Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 12:36 PM

403 posts, read 363,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMarie1 View Post
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I am not experiencing burnout and I've been in the same position (albeit at different companies) for 7 years now. I'm 28, hit the 100k at 26.

I had been working and going to grad school both full time from 24-26 so just having the job now seems relatively slow-paced, even though it can be a lot of work and a lot of hours (it ebbs and flows).

I'm not necessarily chasing that higher paycheck or position title (since I am a manager and have been for 2 years) as of now, just trying to get some perspective on where I could possibly go from here since I hit my stride fairly quickly-quicker than maybe even I was anticipating-and some similar stories of similar experiences.
Good that you're not feeling burned out! I'd stay at my current company if there was a more defined career path but there isn't, and quite frankly I'm just bored :/
What field are you in btw, is it a relatively high paying field? And where are you located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 12:40 PM

38 posts, read 33,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Good that you're not feeling burned out! I'd stay at my current company if there was a more defined career path but there isn't, and quite frankly I'm just bored :/
What field are you in btw, is it a relatively high paying field? And where are you located?
I'm outside of D.C.

I'm a proposal manager for a government contractor(s). It can be a relatively high-paying field if you know how to market yourself and also have the experience/skillset to also do the business development and capture management aspects as well.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:04 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I am not experiencing burnout and I've been in the same position (albeit at different companies) for 7 years now. I'm 28, hit the 100k at 26.

I had been working and going to grad school both full time from 24-26, so just having the job now seems relatively slow-paced, even though it can be a lot of work and a lot of hours (it ebbs and flows).

I'm not necessarily chasing that higher paycheck or position title (since I am a manager and have been for 2 years) as of now, just trying to get some perspective on where I could possibly go from here since I hit my stride fairly quickly-quicker than maybe even I was anticipating-and some similar stories of similar experiences.
Why not try doing your job in a state with lower COL/lower pay like Mississippi or Idaho? Then you can take a huge pay cut and start working your way back up the salary ladder.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:14 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,727,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Why not try doing your job in a state with lower COL/lower pay like Mississippi or Idaho? Then you can take a huge pay cut and start working your way back up the salary ladder.
Because you can't do capture management with anyone in those places and expect to earn the $ OP is earning, or find work that is as interesting as OP is working on outside of DC. The good part is, there's tons of opportunity for high quality capture, at least from my short stint in government telecom for 5 years showed me.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
The position and skill-set I have is almost literally non-existent in low cost of living areas. I could pretty much only do the same type of work in major cities AKA Seattle, Los Angeles, New York, and possibly Chicago. Also because I am doing my role in the government sector it is advantageous for me to be in the DC area adjacent to a lot of government agencies as well as the Beltway Bandits.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:16 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Wanted some input as I reached my goal of 100k+ in my 20s and although I know it's early to be thinking about it, most people around me who are making 130k-200k have 20+ years experience and are therefore quite a bit older than me. They are also in VP/Exec type roles which will be difficult for me to qualify/compete for.

Any advice from others who have hit certain career milestones early and how they have advanced from there with the disadvantage of tenure/age etc.
Limit your spending so you can bank/invest all the extra earnings (instead of wasting it on frequent consumption activities). This will allow you to have a large bankroll to either independently consult or start your own firm. This is where you will make your most impact/reward. Also, be prepared to have your earnings/promotional growth flatten over the next couple of decades. It is fairly easy to get to that first management hurdle within an organization, it's much more difficult to advance past that unless your company is in growth mode or you are hand picked as a fast riser within your company (and they have programs for rapid advancement).

$100k can be alot of money, unfortunately not in your geography where housing costs are outrageous. Think about what happens when/if you want to start a family. Do both spouses work, if not, who stays home, for how long and what is the career impact of that decision? How much is daycare if you both work?

In terms of trying to advance - volunteer for lots of different projects in other departments (if you like working 12 hrs/day), ask to do the jobs that no one else wants, ask to work on your company's largest challenge, etc.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Limit your spending so you can bank/invest all the extra earnings (instead of wasting it on frequent consumption activities). This will allow you to have a large bankroll to either independently consult or start your own firm. This is where you will make your most impact/reward. Also, be prepared to have your earnings/promotional growth flatten over the next couple of decades. It is fairly easy to get to that first management hurdle within an organization, it's much more difficult to advance past that unless your company is in growth mode or you are hand picked as a fast riser within your company (and they have programs for rapid advancement).

$100k can be alot of money, unfortunately not in your geography where housing costs are outrageous. Think about what happens when/if you want to start a family. Do both spouses work, if not, who stays home, for how long and what is the career impact of that decision? How much is daycare if you both work?

In terms of trying to advance - volunteer for lots of different projects in other departments (if you like working 12 hrs/day), ask to do the jobs that no one else wants, ask to work on your company's largest challenge, etc.
Starting a family is not in the plan for me. I do max out my 401k contribution and have since I was 22. I do have a plan in place for retirement hopefully earlier than later. I do agree that 100K does not feel like much in my area though. I would say it's not the norm but not that unusual to find people my age in this area making that or more.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:29 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
I am sort of in similar position as OP but I am 31 & hit my 100K+ at 28. To be honest, I grew up in a family where total house hold income was 30K with both parents working. So growing up my goal was $50K, to be middle class, that seemed like stretch goal then. When I pass that amount a year out of college, I was happy. I met my life salary milestone. I focused on keeping my job by learning all I can & just doing what I needed to do. slowly after 3 promotion, my salary became double. I will be celebrating my 10 year with this company. Sometimes I compare to other people who are hustling, switching jobs, moving up but I quickly remind myself that I am far from the goal I set for myself. I have no intention for promotion or moving up or making more at this point & I never want to lose myself to the rat race.

It will be nice to have more money or influence or title. Maybe it is the Midwestern mentality I have of staying put and being happy with what we get. I feel like a loser at time for settling so early. In last 2 years I have spent lot of times wondering about my life & career. I decided for now to focus on my current job, become so efficient that I can do the job in less time. I have also started learning about investing (real estate and stock), I am focusing on my spiritual aspect of life & spending lot of energy in trying to lose weight. Goal is not to be the top dog in corporation but to be financially independent by 40. However that feeling of ambition, feeling of something bigger waiting around the corner is not there with me. It does make me sad at time.

Old 02-22-2017, 01:37 PM

306 posts, read 364,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Also, be prepared to have your earnings/promotional growth flatten over the next couple of decades.
This. Even job hopping, you'll eventually hit a salary ceiling. There just aren't that many jobs out there paying above $X for whatever industry you're in.

Old 02-22-2017, 02:32 PM

425 posts, read 646,911 times
Your salary goal is short-sighted. I would focus on getting in a company with huge equity upside than chase a higher base. I can tell you right now that the people I know who really jumped up financially didn't do it by making a higher salary earlier in life, they did it working for the right boss and the right company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment