Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:07 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
As a female, I wouldn't.
My friend has spent most of the last 8 years or so working 6-9 months each year in Qatar. She got paid a lot more there. She enjoyed it, her job provided housing and was generally treated well. She visited all sorts of places as well.

Other than not wearing skimpy clothing and sharing driving responsibilities she did not make any sacrifices. Qatar is more conservative than Dubai. One of her highlights was a daily dose of fresh juices and smoothies that she said were amazingly flavorful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 07:20 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
You are mistaken and it sucks that people on here keep believing this lie even though it has been repeatedly not proven by those of us who have actually lived and work there. The ONLY ones making anywhere in that kinda of money are the Executives and not certainly non-PM's in this day and age over there. The ME countries that rely on the price of oil and natural gas are hurting. My wife worked for a guy who made $200k a year with a free car and a nice house for his family, he got laid off last year due to the prices of natural gas/oil were so low that the really well known company cut over half the staff in the country.

But the problem that alot of people run into when they work overseas either by contracting or full time is that they start making the money they wanted, then they start spending it on stuff in the USA that they can't use over there. I have seen people I knew in Afghanistan buy new toys and be happy about it when they are working/living in Afghanistan. I would then joke with them about how they just bought a new car for their wife's lover while he was gone.
Thank you. It's not like any random person off the street is going to be offered 400k/year for 3 years lol The scenario OP is talking about is a quick buck for an urgent need, not a long standing thing for a bunch of run of the mill employees.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:55 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Getting out is much different than uprooting your life to the opposite side of the world to make a few bucks.
Uprooting your life? It is a whopping six months...

Old 03-23-2017, 08:06 AM

626 posts, read 626,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
My friend has spent most of the last 8 years or so working 6-9 months each year in Qatar. She got paid a lot more there. She enjoyed it, her job provided housing and was generally treated well. She visited all sorts of places as well.

Other than not wearing skimpy clothing and sharing driving responsibilities she did not make any sacrifices. Qatar is more conservative than Dubai. One of her highlights was a daily dose of fresh juices and smoothies that she said were amazingly flavorful.
This is so true. I only spent 9 months in Qatar but my wife spent 4 years living/working there. She and I had such a good time that we are actively looking at going back there. We both enjoyed employer provided housing and treated pretty well. Once you learn the intricacies of what to do and what not to do you are fine. You can live your life with no worries.

My wife lived closer to the city of Doha and thus enjoyed the finer details of being able to get some of that like juices and other things. While I worked on the far outskirts of Northern Doha, there wasn't much up there in the beginning but by the end of my stay they had already opened up a McDonald's and a KFC both of which delivered. So I made some very good friends with some Indians from the local Schwarma place, and I love it to this day.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:27 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
NO WAY

Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
keeping my head attached to my body is worth more then $100-200k to me
LOL, well, someone like you would never get such a job offer anyway, so don't worry.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:58 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I am single and childless. So leaving for 6 months wouldn't uproot anyone. I'd want to do some more digging because I have heard mixed stuff about how black women are treated in some places. I'd love to chat with a fellow black American (or one from the U.K. Or Canada) to see how it went before signing.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:20 AM

626 posts, read 626,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am single and childless. So leaving for 6 months wouldn't uproot anyone. I'd want to do some more digging because I have heard mixed stuff about how black women are treated in some places. I'd love to chat with a fellow black American (or one from the U.K. Or Canada) to see how it went before signing.
I have worked with some black Americans both men and women while I was working in the ME. Honestly, they had no problem in that regard because we all come off as Americans. I know the men liked it alot because women thought that they were a nice oddity, but the women I knew had no problem at all. I know alot of the Indians and Arabs are really attracted to white women, so the black women didn't have a problem going around and not being bothered.
You will come across as an American no matter where you are.... It's hard to explain but Americans are unique. People can tell we are Americans by the way we talk, dress, move, and have self confidence compared to other countries. As long as you are like that you won't have a problem.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:50 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Thank you. It's not like any random person off the street is going to be offered 400k/year for 3 years lol The scenario OP is talking about is a quick buck for an urgent need, not a long standing thing for a bunch of run of the mill employees.
Not unless it's an organ mill and the job is really that they want to harvest your organs! I hear a good kidney will go for $200,000 and up nowadays, maybe $100,000 for a part of your liver.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:08 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
I worked at the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard back in the 80's/90's. One of our superintendents took a job in Barain (sp) and never came back, he liked it that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment