U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 08:36 AM

33 posts, read 34,194 times

Advertisements

Trying to decide if i want to go the school counselor route or find a job working in a children's hospital either as a medical coder or a social worker.

Pros and cons to each

I know they are very different. Both have good and bad things about them. I am looking at wanting to love what i do, make a decent income etc. Still unsure of what i want to do in life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 08:44 AM

33,901 posts, read 42,143,850 times
In a hospital you might be eligible for overtime, in a school you wouldn't.

Be aware that school Counseling is now about 90% putting out fires, 9% filing paperwork, and 1% actually assisting kids with their life plans (school, work, etc.).

I wasn't a Counselor but taught 30+ years and witnessed the change.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:49 AM

Thank you for the quick response! What exactly do you mean by putting out fires? I know from some they have not much time with the students and scheduling is a main task.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:54 AM

33,901 posts, read 42,143,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorkernomore View Post
Thank you for the quick response! What exactly do you mean by putting out fires? I know from some they have not much time with the students and scheduling is a main task.

It's going to vary by the school system itself how much time you spend on schedules. That's now done in many cases in a group setting and not one on one.

Fires:
Various IEP and 504 compliance issues.
Drug and alcohol abuse.
Various other self-destructive behaviors (cutting, etc.).
Interventions with parents.
Child abuse, sexual, physical, emotional.
Carrying out various system initiatives that have only a scintilla of relevance to your job.
Running interference for Administrators who don't know their heads from holes in the ground.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:57 AM

106 posts, read 66,845 times
I guess it depends on what a decent income is to you. I have a degree in social work and I can attest that a decent income in this field is very rare. Medical social workers make one of highest salaries but they require an expertise in an area that most social workers don't have. You'll need a masters degree, a professional license, and most hospitals will prefer or expect prior medical experience.

My opinion may be biased because I'm working on a career change but social work isn't all that it's cracked up to be. There are too many hoops to jump through, too many grey areas, a lack of tangible evidence in theories and practices, and it's really hard to have a personal life. It's emotionally overwhelming and unlike other jobs, you can't come home and vent to your spouse or friends because of strict confidentiality laws. Social work has the highest burnout rate because of the emotional stress that workers are placed through. A lot of people become inspired by past trauma or their own mental health issues to enter the field and it often backfires on them.

Of course there are positives to the field and if you're a mentally healthy person with a strong sense of moral values, it could be a good fit for you.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:58 AM

Thank you for your help!

Old 03-29-2017, 09:03 AM

Thank you for your great answer! I have heard from many that social work has a huge burn out rate. It all comes down to i am unsure of what it is exactly i want to do in life. I want to work with kids, adolescents specifically and it appeals to me in a hospital setting and a school setting. I am not good at being super hands on so that is why i have considered medical coding because it is in the environment but behind the scenes more or less. I know working in a school definitely has its challenges but there are definite benefits to it as well when it comes to the hours, vacations, retirement, etc. Idk! I wish someone can choose for me!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or