Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 08:19 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Basic Income???? Sound more like a fancy way to say WELFARE PAYMENTS!
The differences are important, everyone get's it so there is no stigma involved. It can't be taken away, greatly reduced existence angst. You are still free to work as much as you want, even a crappy service job could enable a decent living. You are also free to be self employed, be creative whatever with reduced risk...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 08:24 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
You are also free to be self employed, be creative whatever with reduced risk...
You can do that now

Only difference is you dont like being poor

What makes you think basic income will end poverty and you wont be poor?

Even ussr and communism didnt end poverty by providing everything needed for living, everyone did equally poorly but the 1%

Old 03-18-2017, 08:39 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,997,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
lol ... Luddite

We can't put the genie back into the bottle.

Universal basic income, now that is something that will likely happen in the future in western countries.

I doubt any of us will ever see that regardless of our age.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:12 AM

23 posts, read 14,062 times
To automate something, you actually need to have AUTOMATORS who actually are in the company and have access to the tech and understand the process. Plus, automation constantly needs to be tested and tweaked.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:51 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Interesting notion... probably could happen but not in my or my children's lifetime. We can't even agree poor people should get medicaid for basic healthcare right now in several states, idiotic & makes no economic sense in the big picture. I suspect that it could happen after a period of very severe national trauma - a long term economic depression accompanied by a war, something that would unify the country out of necessity.

But without that environment, & I hope I don't live to see that, I can't see it happening here.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:11 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Right now we have a form of workfare which is a start. You can work part time minimum wage at Mickey Ds or Wally World and collect government assistance.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:25 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,527,335 times
We are witnessing and experiencing a historic change in human sociology. We have evolved to be efficient, a few thousand years ago we existed to survive and our days were filled with our efforts to find food and shelter, but our bigger brains kept figuring out ways to make that effort easier. We, as a species, have to figure out where we fit into the system we have created, although we can pay people to exist, what then? We didn't make ourselves obsolete overnight and we won't solve the problem of finding our purpose quickly either. Machines are not sentient, they don't ask questions, they don't wonder or just ask "why or how?". There are plenty of "easier" ways to get to the top of Mt. Everest, but for some it's the journey and not the destination.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:50 AM

388 posts, read 307,499 times
Machine looms put hand weavers out of work.

Electric lights put candlemakers out of work.

Tractors put farmers out of work.

Cars put carriage drivers out of work.

Would you really want to live in a world without those things? Whenever we gain the ability to be more productive with our time, we get richer, not poorer. The only reason we're not all doing backbreaking work for eighteen hours a day just to feed ourselves is because technological improvements have allowed us to produce more with less human labor.

I can't predict what new innovations will arise as the use of robots frees up more and more human labor any more than subsistence farmers two centuries ago could have predicted iPhones or website design services, but I can say with absolute certainty that we'll be better off for it.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:38 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
pay wages with what? robots don't pay taxes...

you'd only be getting your tax money back from govt or do people really think the fed would print up money for them?
Bill Gates says we should tax the robots. It makes sense. We used to tax the workers, but robots took all the jobs, so tax the robots. Simple.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:42 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Basic income? Sure as long as money keeps coming in I don't care.

Will help desk jobs and desktops support jobs really be all automated? I pretty much would to love to do that or be a teacher for the rest of my life
Certainly not all of them, but there are no more people employed in IT now than were employed in that sector 25 years ago, and the number of computers has exploded in those 25 years. Most tasks have been automated. Your next OS update will be transparent and never touched by human hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment