Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 05:20 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,073,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
This happens all the time with career changers. It's not a new phenomena. I went through the same thing trying to change from financial operations to financial project management. It took me 10 years to work through that transition.
So what if instead you were laid off from financial operations and you could not get call backs for a year in financial operations so then started trying to work on project management ... all while being unemployed, that's where our nation is heading. there is no safe place to jump too, we are basically becoming second world.

Its one thing if you move around for job fulfillment seamlessly, its quite another thing being forced into changes due to survival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 09:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,418,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
So what if instead you were laid off from financial operations and you could not get call backs for a year in financial operations so then started trying to work on project management ... all while being unemployed, that's where our nation is heading. there is no safe place to jump too, we are basically becoming second world.

Its one thing if you move around for job fulfillment seamlessly, its quite another thing being forced into changes due to survival.
My last two job searches took one year and two years. I've been there. I hear everyone's pain. I'm just not so pessimistic. Life is tough but what alternatives are there? Take it as it comes and keep fighting forward.

There has never been a safe place to jump to. Why do you believe such a thing ever existed? It certainly has never existed for me as a woman, or for others like the handicapped or people of color.

Has it ever occurred to you that your personal reality isn't absolute or universal?

Old 04-07-2017, 09:57 PM

902 posts, read 743,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
My last two job searches took one year and two years. I've been there. I hear everyone's pain. I'm just not so pessimistic. Life is tough but what alternatives are there? Take it as it comes and keep fighting forward.

There has never been a safe place to jump to. Why do you believe such a thing ever existed? It certainly has never existed for me as a woman, or for others like the handicapped or people of color.

Has it ever occurred to you that your personal reality isn't absolute or universal?
Sooo many people romanticize the past, thinking there was a safety net and everyone's lives were on easy street. But, the reality was much darker. People today expect not to fight and that everything is supposed to never change and be easy.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:13 PM

1,884 posts, read 988,810 times
Who cares about the past? The whole point is, we might need a new paradigm for society to evolve/not devolve.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:35 PM

126 posts, read 124,493 times
Americans need to start standing up for themselves, instead of cowering in the fetal position weeping at their powerlessness to employers. Things are only going to get worse, and they're pretty bad now already.

What's it going to take for employees to take their power back? Americans seem to have a high tolerance for being treated like subjugated worms who aren't much better off than indentured servants in the past.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:20 AM

421 posts, read 203,625 times
I hear there's a similar trend over in Europe, PARTICULARLY in places like Greece. You see, I have HBO included free/complimentary as part of my simple internet-only package. Recently watched an episode of VICE news and they *just* so happened to do a segment on this very same topic

I watched it and thought to myself "gee, this looks awfully familiar" The segment in question had the news anchor walking around Greece interviewing young people fresh out of college regarding the dismal employment prospects and the struggle to find even menial/low-pay jobs. Their main interviewee, a young woman in her late 20's, had advanced degrees and spoke FOUR different languages.... yet she was unable to find work in her field of study and still lives with her parents, while working some min wage poverty job

As an aside, while I was watching this I couldn't help but notice just how attractive this young lady was - she is EASILY a 9/10 by American standards I couldn't help but think to myself "if she simply moved to a country like USA or Canada *gauranteed* some rich/upper class guy would snatch her up instantly" It really blows my mind seeing something like that: a 9/10 that is not only educated but also speaks 4 different languages.... but lives in poverty, that's really "something else"

Old 04-08-2017, 12:23 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,899,555 times
Jobs are their for the skilled/experience person. Like somebody said, we demand too much for our work. Heck it is always best to start high and work your way down. But doing so you risk out getting your foot in the door. Another issue is the experience. How can one gain it, when you refuse to hire them. Internship is nice, but not every school can offer this or has the ability to do so. If we stop bring people in from over seas, and newbies take the low pay to gain the experience, than we might get somewhere. Just got to get them to accept it.. thats the first step. Rest will follow through. Parents need to learn to stop thinking their kid who in college can land that 100k job out of the gate. It wont and will not happen.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:51 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,631,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Jobs are their for the skilled/experience person. Like somebody said, we demand too much for our work. Heck it is always best to start high and work your way down. But doing so you risk out getting your foot in the door. Another issue is the experience. How can one gain it, when you refuse to hire them. Internship is nice, but not every school can offer this or has the ability to do so. If we stop bring people in from over seas, and newbies take the low pay to gain the experience, than we might get somewhere. Just got to get them to accept it.. thats the first step. Rest will follow through. Parents need to learn to stop thinking their kid who in college can land that 100k job out of the gate. It wont and will not happen.

Do people really think this? Or even the students?

I started my career six years ago making $40K. I was so happy and realized that it was a starting point for later growth. I find it hard that a REASONABLE and INTELLIGENT human can't also realize that.

...of course, plenty of studies show that americans are delusional in how they perceive themselves. They think they're smarter, healthier, better drivers, better looking, etc than they really are. So who knows.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:14 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,480,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Do people really think this? Or even the students?

I started my career six years ago making $40K. I was so happy and realized that it was a starting point for later growth. I find it hard that a REASONABLE and INTELLIGENT human can't also realize that.

...of course, plenty of studies show that americans are delusional in how they perceive themselves. They think they're smarter, healthier, better drivers, better looking, etc than they really are. So who knows.
they thought they could take $40k+ in loans for college and come out 4 years later with a job while they didn't put in any effort in the prior 4 years into searching for a job, all they did was do homework and make it an adult extension of high school. Employers do not care you can turn in homework, that you played sports, etc. They are 22+ year old adults, and most of them can't balance a checkbook, can't cook a meal without a microwave, can't put together a concrete actionable plan.

yes they are delusional

and on top of that, they look down on entry level work as beneath them, so they won't even take the jobs they are offered to them without grumbling and moaning that they are better than that.

for all the team sports/participation events, people don't know how to actually work together, they think about me and it stops at you, they won't go out of their way to put an effort into connecting with other people

Old 04-08-2017, 11:37 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,723,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
That is really hard for me to grasp. 250$ is not very much money.
That's because you make more money. Foe a minimum wage worker that is a week's worth of wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment