Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:17 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Based solely on what you wrote, you stayed, you allowed yourself to be used for a long period of time, you knew the environment, yet you never found a new job. I don't buy, it was not possible to find a new job after years and years, you made excuses and continue to do so.

I am willing to bet, your coworkers/bosses have a different view on what you call "bullying," that is backed up by the attorney only writing a letter, knowing full well the true facts may be a little different than the version you are stating.
Sometimes its not, I started pretending like I was unemployed 4th quarter of 2015 and still no offers. Granted I am not applying to just anything as I want job security and that can only be found with fed govt but I have applied to some other jobs as well and nothing ...in a year and a half.

I have enough of a safety net that I would just get up and leave the room and if they started it at my cube I would just leave and still bill for the day, I might come back a few hours later. Luckily I have not had to employ that yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2017, 12:03 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Make a complaint to your union. Oh that's right Americans let that sadly needed tool slip out of their hands. You are lucky you weren't fired.
Government jobs have unions

Old 03-10-2017, 12:07 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,212 times
I have not really face a bullying boss or co worker expect at a start up i work at for a few days only many years ago.
Being bullied to work the night shift was the last straw
Got fired and glad i did

Work for the government now
A much better job for IT work

Old 03-10-2017, 05:58 AM

72 posts, read 73,595 times
So for the sake of argument lets say the bullying was real: Other than quitting like a coward and being called a job hopper, what could I have done to fight back other than the five things I already did?

Last edited by want to learn; 03-10-2017 at 06:07 AM..

Old 03-10-2017, 06:02 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by want to learn View Post
During my long career I was bullied by my boss and coworkers on a regular basis. I chose a career field with lots of competition for jobs and it was not possible to just quit or make a scene because I needed the money. We lived on 110% of our paychecks for years!

I tried everything short of quitting to get the bullying to stop. This included:

Going to HR to get them to make it stop.

Going to my bosses manager to complain

Having an attorney write a certified letter to senior management stating I would sue for harassment.

Making a formal appeal in writing to my bosses emotions to stop the bullying.

Making a scene which included crying.

None of these approaches worked. What did I do wrong?

Take it a step further with your lawyer and sue them for harassment! Then quit!

Old 03-10-2017, 06:49 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Quote:
So for the sake of argument lets say the bullying was real: Other than quitting like a coward and being called a job hopper, what could I have done to fight back other than the five things I already did?

You could quit. Quitting a job like that is not being a coward. It is actually the right thing to do because the company will have to suffer with the consequences of the decisions they made. Being a coward is staying there with a company who does this because you are afraid that you may not find another job. THAT is when a bad company wins and gains control over you. Don't forget, employment is a MUTUAL agreement. Either party can end the agreement at any time if necessary.

If it were truly that bad the company will not keep employees and will bully its way out of the market and fail. But if you go to another job and suddenly you're being bullied yet again you need to redefine your definition of bullying.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:53 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,054 times
Quote:
I would not have done the five things you did. I think that you were trying to be the bully. It makes me think that they were asking you to do work you did not like and you did not wish to do it so you tried to make it hard to work with you.

I know people like this.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:03 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I worked for someone who was a bi-polar bully and a nut job.

It was a job I really wanted and provided me a great leg up into an industry I wanted to work in. So I stomached the guy for 12 months and then I got the hell out. Moved on to a better opportunity in the same industry.

I was fortunate to have co-workers who were sympathetic and supportive. They all left in due course as well.

One of the day shift supervisors at my last job is an alcoholic and seems to be bipolar as well. She was often difficult to deal with and I had to work with her for the first four hours of my shift. She was one of the people I made cry. We actually had a great working relationship after we went toe to toe over an issue. It turned out that while I delayed a patients departure from our hospital for a couple more days, I absolutely did the right thing for the spouse who was going to take care of her husband at home on a ventilator. I'm sure she didn't like the fact that I made her look like an idiot, but the sad truth is that clinically I was way better at the job then she was. She may not have liked me for awhile but she damn sure did respect me, and my opinion. Granted there are some people that you just can't reason with, and they will do their best to get rid of you. There's nothing you can do but move on. It's been my experience that anyone higher up then you is more important to the work place then any replaceable worker bee.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:31 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
The only effective thing you can do in a bullying situation is ignore them and do your job while conducting a job search. It is a no win scenario working with regressives and nothing you do is going to make them change.

Old 03-10-2017, 03:09 PM

72 posts, read 73,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The only effective thing you can do in a bullying situation is ignore them and do your job while conducting a job search. It is a no win scenario working with regressives and nothing you do is going to make them change.
I could not quit, I needed the money and I could not ignore the taunts because it destroyed me.

Yelling, screaming, threats, lies, gossip, and ridicule. It was a living hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment