Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 06:49 PM

292 posts, read 699,524 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

As a nurse with very little clinical experience (and unable to relocate beecause my family helps me out with childcare), it has been an ongoing struggle landing a nursing gig in general within NYC. I am currently working in an admin capacity and I do not deal or interact with clients. Even the job itself is dead end and I took it because it's in a healthcare facility but I feel that I am farther away from nursing now than ever.

I have given up hope trying to get a nursing job in the hospital (because the hospitals are always asking for at least two years experience which I don't have) and would like to focus my energy to get my foot in the door in an insurance company as a RN case manager. Do I have a chance getting into a insurance company? Or should I just really give up nursing altogether? Just feeling frustrated.

And I tried posting on allnurses.com(I'm an active member on the site, btw) and received no responses for a few weeks. I figured maybe a few folks can give me advice on this forum. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 09:24 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,179,718 times
Lots of law firms hire UR nurses to write appeals. Perhaps start there? That would give you some experience.

Are you applying to the nurse jobs? The ones I know are constantly switching jobs around the payers. The turnover for UR nurses (at the payer) are high and onsite reviewers as well are constantly locating out.

I actually work with a team of nurses and we see the same ones for years going job to job, hospital to payer and so on.

Even consider applying at an outsource company that does nurse audit - although that would bore me to death.

Are you a recent grad? Is that why you cant find a nursing job? If so, I'm sad to hear it. I've always worked for teaching hospitals so going from school to that hospital attached was easy and a natural transition.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:27 PM

811 posts, read 732,602 times
I work for a major health insurer, I believe our nurses are required to have a minimum of 5 years clinical experience. Could vary by company if course, just to give you an idea.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:09 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,169,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyalltheway View Post
Hi everyone,

As a nurse with very little clinical experience (and unable to relocate beecause my family helps me out with childcare), it has been an ongoing struggle landing a nursing gig in general within NYC. I am currently working in an admin capacity and I do not deal or interact with clients. Even the job itself is dead end and I took it because it's in a healthcare facility but I feel that I am farther away from nursing now than ever.

I have given up hope trying to get a nursing job in the hospital (because the hospitals are always asking for at least two years experience which I don't have) and would like to focus my energy to get my foot in the door in an insurance company as a RN case manager. Do I have a chance getting into a insurance company? Or should I just really give up nursing altogether? Just feeling frustrated.

And I tried posting on allnurses.com(I'm an active member on the site, btw) and received no responses for a few weeks. I figured maybe a few folks can give me advice on this forum. Thanks.
You need to get that clinical experience. A RN without that experience is really going to limit your choices when it comes to working the better jobs in the profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment