Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 02:21 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,720,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebted View Post
Going to call HR

This passive, ignoring and maybe the person will go away trick is so unprofessional and disappointing

Lost all respect for the ****ty firm and will always keep this in mind as I advance in this industry and work for competitors
Bad idea IMO. HR isn't going to do anything. The people you interviewed with and the people in HR may have friends/acquaintances that work for the competitors. Calling HR and asking about reimbursement after the fact (and after you had already emailed the company) is not a plus. No one can predict the future. 10 years from now you may want to reapply to this company.

I'd let it go and next time ask up front about reimbursement if it's important to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 02:22 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,057,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I'm mostly retired now, but I find some of the W&E threads entertaining because it seems that things have changed so much in the years since my husband and I were interviewing for positions. It definitely seems as though more applicants expect more even from potential employers these days!

Twenty years ago or so, if the potential employer asked for someone to fly out on their initiative (i.e., they sought someone out, and the person didn't apply on his/her own initiative), the company paid for the airfare, but seldom anything else. If someone flew out on his/her own initiative, s/he paid for everything.

(To be clear, though, I am talking about middle-management and highly-skilled technical positions, not a CEO or a very high paying position in which it is difficult to find people who have the necessary skills.)

I also agree with the opinion as to why should any company pay for anything they did not agree to pay for, and especially in the case of expenses for someone they did not hire? I think there might have been some incredulous head-shaking going at the company the OP applied to!
Not at all my experience and I'm in my 50s. When I've traveled for an interview back in the day, it was always been reimbursed, even when it was something I applied for. I even had one place that was only about a 90 minute drive pay for me to stay overnight at a hotel the night before, because they wanted me there first thing in the morning. Reasonably high skilled position but far from a unique set of skills.

These days, I do see more and more ads that say that relocation will not be paid, and I think it's reasonable to assume in those cases that they wouldn't pay for travel either. But that's still not a universal thing, and plenty of people get flown in for interviews - I see that a lot in Denver, where there is a booming economy and lots of employers that want a larger pool of people to draw from.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:42 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,931,951 times
Quote:
I interviewed at a really large, global company. They knew that I was an out of town candidate and I flew there using my own money. In the past 10 years of interviewing, I've NEVER had a company not reimburse for out-of-town interview travels.

Taking time off work for this interview was a big waste of time because I got the feeling that they weren't serious about filling the opening and after the job rejection which came quickly, i emailed the HR person and It's dead silence. Thoughts?
umm... this should have been covered before you interviewed. There's a lot of big, global companies that do not pay travel costs for out of town candidates.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:17 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,657,383 times
Quote:
Why would they not? The candidate had to take a day off work and incur costs to make the interview. Whether the person gets hired or not should make no difference. It's a cost of doing business. I am shocked that a large, global company would try to screw me out of interview reimbursement. I've NEVER had this happen after an out of town interview.
My husband is interviewing with a company that expected him to pay his travel. With him not being an in town candidate they were not going to fly him in.

I have never interviewed with a company that didn't prearrange travel plans. They buy the ticket, book the hotel, etc.

I am surprised you bought your own ticket and expect them to pay for reimbursements.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:53 PM

13 posts, read 14,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
My husband is interviewing with a company that expected him to pay his travel. With him not being an in town candidate they were not going to fly him in.

I have never interviewed with a company that didn't prearrange travel plans. They buy the ticket, book the hotel, etc.

I am surprised you bought your own ticket and expect them to pay for reimbursements.
It is extremely common to pay the interview travel expense yourself and submit it to the firm for reimbursement.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:42 PM
JL

8,514 posts, read 14,472,647 times
It's your fault for not asking about this before the interview. However, if they ignore you, then just post on Linkedin to their company page about it. Make sure others see this, so they don't make the same mistake like you did.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:52 PM

881 posts, read 1,810,679 times
Quote:
It is extremely common to pay the interview travel expense yourself and submit it to the firm for reimbursement.
It is common to reimburse for interview travel, but not if the firm didn't tell you they would reimburse you BEFORE you made travel plans. I have been flown out for multiple interviews before, the companies (very big well known companies) were very clear about what they will reimburse before scheduling of the interview was locked down. Both made all travel arrangements for me, and was reimburse for meals,cabs etc. My previous employers also flew candidates in for interviews, but again, we tell them BEFORE the interview if we will reimburse.

My current company is a small startup, we fly candidates in for interviews, but we are very clear BEFORE the interview what we will reimburse if the interviewee choose to make their own travel arrangement.

You should have asked BEFORE the interview if you will be reimburse for your travel expenses. Expecting them to reimburse you without any confirmation on their part reflects badly on YOU, not the company. I would not complain on the company's linkedin page (as another poster suggested), potential employers can see it, and you will just look like an unprofessional failed candidate.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,895,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
My ex-wife was a Director of Human Resources for many years and I never once heard of someone retroactively requesting interview travel reimbursement AFTER the interview, and especially AFTER they are rejected as a candidate. These things are always offered up front if the position warrants it.

Were you personally contacted by the company due to a referral by a third party and REQUESTED to come for an interview, or did you apply for the position? Did the company somehow compel you to travel for this interview?

I think you are dreaming if you think a company would provide a reimbursement under this situation. If you didn't get it nailed down beforehand it's never going to happen. Sorry.

this right here

It sounds like the position they applied for wasn't an upper level position and they weren't approached, but did a 'cold' apply (applied online) with the hopes of an interview.

Every time my dd was approached by a competitor, with the hopes of luring her away, they always, always paid all of her travel expense..food, hotel, car, flights...you name it, they paid for it.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:37 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,895,618 times
Quote:
No, it's not; not sure where you get that idea from.

It's common practice for the company to do the booking, that way they control the expenses..not you.

Old 03-23-2017, 06:15 AM

6,562 posts, read 11,201,667 times
Quote:
I interviewed at a really large, global company. They knew that I was an out of town candidate and I flew there using my own money. In the past 10 years of interviewing, I've NEVER had a company not reimburse for out-of-town interview travels.

Taking time off work for this interview was a big waste of time because I got the feeling that they weren't serious about filling the opening and after the job rejection which came quickly, i emailed the HR person and It's dead silence. Thoughts?
In my 25 years of interviewing, I've never had to have interview expenses reimbursed. It was always arranged by the interviewer. So obviously it does go both ways.

Quote:
Why would they not? The candidate had to take a day off work and incur costs to make the interview. Whether the person gets hired or not should make no difference. It's a cost of doing business. I am shocked that a large, global company would try to screw me out of interview reimbursement. I've NEVER had this happen after an out of town interview.
That can go both ways. You going for an interview is really no different than a vendor flying out to you to sell their service. Thus - one can argue that this is a cost to YOU doing business. I'm not saying you should expect to pay. But only that there is no blanket rule. I have had candidates fly in on their own (typically because they were already headed this way).

Was this discussed ahead of time? Or did you just expect that because they called you from a different city, they were going to pay the travel costs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment