Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 11:31 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times

Advertisements

As the post implies; i have an old friend who is in need of some employment advice and does not frequent forums like this. Personally, i have never been in said situation, so i am not much help but thought there are some here that have necessary knowledge.

Background:
Friend worked in IT (help desk and desktop support) for 6 years; and after an out of state relocation, and from the option of his spouses employment, he chose to not work for almost 18 months. He pursued other hobbies and such at this time.

He decided to actively look for work around the 1 year mark of being unemployed, and wasn't having much luck. I said this was due largely (IMO) to him being out of work for so long. He lowered his standards a bit, and found a position nearby his home and has been working there for roughly 2 months.

Here's his problem - the company pretty much sucks. He used to work in big healthcare doing IT, which of course meant great benefits (healthcare, PTO, pension, etc). New company offers a livable wage, but next to non existent healthcare (very expensive) and no PTO for 90 days and no other meaningful benefits; then accrues less than 10 days a year.

So he pretty much wants to get out of this position; but knows he will be questioned after a long unemployment and then a brief stint at a new employer.

Question:
What's the best way to apply for other jobs?

I had suggested to wait minimum of 90 days; but 6 months seemed more likely to be palatable by another potential employer.

What do you all think- any advice?

thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 11:43 AM

901 posts, read 747,412 times
Have him stick it out while actively looking. The gap doesn't really matter anymore since he is employed. Setup a LinkedIn profile and see if any recruiters reach out and see what is offered. As long as he doesn't quit without something else lined up he should be fine.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:09 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times
There are two fundamental challenges, the first one being the long gap, the second being the new employer issue.

First, his initial workplace experience sounds very strong and reliable. He picked up essential skills and experience, and of course excelled in his role. Then he made the choice to take a career break to spend time with his family, travel, and simply enjoy life.

Then, he has tried on his new employer for size, and after his provisional term of employment, has come to the understanding that they do not offer the challenge he requires. Now he seeks to perform (X role in X role) because (sell the reasons)

For both, feel free to go on the offensive. Just state that it was a break from working. (Human beings are not machines and adults are allowed to have choices.) The new employer does not offer enough challenge, its consistency and tasks are lacking, and they see little future there when they feel capable of doing so much more.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:34 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
I'd suggest 6 months at the very least. Then he can start applying....

Old 03-28-2017, 04:10 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
Thanks for the responses

His new job does have some good things going for it; he works really close to his home (basically no commute) and has no on-site supervisor, and a variety of tasks (some new so he'll have extra for his resume). I think it's just been a big shock for him on working for a big non-profit hospital system to a smaller outpatient facility that's still figuring things out.

I'll tell him to keep sticking it out- i think the complaints (like vacation) are valid, but things could be worse..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment