Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 03:21 AM

745 posts, read 479,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
In addition to vacation time, they have national health care, childcare, more time to spend with their families. I don't see why the system encouraging a healthier, more social and more varied lifestyle is a bad thing.

I would prefer the European model. All our system produces is a bunch of stressed out workaholics who want more 'things.' We can't afford our health care, family life sure doesn't appear to be too great, kids grow up on video screens, needing better phones, better cars and many hardly see their parents. If there were a lot of happy people in our country, I don't think we'd see the reliance on pharmaceutical prescriptions of all kinds, in addition to massive addiction issues. We are forced into a workaholic less mentally healthy and less physically healthy lifestyle, and our system benefits the wealthiest (who did not necessarily do anything to attain that wealth), i.e., the Martin Shrkeli types, investment bankers, etc., to the detriment of the less wealthy.
The main issues is that nobody is forcing anyone to have all these "things". Yes, I get there is social pressure to want them, but people ultimately make decisions for themselves and their kids.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:20 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,479 times
Capitalism and our history of exploiting workers well nuff said

Old 03-28-2017, 05:39 AM

108 posts, read 120,821 times
As a European, living in Europe and about to move over to the US, I want to mention that an economic forum did some research on the actual taxes paid, we're talking income tax, marginal tax plus VAT's.
Sweden topped it, with 75% total tax for a high earner. The average in Europe lies around 35-45% in total. US just under 30% I believe.

Who is prepared to give 75% of their hardworked money, to others?

I work fulltime as a Controller for a very good company. Netting say $2500/month, then you can have a couple making about the same, with no education and barely working 40 hours a week in total, and they will net $2000/month, thanks to welfare and all other nonsense hardworkers have to pay in.
So where is the incentive to study at Uni? Why should I work hard when I could enjoy the benefits and spend time at home?
Is this fair you think?

I know America is not great, neither is Europe.
But I would like to keep the majority of my hardearned money and spend it on whatever I choose, rather than being forced to give it to slackers who doesn't want to contribute to society.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:17 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staphangel View Post
In Europe employees get vacation time, leave and all sorts of amazing benefits that Americans don't. Why does America suck so much?
Because you vote Republican and don't hold those Democrats who are in Congress accountable to you.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 03-28-2017 at 06:38 AM..

Old 03-28-2017, 06:29 AM

Default No one says "I should have spent more time in the office" on their death bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
why does Europe have a higher unemployment rate? oh, they don't want to work?

for same job, they tend to get paid less as well
Germany has 20 days vacation plus holidays with a 3.8% unemployment rate. Please explain.
No one says "I should have spent more time in the office" on their death bed.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
In addition to vacation time, they have national health care, childcare, more time to spend with their families. I don't see why the system encouraging a healthier, more social and more varied lifestyle is a bad thing.

I would prefer the European model. All our system produces is a bunch of stressed out workaholics who want more 'things.' We can't afford our health care, family life sure doesn't appear to be too great, kids grow up on video screens, needing better phones, better cars and many hardly see their parents. If there were a lot of happy people in our country, I don't think we'd see the reliance on pharmaceutical prescriptions of all kinds, in addition to massive addiction issues. We are forced into a workaholic less mentally healthy and less physically healthy lifestyle, and our system benefits the wealthiest (who did not necessarily do anything to attain that wealth), i.e., the Martin Shrkeli types, investment bankers, etc., to the detriment of the less wealthy.
Well said. I can recall two recent news reports on how American companies are now trying to deal with worker burn out.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The "average" of Bill Gates and Joe Sixpack is millions of dollars per month in income for the two of them. To neither factor in inequality nor the fact that Americans on average work 500 hours more per year is very deceptive.
500 hours a year more? This is the second time....why are people just pulling these silly numbers out of there ass?

OECD statistics once again:

https://stats.oecd.org/Index.aspx?DataSetCode=ANHRS

US indeed works more hours and these are some big numbers but nothing like 500 hours. 140 more than UK, about 300 more than France, about 90 more than Canada. We are about on par or less than the Eastern European countries and, suprisingly, less than some of the central American countries. And be lucky you guys don't work in Korea. Compared to the global average, we work 24 hours over.
Another interesting fact is that the overall trend for US workers, with some slight shifts up and down, is to work less hours (compare 2000 to 2015).

Old 03-28-2017, 06:56 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,443,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You should open your own business and give your employees all the amazing benefits you think those in Europe have. Let us know in 6 months how profitable your business is with your employees gone all the time taking advantage of all the amazing benefits.
Great idea!!!
OP lead by example!

Old 03-28-2017, 07:07 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I actually don't think it's that bad in the US as it once was. The nice thing is you have options and tech companies, especially the newer ones are being very generous with what they are offering.

For example, the company I work for now and I am brand new I get 20 days of vacation a year. The company prior to that I got 16 days. Company before that was 20 days, and prior to that company was 27 days a year. All of these are right off the bat as new employees.

I have also interviewed in SEVERAL places where it's unlimited vacation time. I have also interviewed in places where they only offer 10 vacation days per year.

I think it gives a company a competitive advantage really, and it's nice that you can have options. Of course in a perfect world the unlimited vacation days would be a dream.

Also, while I make a solid salary ($73k per year) even with 20 days of vacation per year, I don't make enough to utilize ALL 20 of those vacation days for vacation. Probably 1/4 of them would be used as staycation and 3/4 to travel.

Honestly I belive I am more liberal/progressive, but I think it should be a company deciding how many vacation days it offers. There are certain companies where offering unlimited vacation days doesn't hurt them, and certain company's where if they offer too much it would. So i think it boils down to the type of company, industry and what is feasable for them.
Yes, I've seen postings on other forums about employees being offered generous paid time off just as you describe above. Seems to have exploded in recent years, although I have not personally encountered anyone who is so privileged. I've even heard of employers who are open to negotiation of paid time off. You come from an employer who provided 20 days paid time off, but your current prospect only offers 10 days after the first year? Negotiate for 20 days (or more)!

Personally, I would be cautious about approaching a prospective employer with a request for more than their standard allocation of paid days off. It could sent the wrong message. Best to have confirmation beforehand that they are open to negotiation of time off.

Still, it's quite apparent that things are changing for the better, at least for some.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:28 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,249,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seww6 View Post
As a European, living in Europe and about to move over to the US, I want to mention that an economic forum did some research on the actual taxes paid, we're talking income tax, marginal tax plus VAT's.
Sweden topped it, with 75% total tax for a high earner. The average in Europe lies around 35-45% in total. US just under 30% I believe.

Who is prepared to give 75% of their hardworked money, to others?

I work fulltime as a Controller for a very good company. Netting say $2500/month, then you can have a couple making about the same, with no education and barely working 40 hours a week in total, and they will net $2000/month, thanks to welfare and all other nonsense hardworkers have to pay in.
So where is the incentive to study at Uni? Why should I work hard when I could enjoy the benefits and spend time at home?
Is this fair you think?

I know America is not great, neither is Europe.
But I would like to keep the majority of my hardearned money and spend it on whatever I choose, rather than being forced to give it to slackers who doesn't want to contribute to society.
I would like to keep the majority of my hard earned money as well, but last year 25% of my income went to health insurance premiums, medical and dental. We don't receive any subsidies and make a decent amount of income. US health care issues may be equal to your tax issues.

Just curious, but will you be receiving health insurance through your employer? If not, are you prepared to pay the exorbitant cost of health insurance or health care in the US, or will you return home for medical issues? Many Brits and Europeans I know do return home for visits if they need health care, vision or dentistry (dental is rarely covered by any real insurance here, and it costs a fortune).

Doesn't help much with accidents, but it sure cuts down on their health bills, which is a massive issue in the US. Though I know one British man without US health insurance who was bitten by a brown recluse spider, needing immediate treatment, who was presented with a bill of $80,000 from the hospital for being treated. Bit of a shock to the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment