Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 11:51 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,969,062 times

Advertisements

Live with her for 3 months, then when you are making real money tell her that you will pay her utilities for the next year.

Once you get into the union and develop some skills and save some cash you can move out of area.

You may even like your area once you have money to vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 11:53 AM

5,016 posts, read 7,396,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Live with her for 3 months, then when you are making real money tell her that you will pay her utilities for the next year.

Once you get into the union and develop some skills and save some cash you can move out of area.

You may even like your area once you have money to vacation.

Bravo!!!

Old 03-06-2017, 12:08 PM

69 posts, read 39,088 times
I just got off of the phone with the apprenticeship rep and he answered a lot of my questions. He created even more questions in my mind.

He was a little worried when i told him my height is under 5'5'' and explained that government mandates that the highest course they can lay is 56'' which is basically up to my eyes. He asked if i think i can lift 50 pounds over my head haha.

Made it seem like the 3mo schooling its utilized to weed out individuals that don't have what it takes and was upfront that they keep the 350 dollar fee.

Also told me straight up that bricklayers experience good periods and bad periods. Said that if i keep up ill have work during the good periods.

Told me before the recession the man hours were over 1 million a year, but during the recession the man hours dropped to less than 700k a year for 5-6 years and that right now they're at around 890K (i assume for the last 12mos) I don't really know what to think.

Idk.

Last edited by JohnnyIsReady; 03-06-2017 at 12:26 PM..

Old 03-06-2017, 12:19 PM

128,048 posts, read 11,818,787 times
a Union job is a good way to go, you can make good money & have great benefits, when you are not working, you can take unemployment. I say go for it, you will see how you liek it, once you start the course. Many people in Union jobs, are set for life.
Once you ge established & making decent wages, you can look for your own apartment. Long haul driving must get so boring. Freeways all look the same. And there is alot of government regulations.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:20 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,416,413 times
Pass up this opportunity. I can tell by your posts that this is not something you want to do.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:22 PM

I know that going with either path has inherent risk of failure, and that one path stands out as more exciting to me.

I wouldn't mind clearing 45-50K a year listening to audio books and documentaries as i see the entire country, talk to women without worrying about my reputation in the area, living out of my truck bunker with no rent overhead, no car taxes, etc... Truck driving also gives me an opportunity to save and invest onto myself, if i live life frugally for the next 5-6 years. Most long haul companies are no touch freight, but i would love a little exercise.

Unfortunately I'm just not sure i can pass this CDL test anytime soon. There are so many hurdles to jump. It isnt book learning, it's all about taking the wheel and figuring it out and memorizing what you did wrong when something wrong happens, and what you did right when everything goes smoothly.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:02 PM

10,337 posts, read 5,825,084 times
What does this have to do with not having a father?

You're 26 years old, it doesn't matter how tall you are, there shouldn't be any reason for you to be afraid of a physically demanding job for many years to come.

You come across as someone lacking confidence in your ability to know yourself and make decisions. Maybe this due to the alcohol / drug addiction you've suffered. Your description of opportunities to meet women and not have a reputation to worry about, such a solitary life with no anchors and just the thoughts in your head to keep you company ...sound like the perfect recipe for a relapse.

Take the union opportunity! You may be sick of the area you live in now, but the area may look completely different to a stable guy with a good job, once he develops some confidence in himself.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:14 PM

5,016 posts, read 7,396,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyIsReady View Post
I know that going with either path has inherent risk of failure, and that one path stands out as more exciting to me.

I wouldn't mind clearing 45-50K a year listening to audio books and documentaries as i see the entire country, talk to women without worrying about my reputation in the area, living out of my truck bunker with no rent overhead, no car taxes, etc... Truck driving also gives me an opportunity to save and invest onto myself, if i live life frugally for the next 5-6 years. Most long haul companies are no touch freight, but i would love a little exercise.

Unfortunately I'm just not sure i can pass this CDL test anytime soon. There are so many hurdles to jump. It isnt book learning, it's all about taking the wheel and figuring it out and memorizing what you did wrong when something wrong happens, and what you did right when everything goes smoothly.

What you have to take into consideration with the truck driver job is that it is dead end.

After you do it for a few years as you say.. and I promise I don't mean this in a rude way...
What job would you then be qualified for?
What's another career you could go with then?
Nothing.

Don't put yourself in a dead end job.

Old 03-06-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
What you have to take into consideration with the truck driver job is that it is dead end.

After you do it for a few years as you say.. and I promise I don't mean this in a rude way...
What job would you then be qualified for?
What's another career you could go with then?
Nothing.

Don't put yourself in a dead end job.
I went to school with children of parents whom own two successful excavation companies here in my state. They might consider hiring me once I've got my CDL considering we grew up together. If i can swing that, i may be able to become a heavy equipment operating engineer.

I am just not all that excited about construction estimation or management. I'd be more excited about training new brickies, but I've never been excited about climbing hierarchical ladders or any of that. If i go with the brick layers union I'd have to think about starting my own small business, i suppose. Which is something I've always been interested in.

Which is another reason why truck driving speaks to me. In 6 years time i can invest in my own truck and become an owner/operator, with a gross income of over 150K a year. That would be neat!

Last edited by JohnnyIsReady; 03-06-2017 at 03:30 PM..

Old 03-06-2017, 02:49 PM

8,073 posts, read 10,000,449 times
History of drug abuse....are you going to be able to get a job driving a truck?

Brick laying is not going anywhere. Good job. Take it and be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment