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I suggest you listen to this series of podcasts:

How I Built This : NPR

You will hear from the founders of Angies list, Lyft, Zumba, Virgin Airlines..

The common theme: A great idea, need to push ahead regardless of barriers, optimistic attitudes.

Doing a startup is a lot of work. Few succeed. But those who win big make huge amounts.
I wonder how much "making it big" was a driving force. Some people have a fire where they always need to push the boundaries and make something work because they love it and don't know how to stop trying. It probably feels strange to actually get to a point where you're comfortable, and then keep pushing anyway.

I feel like I am this way, and I keep trying to work within the system even though it doesn't fit. I continue to do it to gain knowledge, formulating a plan to break out on my own eventually. I just need to stick with traditional employment so I have access to resources to learn with while still making money.

Access to capital would be nice.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:41 PM

115 posts, read 98,112 times
FigTrees, where are you located? I am in the same boat as you, and have been wanting to work in a start up for quite some time, maybe we can partner in on a venture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment