Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:11 PM

679 posts, read 811,393 times

Advertisements

Definitely do what you committed to do. Leave on good terms with a reference.

Don't get upset because they don't need you to select your replacement. That's not a realistic expectation. You're leaving and maybe they are using this an an opportunity for change.

Truth is, life will go on after you are gone. Get on with the next chapter in your life and don't waste any energy over a soon to be past chapter. Good luck with it and enjoy some down time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 09:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,227,224 times
The way they are behaving sounds completely normal and expected. What they told you they would do (and what you want them to do...is not normal.

Maybe not you, but plenty of exiting employees sabotage, destroy, delete, and steal on their way out the door. Enough do this that companies are cautious during a notice-period. They will take steps to minimize what kind of data you have access to. It is normal that during this time your responsibilities dwindle.

The skills needed to find your replacement are the same ones your managers used when they hired you. And just because you know YOUR skills doesn't mean you are the best person to evaluate the needs of the JOB. So your managers are more qualified than you to pick your replacement.

This may be an opportunity for the company to re-evaluate the responsibilities/roles of the job. Maybe they are thinking of doing some realignment. And that's none of your business because it's not your company. This may also be why other people in the company are attending such interviews and not you.

HR is not that unique of a world. There may have been some unique ways of doing things or aspects of the company, but it's still HR. Every company in the world has HR, in some form or another. Now, if you worked in some obscure corner of science like Precolonial Integalactic Glacial Zoology....that would be highly unique. That might be a job in which management needs the outgoing person's input. But HR? I guarantee that you are not the only person in the world with the requisite skills needed for the job.

It's just business....but it's not. It's also relationships. You can tell people 'I'm leaving' and then expect them to be fawning after you, treating you like the center of attention. You kind of sound like you wanted them to beg you to stay, and are upset that they didn't.

Most people spend their last few weeks organizing files, transitioning projects to temporary overseers, cleaning off their desk, reaching out to those colleagues you want to stay in touch with. Sit back and relax and enjoy less demands.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,193,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
Even though they aren't holding up their end of the deal?

Also, my resignation letter was worded in such a way that basically says "on or before April 28th" and not necessarily up to April 28th - that's just the date I said I would absolutely NOT work passed.
Since you said on or before you have an out. So, train this new person...and get the heck out of there. Usually they don't allow the exiting party to be that involved in hiring.

I was in your same position. I felt obligated, I stayed two months after my husband moved across state so that I could find the perfect social worker for my position as a director in a nursing home. I did it for my residents....I wanted the best person that I could find. And, I didn't regret it. I found my replacement, I did the searching and the phone interviewing but I wasn't part of the process of interviewing him at my facility...and it didn't bother me. I did get to introduce him to each of the residents, and help them with the transition...and that was what I really cared about.

If you have someone you want to refer, do it now. I think if you assert yourself, that you can be as much, or as small a part of this process as you decide. Good luck to you.

Last edited by JanND; 03-21-2017 at 10:26 PM..

Old 03-22-2017, 07:21 AM

301 posts, read 188,935 times
I appreciate all the advice. That's why I posted, I wanted some outside feedback to know if this was strange or not.

I suppose it just feels awkward to me because literally everyone else that has left the company in recent years has sat in on their replacement interviews. It seemed normal to me, I had nothing to compare it to. So when they said that I would be involved, I assumed they meant what they said because I've seen it happen. So yeah, I am upset that for whatever reason, I'm being left out of this process. Maybe they've changed their minds and have decided to change the way they do things now and its just a coincidence, who knows. I feel that, for this company, I had reasonable expectation to be involved. Maybe it isn't normal in the business world, but for this company, it is normal.

For what's its worth, they do like me. They did beg me to stay. They're upset that I'm going, but they understand why. What they offered did not change my mind from leaving. It's not the job, but the town. The best job in the world wouldn't change the fact that I'm miserable in my personal life because I'm unhappy with where I live.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:12 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,667,896 times
Although, I do think that it would be the "right" thing to do, to stay until the 28th, if you are so unhappy and can make a lot more money, why not ask for some letters of recommendation now? Get them NOW, before you leave. And then as soon as you get them, say, "Well this just isn't working out for me due to the fact that I am not involved in the interviewing process, as promised."

Then say good-bye and leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment