Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 10:46 AM

23,514 posts, read 23,986,796 times

Advertisements

I would ask to make sure, but usually if they are company provided, you can have a serving the first day. In fact, most companies would want you to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 01:54 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Whenever I've started a new job the person showing me around takes me to the break room and explains the deal. If there's community food or someone brought donuts didn't anyone say "Joe brought donuts today, help yourself"? I would just ask whoever you dealt with on the first day or someone you've warmed up to already.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c114 View Post
Just wondering when is it appropriate to grab snacks and coffee from the kitchen at a new job? 1week? Or am I over thinking it?
Overthinking! Definitely on the first day it is fine. Maybe wait a little if there is a beer fridge until there is an invitation or someone brings you one. Or if it has been a week or 2, you don't want to be seen as the boozer in the first few days.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:17 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Are these snacks/coffee provided by your employer or are they one brought in by others to share?

If you're unsure about the snacks, ask someone. Some places have a snack/coffee 'pool' where everyone puts in a few bucks to fund it. No one will think you're odd for asking...in fact, they might be surprised because most people assume if it's in the lounge, then it's free game and will take well beyond their share and not contribute to the fund.

My office provides snacks and there are communal ones in the kitchen. I have typically had, during the office tour, someone in operations spell out the snack rules.

In a few jobs they have offered snacks in the interview process (awkward!)

Old 03-02-2017, 03:27 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
Would someone be petty enough to notice and mention that a new person is getting a snack or coffee from the kitchen? If so, use it as a learning experience to avoid such a person.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:55 PM

88 posts, read 89,619 times
Lol, why is this even a question. I grabbed snacks the first day.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:05 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
Our firm has a Friday donut club - With the number of people involved it ends up that you will probably bring donuts one Friday out of the year. On a new hire's first day they are asked if they would like to join. Any snacks on the kitchen counter are free to everyone and our receptionist usually sends an e-mail. Coffee, tea and soft drinks have always been free here.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Can you ask your trainer? We have a coffee fund, and people who don't pay aren't supposed to drink.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:34 PM

212 posts, read 195,119 times
OP, I think I know what you are asking here because I've had the same quandary when I've started a new position. It's not about whether or not you can, but if the subtle nuances of the company culture allow the familiarity so soon. It is more about, "If anyone sees me taking snacks too quickly, am I perceived as overly-familiar and is it presumptuous of me? If I take these items before I've invested sufficient time in becoming part of the TEAM, am I overstepping the mark? Have invested enough time into getting to know these people and this environment for me to be casual about eating their food?" All of these thoughts have run through my head at one time or another. Silly, yes, but I get it! I was raised to be extraordinarily polite, almost to a fault.

Typically, I've waited about 3-4 weeks before I've ventured to eat communal snacks and drinks and only after someone has offered it to me. After about 2-3 months, if I've eaten something that was communal, I've reciprocated by bringing in something of my own.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:45 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
I have brought in snacks myself within the first weeks after seeing snacks and baked goods out. It was about saying, "Hi, I'm here and I care about you all." It was a foster care agency.

Last edited by ashbeeigh; 03-02-2017 at 06:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment