Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 04:55 AM

69 posts, read 39,411 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

First of all, i am here to beg of some assistance. I need advice. I'm turning 26 next month. Live in NY!

I am very grateful to say that i am living Sober from drugs and alcohol for the last 13 months of my life. (i thought i was trapped)

current work
I'm currently working as a machine operator part time for 12 dollars an hour. clearing $220 a week, living with my elderly mother. It's been a year of awakening!

CDL-A School
I am in school for my CDL-A, but right now it's going nowhere. The DMV has taken a full month to let me know if i can drive with my eye issues.

Union membership offer
I was just offered a membership into the bricklayers union. But there's a catch. I would have to attend full time classes for 3 months. (unpaid) After that, I'd be an apprentice making $20 an hour to start. They also say I'll make a $1 raise every 5 months until i hit $30 an hour. Plus health, pension, and annuity... I have none of that right now!

It's back breaking labor, and i am a small Italian kid at just 5'4'' but i am familiar with labor and i know I'll adjust, and i look forward to the health! But is bricklaying a dying trade, or is it alive and well? Is 3 months free training worth losing my current job for union labor?

Alternatively, i can TRY to get a nighttime dock work position while going to school for CDL. I'm going to continue training for my commercial drivers license, either way, but this seems like a big opportunity to contemplate. A union offer is rare, isn't it?

And the starting pay is more than I've ever made haha. But is it worth the 3 months out of work, the diversion from commercial driving career path, the hard labor? I would like to support a family one day! Please help?

They want an answer this morning!

Last edited by JohnnyIsReady; 03-06-2017 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: Didn't ask politely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 05:08 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Upon completion of training, are you guaranteed permanent full time work? How much is union dues? Congratulations on getting (and staying) clean and sober.

Old 03-06-2017, 05:10 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times
Is it something you can see yourself doing 10-15 or 20 years from now? You seem VERY leery, that's a telling sign...

Old 03-06-2017, 05:15 AM

I am not sure, but the man i spoke with made it sound like i would certainly work full time, with unemployment benefits between jobs.

Union dues shouldn't be more than 20 or 30 a month.

Last edited by JohnnyIsReady; 03-06-2017 at 05:26 AM..

Old 03-06-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Is it something you can see yourself doing 10-15 or 20 years from now? You seem VERY leery, that's a telling sign...
It's hard to be anything but grateful in my situation. I've got friends my age making 10.25 an hour without benefits. It scares me how difficult it is to ask for a raise. I've never been offered health benefits in all my years.

Its hard labor, and I'm a bright guy, but this opportunity doesn't come up often. My work history is better than most of my friends, but it's all paid-daily temp labor! Yes I'm leery of the idea of laying brick for the next 40 years but i need to start saving immediately!! I need to start living, too. I haven't lived in years.

I don't want to seem rude. I just feel very pressured to get what's in my head out so i can gain some perspective.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:29 AM

Is there anything else i should be considering? If i can get a job at 15 dollars an hour nights, i could also keep my part time morning job and take the CDL course on weekends. But union benefits are so rare, it seems...

I have been struggling with this decision for days.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:32 AM

776 posts, read 955,929 times
Do the union apprenticeship get your card, get a couple of years of actual working experience under your belt......then start looking at a trade that is more likely to be in fashion in the next decade.

What is that ? Land surveying..... . glass window installation and doors, electrical installing, plumbing , and carpentry. Not going to go out of fashion anytime soon. Less brute lifting and more thinking.

Look at the new technology that is coming into the construction business. Modern use of spray foam insulation, radiant floor heating, tank less water heaters, steel framing of houses, and fiber strand concrete.

Maple Guy

Old 03-06-2017, 06:39 AM

944 posts, read 1,210,505 times
don't be scared off by any rhetoric, there is still power in a union.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:51 AM

I mean, considering that i live in New England, brick laying isn't going anywhere anytime soon i don't think? Or building style was and still is brick based. Restoration is also going to be around into the future.

I should consider myself lucky to have this opportunity, no? A chance at 60k a year with only a 3 month schooling investment doesn't come often.

Old 03-06-2017, 07:01 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Look into this:
Journeyman Description

There is a major shortage of Journeyman Lineman (I'm a recruiter for them in Florida -there's a shortage nationwide that won't go away anytime soon - and when I say that I mean years.)

While the pay is "only" $40.56/hr - most jobs are union with great benefits and because of the shortage and overtime available... guys are making about $200K/year.

You'd need to attend a lineman school and complete an apprenticeship... but you sound like the perfect candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment