Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
No, I trying to get any entry level tech job like database, network, analyst, and etc but I couldn't get a job because I don't have relative experience.
So... will getting a MS really change that?

I'm not saying getting a Masters is not a good idea - but it's not necessarily the solution to the problem you stated (not finding a job). If experience is the issue, then you need to figure out a way to get some. Be it finding an unpaid internship/volunteering or looking at a different location.

You'd also want to narrow your focus down a bit. Database/network/analyst positions typically don't require a CS degree (I guess it depends on the type of analyst). Again, it may prove to be an invaluable piece to your overall skills in those areas - but it likely won't substitute for experience when looking for a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 03:04 PM

101 posts, read 176,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
If you want to do something in IT, I would go back and get my masters in CS. I would also find a way to get some experience. You could even try doing some volunteer IT work local non-profits.
Thanks everyone for responding to my question. When I first started college, I hear people say that CS is difficult to get a job because Tech companies are outsourcing CS jobs to India/China for cheaper labor. CS just became hot in recent years.

I definitely want to get a Master to get a better life, but I really don't know what I love doing as a daily job. I know that I love computer and technology. I'm thinking about either CE or EE. I will definitely get experience while working on my Master.

Old 03-14-2017, 03:27 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,426,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
Thanks everyone for responding to my question. When I first started college, I hear people say that CS is difficult to get a job because Tech companies are outsourcing CS jobs to India/China for cheaper labor. CS just became hot in recent years.

I definitely want to get a Master to get a better life, but I really don't know what I love doing as a daily job. I know that I love computer and technology. I'm thinking about either CE or EE. I will definitely get experience while working on my Master.
I think a lot of larger companies are outsourcing their IT jobs, but most of the mid-sized and small ones, at least here in Austin, haven't started doing that.

However, because of the Univ. of Texas, Austin has a HUGE pool of recent college grads all looking for jobs. So employers here have a large pool of workers to choose from, all willing to work for peanuts just to get their foot in the door. So there is really no reason to look elsewhere.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:10 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,151 times
No, unless you can get it for free or, better yet, while acquiring relevant experience. I have both Bachelors and Masters in CS. I only did my Masters because I was offered a very decent assitanship - my tuition was paid and I was getting stipend, all for maintaining student paper's website. It was in 2001, so I'm not even sure these opportunities exist anymore. This was also not a top program, by far.

More important, though, is what type of jobs you are looking to gain access after getting your degree. Do you like programming? Or are you attracted to building networks, for example?

Also, the proposition of getting a degree in EE to someone who chose MIS because CS was too hard scares me. Are you ready for the level of math that EE requires?! My son is currently pursuing degree in EE and OMG that math. He is doing fine, but those are not easy classes! (I know, because my Bachelors in CS is from overseas and my program was a true engineering program, with math through Calc 3, Diff Eq, Statistics, Optimization etc. My Masters here was a piece of cake after my BS).

ETA: that being said, I disagree with poster who said MIS majors get passed by employers because they are considered "lazy". A fresh graduate from MIS program is just after different jobs than a fresh CS graduate. Over the years, I've worked with a lot of MIS graduates. They were network engineers, DB and system admins (some absolutely great ones!)

Last edited by OhioToCO; 03-14-2017 at 06:18 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 08:09 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
No, unless you can get it for free or, better yet, while acquiring relevant experience. I have both Bachelors and Masters in CS. I only did my Masters because I was offered a very decent assitanship - my tuition was paid and I was getting stipend, all for maintaining student paper's website. It was in 2001, so I'm not even sure these opportunities exist anymore. This was also not a top program, by far.

More important, though, is what type of jobs you are looking to gain access after getting your degree. Do you like programming? Or are you attracted to building networks, for example?

Also, the proposition of getting a degree in EE to someone who chose MIS because CS was too hard scares me. Are you ready for the level of math that EE requires?! My son is currently pursuing degree in EE and OMG that math. He is doing fine, but those are not easy classes! (I know, because my Bachelors in CS is from overseas and my program was a true engineering program, with math through Calc 3, Diff Eq, Statistics, Optimization etc. My Masters here was a piece of cake after my BS).

ETA: that being said, I disagree with poster who said MIS majors get passed by employers because they are considered "lazy". A fresh graduate from MIS program is just after different jobs than a fresh CS graduate. Over the years, I've worked with a lot of MIS graduates. They were network engineers, DB and system admins (some absolutely great ones!)
Agreed.

If someone is looking for a hardcore development position, then no, MIS is not the degree. If you're looking to leverage tech to enhance business, then MIS provides a good foundation.

With that said, no, going back to immediately get a master's when you have no experience is not going to change the situation materially and will just lead to more debt.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:04 PM

101 posts, read 176,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Thank you so much. You are wonderful! I am currently hopeless, but you brought hope into my life. You don't know how much motivation your post gave me. I thought my MIS major was wasted, but there are ways to get the best out of it.

I really don't mind continuing to take college classes in computer network or database and work full time. Hopefully, I will be able to land an entry level job in network technician and work my way up to become a network engineer.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:55 PM

156 posts, read 123,850 times
I've thought about getting a MSCS degree as well. Not everyone is cut out to be a programmer so make sure this is something that you want to do. MIS degree is different than CS so keep that in mind. Good luck, maybe take some cs classes at junior college and learn on your own for free online.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:12 AM

628 posts, read 818,970 times
What school did you get the MIS degree in? Some of the UC schools combine the rigor of computer science and business administration into that degree. If it's one of the those online degrees, then it may be pretty much worthless. They have to say things like BS "Engineering Technology", because they aren't accredited in the field of engineering. You need internships and experience. You can goto graduate school while your working. If you can find an affordable public school that will hire you while learning it may be a good option. I also agree that your in probably the worst location in the U.S., most of the talent in the Bay Area is graduates from Cal and Stanford first and foremost. The rest is sourced from foreign workers with many years of experience.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:26 AM

162 posts, read 62,327 times
IT degrees (like MIS etc.) are about the installation, maintenance and administration of existing technology. A CS degree is about applying mathematics to create new technology. They are very different but often confused, even by people in the field.

If you love math and want to invent new technology, get a CS degree. But the OP was talking about administering databases, networks etc which is clearly IT.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:43 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
I'd try to get work experience first before going back to college and getting any more degrees. You may find you don't like working in the IT field.

Generally speaking, a master's degree without any relevant job experience for computer jobs does not make you look more marketable as an applicant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment