Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 02:05 PM

679 posts, read 806,959 times

Advertisements

I'm straight commission, so I get as many unpaid vacation days as I can manage or want.

My wife works a regular job, so she has to get approval. Currently, she gets 3 weeks paid vacation per year.

She just asked for three weeks off, in one week increments so we can plan our trips for the year. April, June, and August we have trips planned. I also take the last week of the year off to recharge.

If you plan your vacations for the year, you always have something to look forward to!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 02:20 PM

12,278 posts, read 7,985,400 times
We start with two weeks a year with additional weeks added after a few years until the 15th at which point you get five weeks a year. In theory you can use a day at a time but in practice that is only allowed in place of using some of the two weeks of sick leave earned every year.

Come December the senior employees choose their preferred vacation weeks and everyone else goes into a lottery to see who is next in line. Meaning vacations can't be planned until January of the vacation year.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:44 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,227,844 times
I think I get 4 weeks. In addition, I also get sick time and 14 holidays (2 that I can float.) However, I have super cool senior peeps--if I work a few weekend hours, they give me some free PTO days. We also have options to "earn" additional PTO, for giving blood and plasma. Add in my remote days, that I have each week, where I can work from anywhere...and it's pretty flexible. For example, I'm going East, for a week in August...but will only need to use 3 PTO days, since I will be remote. I carried over 3 days, as well.

So sort of unlimited? Realistically, around 5-6 weeks? If I include the holidays and sick, way more.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:12 PM

3,224 posts, read 3,509,443 times
5 weeks vacation + 2 personal days + week off between Christmas and New years. Next year I get an extra week (ongoing) because I will have 20 yrs service. My wife hates to travel so we don't book long trips anywhere. Days are use it or lose it each year, but you can use prior year's days in current year if you start vacation before Christmas shutdown. As a result, usually 2-3 weeks off around Christmas, burning up prior years holiday in January. Working for a European company (but in the US) has its benefits because the UK/European employees all take 2-3 weeks off at a time in July/August, so it is part of the culture.

Old 03-08-2017, 03:25 PM

15,784 posts, read 21,291,118 times
I get 20 vacation days a year of which 15 can roll over (and I try to roll over close to the maximum because vacation time is paid out when we leave). I also get a week off between Christmas and New Year's, 3 days off at Thanksgiving, and a few other paid holidays as well as 4 personal days (can never accrue more than 4, so we have a policy in my office to use them up) and a max of 12 sick days.

Most of my vacations are "staycations," so I plan that time off around when my boyfriend (who runs his own small business) has down time and I can get away from work. I normally take a week in the summer and another week in the fall. Otherwise, I take long weekends here and there around conferences or busy weekends, especially in the summer where it's expected in my office to either take either Monday/Friday off completely, or work extra hours on the other 4 days to flex.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:24 AM

10,932 posts, read 11,659,426 times
When I "worked" in Denmark: 1 week in mid-winter, skiing or as warm a place as we could find, 1 week in the early Spring, usually in Eastern Europe, 2 weeks in late Spring in a warm place in Southern Europe and 2 weeks in early fall in the US seeing children and old friends.

When I worked in the US? I don't really remember. We took a lot of short trips with our kids, long weekends exploiting multi-day holidays. We mainly did outdoors stuff, camping, hiking and climbing, or downhill and cross-country skiing in places like the Boundary Waters (no skiing) , when we lived in Minnesota, and lots of not too-distant recreational places when we lived in Colorado, Washington and Oregon. Our long vacations - a week - were spent visiting my family in New England or New York, or my ex-wife's family in Colorado (when we didn't live there).

I have lots of old photos to remind me of my early family days on these vacations and far too many of my vacations over the past 20+ years, since I moved to Denmark.

Old 03-09-2017, 07:52 AM

13,011 posts, read 12,957,211 times
I get 5 weeks of vacation. Typically I will take a week in Jan or February, a two week period on October or November, and use about a week a day at a time throughout the year. I typically roll over a week.

I now have enough vacation accrued that I have to use it or lose it, so I think I will work 3-4 day weeks throughout the summer.

Old 03-09-2017, 09:22 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,562,832 times
I get 7wks and how I use it varies by year. Rarely use all of it but usually take a couple week-two week chunks, several long weekends and time off for volunteering at my son's school. We can also sell our pto back or save it for early retirement.

Old 03-09-2017, 10:43 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,684,528 times
I get 4 weeks now. Every other year we take international trips in December/Jan so I can bundle my vacation for 2 years and not get hit too much. Those trips tend to be 2-4 weeks long. The year we don't take international trip, we do 1 week real vacation somewhere nice and rest of it is a day here, a day there, a day to sleep in. Often add a day to holiday weekends to get 4 days off.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:50 AM

317 posts, read 236,920 times
i get 2 weeks now,can roll them into next year,so once it gets 4 weeks take a international trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment