Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:49 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Most places I have worked had strict anti-nepotism policies. If a pair of coworkers got married, one of them usually had to quit.

However the company where I work now is the opposite. They highly encourage employees to get their relatives kids, wife ect to apply for open positions. They say it guarantees loyalty to the company and improves longevity. They say these benefits are a bigger positive than the difficulty of dealing with one family member quitting or getting fired. The company does not hold the Dad accountable if the son comes and steals and gets fires or drinks or whatever. Everyone stands on their own according to policy anyway.

My daughter is applying for a position as receptionist. If she gets it, we will likely drive to work together. That means I will arrive an hour earlier and more consistently than normal - so the company benefits. Right now I arrive when I want to (within reason). Thus, I am usually in between 745 and 900. If my daughter gets the position, she will have to be here every day at 7 or 7:30, so will I. I will not mind because it means I get to spend an extra hour and a half with my daughter each day which outweighs the onus of having to come in early and consistently. Plus I do not have a lonely drive in to work.

One guy has three generations working here. four of his kids, one grandkid, two brothers and a nephew. They get singled out as a shining example of a family dedicated to the company and committed to its success.

This policy seems to work extremely well. The people with family here usually stay for their whole career. The company has grown to one of the top 50 companies in the US in out business and has always been profitable during every one of its 100 years.

What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 05:03 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
If your comfortable and they're comfortable, then good to go.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:05 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
What do you all think?
I think the owners of a business should be free to run it however they see fit. I'm glad it sounds like it's working out.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I was a supervisor at a public agency in CA that had civil service exams for every position except executive and GM, and then the top scorers were interviewed. Even with that, I ended up with 3 generations working for me. I inherited the mother and grandmother, hired the daughter. A couple of years later her brother got a job in another department. All were among our best employees. The only difficulty was for me, if they took a family vacation and all 3 wanted the same week off. I could only allow it if there was only 1-2 others off that week, or we would be left short handed, because I only brought in 4-5 summer relief temps.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:43 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
When I worked for the then Fortune #1 company there were many relatives working there. Once we had a chance to recommend a family member for employment and they got first consideration. It worked out fine. I agree with the OP.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:18 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,380,359 times
The issue we have is the hires are usually family members of Administrators cronies, and they are then protected, and usually get back door bennies....example: unreported paid days off, then carry over whatever they are entitled to yearly....unjust OT.....regardless of work performance.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:46 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Nepotism should be made illegal period and anyone that engages in such practices should be fired and face legal repercussions. . Since any time it's involved something illegal or against company policies is probably going on to begin with. Mostly probably shady back door deals as the poster above mentioned. Can't have one without the other

Old 03-16-2017, 07:04 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
If the owner want to do it I guess it is their business they can eat any problems or lost opportunities. If management at a company does it or a public agency it is corruption period. The job of management is to hire the best person for the job and lowering standards for friends and relatives costs the company money and morale. Also as Beer belly indicated having a subordinate that is a friend or relative is very likely to lead to more lax treatment of that worker compared to the rest of the team which will often lead to loss of efficiency and loss of morale.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:07 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
For a privately owned company, sure, particularly if privately held. That's a reason why people create companies. They can run it how they want, and if they favor unprofitable relatives over profitable non-relatives, then they get the privilege of going out of business.

For a publically held company, there are already public laws applicable, and stockholders will maintain accountability.

I don't consider it nepotism at all simply for related people to work in the same company or government agency, particularly if one is not in the chain of command of the other or has no real way to influence the hiring and career of the other.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:08 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Nepotism should be made illegal period and anyone that engages in such practices should be fired and face legal repercussions. . Since any time it's involved something illegal or against company policies is probably going on to begin with. Mostly probably shady back door deals as the poster above mentioned. Can't have one without the other
There are many communities that have only one or two major employers, and it's been common for generations for multiple family members to work for that employer. The simple fact of multiple family members working for a company is no red flag for corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment