Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:10 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times

Advertisements

I dont really understand. Your idea of long term planning might be different than mine. I have a masters degree in a growing field, there are jobs everywhere. And sometimes life forces you to change your plans. I may have firmly believed where I would be at 30 when I was 18 years old...but I grew up and realized that sometimes the best laid plans.....well you know the rest, right?

I have lived simply since I graduated from grad school so that I can easily pack up and move - I dont have a lot of furniture or anything to keep me from taking a good opportunity. But, its been a year now and I am getting tired of living the way that I do. I am ready to lay down roots but I want to know my heart is in the decision before I go for it. I could move somewhere for a job, or I could decide where I want to go and base any and all future opportunites off of that decision.

Or I could stay where I am now, lay down roots and just hope the job I have now materializes into something that I feel good about -- Ive been in it for 3 years, and I think its a dead end -- something I will leave on good terms and possibly work with the people in the future, but I feel its certainly time to make a big step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 04:13 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times
ps. it seems that part of my problem making my decision...is that I am interested in Colorado -- where competition for jobs is greater in my field. I'm a little scared to pack up and move there without a job, but I am not ready to give up on the idea either!

Old 03-06-2008, 05:42 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
for some reason I would think competition would be a good thing; it would only make you strive to be the best looking, qualified candidate out there. I would rather be "a little scared" having "lived simply" but able to move THAN be in a situation where you have already planted roots then move...SO you are in a perfect situation....

Old 03-06-2008, 06:23 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontob View Post
If I had to it all over again, I would take the risk, jump ship, etc. If you have the means, do it. Sit down, figure out where you'd like to be, visit that place, and if it goes well, do it.
I will live vicariously (sp) through you...

I'm too old.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
ps. it seems that part of my problem making my decision...is that I am interested in Colorado -- where competition for jobs is greater in my field. I'm a little scared to pack up and move there without a job, but I am not ready to give up on the idea either!

Hey, sounds like MY profession, too.
I already moved once and got let go during my probation period, so I know how scary it is. And now, when I look back, I never lied about my experience level. I think they were trying to get someone really cheap and a coworker was bombing any new person who came in. I found out later, 2 other people had started and either quickly left or got let go too. It amazes me bosses don't see these snipers, or maybe, they don't want to.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:28 AM

947 posts, read 3,572,282 times
I've taken the quiz at ****.com but for me and my job, I go wherever the job takes me.. I don't have the luxury of going where I want then finding a job.

Quote:
I met an older lady last year and had an in depth talk about life. I'm 30 and she was in her 50's. She said the only thing she wished she had done differently is, to decide where she wanted to be and then find out how to get there instead of following where the job/career takes her. She said she has seen it played out in other people to and thinks it is a much better idea to figure out where you want to be and then make it happen.

Her words held a lot of weight with me....maybe too much, cause now I question every opportunity....do I really want to be there? Am I compromising myself?

I really like Colorado and California, most western states actually and have little interest in the east coast or eastern states in general, though I liked living in Florida short term. I am from the midwest and have connections there so I dont really mind it.

I have opportunities all over the country, the latest in Pennsyvlania...a place I never considered but the job looks good. Maybe Id like it and there is a certain charm to going some place you really dont know about and being pleasantly suprised maybe.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do....and friends and coworkers think I sound really dumb when I consider just moving to the place I want to be and then building my life there (maybe saving up and moving without a job -- cause I think its easier to find that job sometimes once you are there).

Any thoughts on this matter? I'm not real close with my family so that is not a big issue, I do have ties to my hometown but I dont know that I NEED to stay there for anything...its more like a place I can come back to later, I think. It is comfortable since its home. I work there now but don't think I make enough $$ for what I do.

Curious about other people and how they approach life.

Old 03-07-2008, 03:04 PM

79 posts, read 377,758 times
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts, I am surprised! It seems like most people around me are saying "its crazy to move without a job" and to some extent I agree....but that is okay!! It kinda makes me feel a little more like I'd be living my life. I'm not crippled, I can do all kinds of work until the right work finds me. Of course I'd prefer something in my field that is perfect right away!

I guess my concern now is they say the economy is slowing down....might be riskier to do this now.

Thanks for the input, looking forward to more replies!
I'm doing the same thing in about 3 weeks and yes I heard all of the comments from friends and former co-workers about how crazy I was for moving without a job. Funny thing was, as soon as I made the decision to move and finally create the life for me that I wanted and deserved, everything has pretty much just fallen into place; which leads me to believe that I am making the right decision. Now I don't expect everything to be a walk in the park but I'd rather spend the time doing something positive for me than to spend the time being "safe" in a job that I hated with no advancement. The time is going to pass anyway, you might as well make the best of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment