Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:33 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,995,499 times

Advertisements

Sometimes stupid people get what they deserve.

I worked 29 years at two different union places.
I had guys from non-union places say they never would work at a union place because ............" I want to negotiate my own wages "

The place they work calls them in once a year for a review and has them sign a paper..... that has already been typed up well in advance ....stating what their wage is for the next year.

The worker then leaves with his chest sticking out proud that he.....negotiated... his own wage that called for no wage increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 09:41 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Sometimes stupid people get what they deserve.

I worked 29 years at two different union places.
I had guys from non-union places say they never would work at a union place because ............" I want to negotiate my own wages "

The place they work calls them in once a year for a review and has them sign a paper..... that has already been typed up well in advance ....stating what their wage is for the next year.

The worker then leaves with his chest sticking out proud that he.....negotiated... his own wage that called for no wage increase.
You're funny.

In a union shop, you get what you get. Period. They can't pay you more than anyone else in your job classification or that has seniority.

Meanwhile, I've negotiated wages and raises many times. Sure, I've been handed the piece of paper with a number on it... and said nope, that isn't going to cut it, how about $X?

Is there special Kool-Aid that's only available to union members? Because I've never seen a more close-minded bunch. They all have to be in lockstep, wearing their purple shirts, chanting what they've been told to chant. I cannot imagine giving up my self-esteem to become a member of a group dedicated to the lowest common denominator.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
You're funny.

In a union shop, you get what you get. Period. They can't pay you more than anyone else in your job classification or that has seniority.

Meanwhile, I've negotiated wages and raises many times. Sure, I've been handed the piece of paper with a number on it... and said nope, that isn't going to cut it, how about $X?

Is there special Kool-Aid that's only available to union members? Because I've never seen a more close-minded bunch. They all have to be in lockstep, wearing their purple shirts, chanting what they've been told to chant. I cannot imagine giving up my self-esteem to become a member of a group dedicated to the lowest common denominator.

At the last union place I worked..........small, family owned business......33 employees.......the plant manager said he had no problem with a union as he now doesn't have to deal negotiating with 33 different people, all convinced that THEY are the most valuable employee and thus deserve more money than their co-workers.

Productivity?..........the business owner owned three similar plants doing the same work in three different states.

Our plant always got the most difficult projects, had the least employee turnover, and was the most profitable of the three.

Yes, the union plant !

Old 03-22-2017, 10:39 AM

Also, what I liked about the union job was seniority gave you the chance to try for a higher wage more difficult job when an opening arose.

Kissing the boss' arse wasn't required to get a chance to try the job.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:00 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Also, what I liked about the union job was seniority gave you the chance to try for a higher wage more difficult job when an opening arose.

Kissing the boss' arse wasn't required to get a chance to try the job.
Funny how I've worked jobs that you had to only express an interest in a higher position to get a chance at it. Seniority didn't matter, willingness did.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:47 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Do you live out of a tiny home trailer?
No.

What is your purpose for asking that?

Old 03-22-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
You're funny.

Our negotiated wages in my union are minimum wages. I've made equal wages to my superiors for about a year and a half before I was reclassified same as them. I've known apprentices to make journeyman, and even foreman wages before they were ever reclassified.

Even our minimum wages are usually higher than our non-union counterparts. Couple that with no health insurance premiums taken off the top we usually come out ahead of those that make a few dollars more than us per hour. That doesn't even factor in retirement pension and 401k.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Funny how I've worked jobs that you had to only express an interest in a higher position to get a chance at it. Seniority didn't matter, willingness did.
A long list of people who had willingness to try the new job !

Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
No.

What is your purpose for asking that?
I am curious how people manage their personal and family life with frequent moving around the country or the world. I think people that have structured their life's so that this is a viable option have more freedom so long as they are not making drastic sacrifices in life to friends and family (most notably moving a spouse around with you who might have a difficult time finding a comparable job in the new area.

If I could figure out how to open up my options without uprooting my entire life or living out of some extended stay away from my wife for more than a few days that could be a game changer.

Do you ever own a home? Do you own a home as a "base" and then live in a motor home when job needs shift? Do you keep buying and selling or just rent? I have found that dealing with land lords is a tedious head ach, they get weird about stuff and harass you etc.

Right now I have a good job and my wife has a good job and we own a house that we owe less than 300k on now, I am at greater risk of being laid off than my wife and she would come with me if we had to move but because she makes really good money as well my "moving pay" would have to be significant for her to then be unemployed etc etc. She also has a sort of tenure so that would have to be factored in to the new pay etc etc.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I am curious how people manage their personal and family life with frequent moving around the country or the world. I think people that have structured their life's so that this is a viable option have more freedom so long as they are not making drastic sacrifices in life to friends and family (most notably moving a spouse around with you who might have a difficult time finding a comparable job in the new area.

If I could figure out how to open up my options without uprooting my entire life or living out of some extended stay away from my wife for more than a few days that could be a game changer.

Do you ever own a home? Do you own a home as a "base" and then live in a motor home when job needs shift? Do you keep buying and selling or just rent? I have found that dealing with land lords is a tedious head ach, they get weird about stuff and harass you etc.

Right now I have a good job and my wife has a good job and we own a house that we owe less than 300k on now, I am at greater risk of being laid off than my wife and she would come with me if we had to move but because she makes really good money as well my "moving pay" would have to be significant for her to then be unemployed etc etc. She also has a sort of tenure so that would have to be factored in to the new pay etc etc.
Yes, we have a mortgage on a modest 3 bedroom 1 bath house in a very nice neighborhood. 2 young children and 3 cars, only one with a very affordable loan, other two are paid off.

No other debt now that I think about it.

We moved around a lot before we set down roots renting houses/apartments, but my wife works from home as an independent contractor (she has a bachelors). I work in a trade that I can find work anywhere in the United States and make anywhere from as low as $25 an hour to $60 an hour dependent on the area. I also have my master's license so I can start contracting if I chose to.

We have family here, and it's probably the only thing keeping us settled for the moment, but we have entertained going to a high wage area to stuff a couple thousand dollars away in a few months without having to try.

The way I see it, there are people that do, and there are people that don't. We live with an economy that does not favor the idle, or the complacent. As you know, sometimes you have to give up what's comfortable if it means finding security elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment