Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2017, 08:02 AM

332 posts, read 528,871 times

Advertisements

Hi, my twin brother and I are planning to move from our mother's house in Texas back to New Jersey where we are from around the summertime. I never really had this experience before, but I am trying to see how quickly I can land a job in NJ either before I move back there or not too long after. I know there may be soe difficulty of how to go about it, but how can I ensure this happens quickly so I won't have to waste a lot of money doing this? I hear one of the best ways to look for a job is through Linkedin and I actually have an account there, but are there other methods to go about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 08:23 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
You could plan on going for a week maybe a month or so before you move. Apply away, and schedule interviews during that week.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:40 PM

332 posts, read 528,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
You could plan on going for a week maybe a month or so before you move. Apply away, and schedule interviews during that week.
Thanks, I'll consider that. Anyone else has suggestions?

Old 03-24-2017, 10:02 AM

149 posts, read 226,570 times
I landed a job the way jnojr suggested. Start filling out apps and be honest if you are contacted on them about what your situation is. Have a concrete plan to go visit and be able to share those dates with the potential employer.

This is probably a lot more valid for people further along in their career than I am assuming someone who lives with their mom and is moving with their twin brother is though.

Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,217,411 times
Like ahawes indicated I think it depends on what type of work you are seeking. If you are a professional a headhunter / professional recruiter could help. But if you are in retail or the service industry, etc. that will probably not be an option. If you still have friends in the area of NJ to which you want to move see if they know who is hiring and target those businesses for online applications, etc. See if you can get a cell phone with a local phone number to receive calls. If you have a job now is it with a national company through which you could transfer? I'm assuming not or you would have tried, but I thought I'd throw that out there.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:52 PM

93 posts, read 65,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
Thanks, I'll consider that. Anyone else has suggestions?
If you are sending out resumes or filling out applications I would use a local address (local for that company). A lot of companies will not take you seriously if they see an out of state address. Companies have been burned many times by candidates saying they will relocate and then flake out or get cold feet.

You may want to consider renting a P.O. Box with a New Jersey address or use the address of someone you know in the area (relatives or friends).

As others have said, schedule as many interviews as you can within a single week and plan on being there for an entire week. You never know when interviews will need to be rescheduled and you want to be there in case that happens.

Old 03-26-2017, 12:11 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,234,310 times
I've moved cross-country a few times. Here are a couple techniques I used:

1)target larger companies with multiple offices. They tend to be more flexible/understanding towards people coming from out-of-state because they are used to working with people who are elsewhere. They will be more flexible on scheduling interviews and working with your move schedule. Local/small companies tend to be more fixed on 'needing' people who live close by.

2)If you know anyone in the destination area, use their address on your resume (ask first). I did this on one of my moves. Of course, you have to put your money where your mouth is. I put a cousin's address on my resume and when people called to schedule an interview, I didn't go into some long-winded explanation about how I needed to schedule an interview around travel plans. I just confirmed the interview, and then got off the phone and scrambled to book travel. None of the companies I interviewed with knew I'd come from out of town. I accepted a job, started two weeks later, and they didn't know until afterwards that I had moved cross country in that time. Actually I know someone who used an empty parking lot as an address once....again, they made themselves available for interviews without hesitation, so employers had no idea.

3)State "I will be in town from X/XX to X/XX for interviews" in your cover letter...this only works in a very hot market. Otherwise, employers will look towards local people and/or those with more flexible dates first.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:41 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael212 View Post
Hi, my twin brother and I are planning to move from our mother's house in Texas back to New Jersey where we are from around the summertime. I never really had this experience before, but I am trying to see how quickly I can land a job in NJ either before I move back there or not too long after. I know there may be soe difficulty of how to go about it, but how can I ensure this happens quickly so I won't have to waste a lot of money doing this? I hear one of the best ways to look for a job is through Linkedin and I actually have an account there, but are there other methods to go about this?
Don't move until you have a job lined out. There's not really a cheap way of going about any of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment