Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 03:56 PM

156 posts, read 123,651 times

Advertisements

It's really up to you but for some it is worth it. I know people who are 300k in debt from pharmacy school and are still struggling. If you can land a job after school than it would be worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:14 PM

24 posts, read 24,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
We are not short of dentists in my area and he practices solo. He seems to work a lot. But I jinxed it---I actually went to the dentist after posting that and it was the first time he had a someone else clean my teeth in the five years or so that I've been going to him. He did seem busy that day, so maybe I just haven't been there on "busy" days where he actually has a hygienist. Just glad I had a quick, "See you in six months."

I have also thought about PA school since I have all of the requirements but now my classes are deemed "too old" by most places. Medical schools don't usually have a cap like that since they have the MCAT sort of as an equalizer.
you know how your dentist is doing financially? My relative who is a dentist has his own solo practice and after he pays off all his overhead, he is left with 100k. He works like an absolute dog too.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:40 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentnoob1 View Post
you know how your dentist is doing financially? My relative who is a dentist has his own solo practice and after he pays off all his overhead, he is left with 100k. He works like an absolute dog too.
I think it really depends on where you work and the practice area. I went to one periodontist who was pretty much one of the only games in town. He did very well and took the entire office on vacations (sometimes extremely nice ones). I moved and I think he has a friend periodontist in this town who runs his practice the same way. In my hometown, there weren't that many places that seemed to do periodontal work and implants either. Of course, the training for the more niche areas is an added cost, but that is how you can make money. Even though you would probably need to hire hygeinists, people who go to periodontists often have more visits (sometimes every 2-3 months) and checkups than your typical patient.

I have one friend whose dad is a dentist and he told me his dad was really trying to focus on doing the implants because it was a money maker.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:41 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,705,460 times
I wouldn't want to be 300K in debt, and I would not have married anyone with that much debt.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:16 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
My dentist drives a Lamborghini. True story. He owns the practice, and has about 4 other dentists working for him plus several hygienists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment