Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 02:17 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,003,177 times

Advertisements

What is your take on a coworker in customer service that refuses to take calls? She also will not return calls when they leave messages.

I have forwarded emails I have received from irate customers to the gm but it does not seem like he cares.

I know not my circus, not my monkeys but I have a feeling it is one of the main reasons we have a lack of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 02:40 PM

34,834 posts, read 30,905,811 times
In most call centers, that would be grounds for immediate firing.

Old 03-02-2017, 02:48 PM

607 posts, read 971,766 times
Huh? How can you not return calls in that job? Does the employee know what s/he has to do?

Old 03-02-2017, 02:56 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,748,412 times
Those who cannot handle confrontation should not be in Customer Service. I'm not sure what your role is, but, You seem to be quite aware of what this employee is doing and not doing. If this is truly a chronic condition, her unwillingness to deal with unhappy customers reflects poorly on your company -- and will eventually impact you, since this appears to be a very small company.

Tell her you are receiving emails from irate customers and express your concerns. Ask her what is going on and why she is staying in customer service if she cannot or will not do the job. If that does not bring change, tell her you have no choice, but to speak to her boss.

If her boss is the GM - to whom you have already sent emails ... the company may have greater problems than you realize - and it may be time to protect yourself.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:06 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,408,560 times
She will not take calls and you forward irate customers to your boss (a he). So is your co-worker ignoring these calls thus causing irate calls that you forward to your boss? Just trying to understand this all. I'm a bit confused. Is her job to take calls? Or is it a part of her job at least? Or is it something that doesn't happen that often?

Old 03-02-2017, 03:51 PM

20,685 posts, read 19,813,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
What is your take on a coworker in customer service that refuses to take calls? She also will not return calls when they leave messages.

I have forwarded emails I have received from irate customers to the gm but it does not seem like he cares.

I know not my circus, not my monkeys but I have a feeling it is one of the main reasons we have a lack of work.
I would keep doing this, if the GM is your immediate supervisor.

Old 03-02-2017, 03:58 PM

1,104 posts, read 913,803 times
In a normal customer service environment, that would be instantly picked up on and would not be tolerated. I don't understand exactly how they are getting away with this unless they have more power and support which you don't know about.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:09 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,579,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

That is about par for the course in my office. We have some units that don't feel like doing their jobs, so customers do what I call Desperate Dialing to see if they can get a person to pick up, and usually it is someone in a different unit that is absolutely clueless about the issue at hand. I work in government though... The only hope is that maybe one day a person will get fired or reassigned after about 2-3 years or even 10 years of complaints.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Those who cannot handle confrontation should not be in Customer Service. I'm not sure what your role is, but, You seem to be quite aware of what this employee is doing and not doing. If this is truly a chronic condition, her unwillingness to deal with unhappy customers reflects poorly on your company -- and will eventually impact you, since this appears to be a very small company.

Tell her you are receiving emails from irate customers and express your concerns. Ask her what is going on and why she is staying in customer service if she cannot or will not do the job. If that does not bring change, tell her you have no choice, but to speak to her boss.

If her boss is the GM - to whom you have already sent emails ... the company may have greater problems than you realize - and it may be time to protect yourself.
She has a social issue of some sort. She cannot talk to people and is extremely introverted. She hides in her cube all day. She will answer emails but phone calls are a whole other story. Some customers want the actual talk and not written communication.

She is the sales department and direct contact for scheduling customer projects.

I answer all incoming calls and transfer to correct people. I know she does not answer because they call right back and tell me she does not answer. One man called today and said he has left messages for the last seven days and she has yet to call him back.

It is a small part of a very large company. I send the irate emails to him to answer but it is her job to do it. I just have to laugh because that was the position I held in my last job but they put her there because they thought I would be better as the receptionist/ purchasing and accounting clerk.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
In a normal customer service environment, that would be instantly picked up on and would not be tolerated. I don't understand exactly how they are getting away with this unless they have more power and support which you don't know about.
Nothing shocks me anymore.

I always say some get all the credit for doing nothing, while the rest of get no credit for doing everything. She is a favorite. Favorites can do whatever they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment