Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 12:06 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
You must be at the top of the pay scale. Why so afraid to say what you make?

Remember, its a two way street. Whats wrong with hiring for the best price? Sounds like a lot of people think its fine for the candidate to play games and lie. But expect the employer to give out all the salary information up front.

Most here would not get past the initial phone screen at my old company.
I make over six figures, but I'm not going to let a recruiter submit me at (for example) $130k when the employer is willing to go up to $150k for someone with my experience and expertise. Screw that!

Not giving a recruiter my current salary isn't lying. They ask, and I say "I don't feel comfortable sharing that. What is the range the client is offering for this position?" They don't refuse to tell me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Because you just set a cap on what they'll want to offer.

Let's say you need to hire someone, and can spend up to $75K You ask a candidate what they make now, and they say $50K Are you going to go ahead and offer them the $75K? No! You'll offer them $55 or so. If they buck, maybe a little more, but now you're thinking, "This is a $50K guy. He should be thrilled at my offer! Where does he get the nerve to ask for $70K? That's a 40% bump! I don't need a headache like that!"

Whereas if doesn't tell you what he was making, and maybe says "I'm looking in the $70K or so area", and you look at his resume and say, yeah, OK, I'll offer $72K.

There is simply no value for me in telling someone else what I earn now. None. Granted, that information would be of tremendous value to them, but I'm negotiating for me! Let them negotiate and work for them. Want me to be working on your behalf? Pay me.

If the phone screen includes a demand for my current compensation, or any talk about compensation before we've actually met and I've evaluated whether or not I want to work for you, I'd consider that a bullet dodged. I'll go ahead and say they have no idea what a phone screen is based on my understanding of what you said.
^^^ THIS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 01:24 PM

795 posts, read 1,009,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Because you just set a cap on what they'll want to offer.

Let's say you need to hire someone, and can spend up to $75K You ask a candidate what they make now, and they say $50K Are you going to go ahead and offer them the $75K? No! You'll offer them $55 or so. If they buck, maybe a little more, but now you're thinking, "This is a $50K guy. He should be thrilled at my offer! Where does he get the nerve to ask for $70K? That's a 40% bump! I don't need a headache like that!"

Whereas if doesn't tell you what he was making, and maybe says "I'm looking in the $70K or so area", and you look at his resume and say, yeah, OK, I'll offer $72K.

There is simply no value for me in telling someone else what I earn now. None. Granted, that information would be of tremendous value to them, but I'm negotiating for me! Let them negotiate and work for them. Want me to be working on your behalf? Pay me.

If the phone screen includes a demand for my current compensation, or any talk about compensation before we've actually met and I've evaluated whether or not I want to work for you, I'd consider that a bullet dodged. I'll go ahead and say they have no idea what a phone screen is based on my understanding of what you said.
Sorry but your example and statement make no sense at all. Not even going to reply to that.
I was in the Washington DC market. Arguably the best job market in the nation. My company had three very skilled (in house) corporate recruiters that knew what they were doing. I addition to associates, we hired a range of high quality and well compensated IT folks and consultants to support various government agencies.

Perhaps you are in a lower level industry.

In addition, please read my previous post #20 carefully.

Old 03-13-2017, 03:51 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
Sorry but your example and statement make no sense at all. Not even going to reply to that.
I was in the Washington DC market. Arguably the best job market in the nation. My company had three very skilled (in house) corporate recruiters that knew what they were doing. I addition to associates, we hired a range of high quality and well compensated IT folks and consultants to support various government agencies.

Perhaps you are in a lower level industry.

In addition, please read my previous post #20 carefully.
Whatever. You're entitled to your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment