Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:55 AM

1,003 posts, read 1,611,162 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been on a temp assignment for 6 months now. Originally it was supposed to be three months, but they've indefinitely extended it. My boss just got her notice of termination - they're eliminating her position and she's leaving in early February. Since I've started working here, I've seen unbelievable turn-over. I've also been applying to get out since my first week. My job description might be changing, I just don't know....I'm riding through as I continue to apply...

My question for you fine people is, since I am a contract/temp worker do the same rules apply for giving a two week notice in this situation? I would say no. My training consisted of three days, a handwritten notebook and lots of family picture viewing from the former employees Facebook page.

Interested to hear your thoughts. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 11:05 AM

420 posts, read 768,055 times
If you want to maintain a professional relationship and possibly secure a reference, give two weeks notice and apologize for leaving. They probably wont have you work those weeks anyways. If you don't care about the field, company or reference then there is no need to give notice, just stop going.

I've done it both ways. One job I gave a letter of resignation and they let me work a few more days. For one restaurant job ages ago I just called and told the manager that I wouldn't be coming in anymore.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't give the two weeks if you're not changing fields dramatically. If you apply for other jobs they will want the good word from your last employment...

Old 01-14-2014, 11:09 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Hi all,

I've been on a temp assignment for 6 months now. Originally it was supposed to be three months, but they've indefinitely extended it. My boss just got her notice of termination - they're eliminating her position and she's leaving in early February. Since I've started working here, I've seen unbelievable turn-over. I've also been applying to get out since my first week. My job description might be changing, I just don't know....I'm riding through as I continue to apply...

My question for you fine people is, since I am a contract/temp worker do the same rules apply for giving a two week notice in this situation? I would say no. My training consisted of three days, a handwritten notebook and lots of family picture viewing from the former employees Facebook page.

Interested to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Contact your recruiter and let them handle it. They will put together a transistion plan so you can leave. Don't *********rself out of ever working for that temp agency again.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
If you want to maintain a professional relationship and possibly secure a reference, give two weeks notice and apologize for leaving. They probably wont have you work those weeks anyways. If you don't care about the field, company or reference then there is no need to give notice, just stop going.

I've done it both ways. One job I gave a letter of resignation and they let me work a few more days. For one restaurant job ages ago I just called and told the manager that I wouldn't be coming in anymore.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't give the two weeks if you're not changing fields dramatically. If you apply for other jobs they will want the good word from your last employment...

Thank you for your comment. Actually, I never want to work in this industry again and have a reference that'll say whatever I please, so I'm not worried about burning bridges. I'm not sure what I'll do or what opportunities will present themselves. I do appreciate the perspective. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Contact your recruiter and let them handle it. They will put together a transistion plan so you can leave. Don't *********rself out of ever working for that temp agency again.
I have. They claimed they couldn't find anything for me during the holidays. But I may just ride through this s*** storm to see what happens.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:17 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
My last permatemp job wanted 30 days notice which was ridiculous, I gave standard 2 weeks and they were lucky I gave that.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
My last permatemp job wanted 30 days notice which was ridiculous, I gave standard 2 weeks and they were lucky I gave that.
30 days is ridiculous...good for you!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:57 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

Whose NEW employer is going to wait around 30 days for you to finally show up? The job must not be that important if it can go unfilled that long.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
You need to keep in mind if you give the temp agency two weeks they're going to replace you ASAP.

You tell them on say Monday morning and they tell you don't bother going in on Tuesday.

So if you can afford to be let go and don't need the two weeks pay, than you can give notice.

Remember the temp agency is only concerned about placing someone in the position. Once you tell them you're leaving, they're on the phone replacing you.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:13 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza2011 View Post
Thank you for your comment. Actually, I never want to work in this industry again and have a reference that'll say whatever I please, so I'm not worried about burning bridges. I'm not sure what I'll do or what opportunities will present themselves. I do appreciate the perspective. Thank you.

I have. They claimed they couldn't find anything for me during the holidays. But I may just ride through this s*** storm to see what happens.
So you are quitting without having anything else lined up? Is unemployment really better than a chaotic job?

Old 01-14-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So you are quitting without having anything else lined up? Is unemployment really better than a chaotic job?
Hell no! I'm applying but keeping this position until something better comes along. Things have mellowed out since I first started. Although almost everyone I started with has either been fired or left the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment