Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 02:04 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
You could quit. Quitting a job like that is not being a coward. It is actually the right thing to do because the company will have to suffer with the consequences of the decisions they made. Being a coward is staying there with a company who does this because you are afraid that you may not find another job. THAT is when a bad company wins and gains control over you. Don't forget, employment is a MUTUAL agreement. Either party can end the agreement at any time if necessary.

If it were truly that bad the company will not keep employees and will bully its way out of the market and fail. But if you go to another job and suddenly you're being bullied yet again you need to redefine your definition of bullying.
Make sure you know where to get food stamps, section 8 vouchers and the like in case what you think will be 1 month of unemployment turns into 14 or more. There are too many people taking WAY to long to find new jobs all across the country.

THAT is the issue, its like you dont get it, are you just getting the internet after living in a cabin becasue it has not been that easy to get a GOOD job (which why leave a bad job to go to another bad job) since the early 90s.

Yes if 99% of people were going out applying for 10-15 GOOD jobs and getting hired after a month or less I would be totally onboard with your statement but its not reality. People these days who quit jobs without one lined up are taking a BIG risk because GOOD jobs are far and few between.

It took me a YEAR to get my first engineering job after getting a top tier engineering degree, I hit it right at 2004 when everything was really taking a crap and it never really got better. How many people can afford to take a year off to look for work? Maybe if you have paid for 6 plex you can rent out otherwise your pretty screwed, move back home or with relatives is about the only move at that point.

I am guessing you have a couple of rental properties, index funds, side buisness etc. Those are all things people should be working towards but alot of people are not there yet where they can cash flow enough so that they can afford to be unemployed for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 07:56 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
I could not quit, I needed the money and I could not ignore the taunts because it destroyed me.

Yelling, screaming, threats, lies, gossip, and ridicule. It was a living hell.
Well there you go. You wanted to do nothing about it so you really didn't.

To me this seems like a control issue where you wanted to control those around you.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:19 PM

72 posts, read 73,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Well there you go. You wanted to do nothing about it so you really didn't.

To me this seems like a control issue where you wanted to control those around you.
Yes, I wanted them to stop yelling and screaming at me when they decided to play the bully!

Old 03-13-2017, 04:49 PM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
Yes, I wanted them to stop yelling and screaming at me when they decided to play the bully!
Why were they yelling and screaming at you? Did you try to change whatever you were doing so they would stop?

After reading this post by you I am highly skeptical:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/47438206-post3.html

Old 03-18-2017, 02:34 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Some of the posts in this thread are cruel. I feel for the op & I understand where he is coming from. Co worker bully's can be quite hurtful & mean. Years ago I was harassed big time at work & it was awful. I did quit & did not regret it one bit. I still hate the people who harassed me (1 died years ago).

Old 03-18-2017, 08:05 PM

27 posts, read 18,638 times
Default Ignorance

I was bullied at my last job, and it changed my life. And I don't mean for the better.

If the OP is still lurking on this board, I want to tell you something: IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT. I'm on your side, and I believe you. I know you tried to do the right thing, and it was never enough.

When you are bullied at work, it is called mobbing. It is not like when you were the smallest kid at school and you got beat up on the playground for your lunch money. The game is different in the workplace.

I would be willing to bet that none of the people who gave "advice" to the OP were ever bullied in school or at work.

What if you knew someone whose spouse was beating them daily? Would you tell them to stand up for themselves and "fight back," or even worse, "just leave?" Those are horribly short-sighted options. Do you tell someone who is suffering from chronic depression to "just cheer up?" God, I hope not. To blame someone for being mistreated at work, is like telling a rape victim they asked for it because they wore a short skirt.

Think about it. Guess what happens when you tell a violent spouse to quit beating you up? You get your ass kicked even harder. If you try to fight back against the injustice at work, it just makes you look worse.
If you were forced to choose between being treated like crap but having a roof over your head, or being treated like royalty but being homeless, which would you pick?
It's not that easy to just "find another job" like many here joyfully and ignorantly claim. If your self-esteem is in the toilet, how likely are you to nail that next interview when you don't feel confident? If you can't even sell yourself, why should they hire you?

I guarantee you, the OP did not go to HR the first time they were bullied. That is a step of last resort.

Researchers say the effects of bullying are similar to post traumatic stress disorder.
So, stop acting like you know what it feels like to be bullied when YOU DON’T.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:58 PM

283 posts, read 198,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by its_rosie View Post
I was bullied at my last job, and it changed my life. And I don't mean for the better.

If the OP is still lurking on this board, I want to tell you something: IT WAS NOT YOUR FAULT. I'm on your side, and I believe you. I know you tried to do the right thing, and it was never enough.

When you are bullied at work, it is called mobbing. It is not like when you were the smallest kid at school and you got beat up on the playground for your lunch money. The game is different in the workplace.

I would be willing to bet that none of the people who gave "advice" to the OP were ever bullied in school or at work.

What if you knew someone whose spouse was beating them daily? Would you tell them to stand up for themselves and "fight back," or even worse, "just leave?" Those are horribly short-sighted options. Do you tell someone who is suffering from chronic depression to "just cheer up?" God, I hope not. To blame someone for being mistreated at work, is like telling a rape victim they asked for it because they wore a short skirt.

Think about it. Guess what happens when you tell a violent spouse to quit beating you up? You get your ass kicked even harder. If you try to fight back against the injustice at work, it just makes you look worse.
If you were forced to choose between being treated like crap but having a roof over your head, or being treated like royalty but being homeless, which would you pick?
It's not that easy to just "find another job" like many here joyfully and ignorantly claim. If your self-esteem is in the toilet, how likely are you to nail that next interview when you don't feel confident? If you can't even sell yourself, why should they hire you?

I guarantee you, the OP did not go to HR the first time they were bullied. That is a step of last resort.

Researchers say the effects of bullying are similar to post traumatic stress disorder.
Finally someone talks sense. Sorry op, you received so many harsh posts from ignorant people.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,069,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by its_rosie View Post

I was bullied as a kid and it made me stronger. I learned how to get through tough situations.

You're not powerless as a person who is bullied. There are proven steps that can be taken to stop being harassed. It is up to YOU to take those steps, and to make your life a better place. That is the difference between people taking control of their life, and not taking control.

Old 03-30-2017, 02:43 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
It would be good if the op told us what happens at work. Being bullied is no fun.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:23 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
I was bullied as a kid and it made me stronger. I learned how to get through tough situations.

You're not powerless as a person who is bullied. There are proven steps that can be taken to stop being harassed. It is up to YOU to take those steps, and to make your life a better place. That is the difference between people taking control of their life, and not taking control.
Being bullied as a kid is far different, you can throw down in the school yard, not in the office, you basically have to become an even more calculating evil dbag than the boss in order to gain the upper hand. And if you cant get them completely fired out of the company then they will up their game and they have position over you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment