Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 06:31 AM

179 posts, read 155,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
No one likes aggressive-aggressives in the American workplace. Too icky. Now go buy that candy store and get cracking!
But I don't like hard candy or peanut brittle! Can I get smooshing with soft chocolate? Or is that an attitude problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 06:43 AM

486 posts, read 992,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
But I don't like hard candy or peanut brittle! Can I get smooshing with soft chocolate? Or is that an attitude problem?
Make sure you get the diabetic-friendly sugar-free chocolate. It is the American workplace.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:43 AM

9,385 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamDot View Post
I'm talking about telecommuting, which I know is a sore, sore, subject in America. Probably 50% of all OFFICE jobs can be done by telecommuting, including mine. It's time bosses take this seriously and if an employee requests such, start thinking about it instead of rejecting it out of hand. You'd be surprised at how many companies lose good employees becayuse they have nothing to do all day and the boss doesn't care as long as that employee show up. Well, good employees don't want to atrophy just showing up so they quit. Happens more than you think it does. What I'm saying is that maybe this problem could be solved by telecommuting.

But I know this a subject most people can't handle. We've only been talking about telecommuting since the 90's. I guess we need to give it 100 more years before it's taken seriously.
Oh I'm all for telecommuting. Been doing it myself for 10 years now and I am a very big proponent of it for most jobs. But I've also found that for whatever reason some people are opposed to it and no matter how you reason with them it's like talking to a wall.

Your best bet is to put numbers behind it - you will save $XXXX per year by allowing me to work from home. A lot of people only focus on the bottom line.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:49 AM

6,750 posts, read 3,365,850 times
I would be cautious about saying you don't have enough work. Just let your boss know you're available and leave it at that. I would also attend meetings and do whatever you have to do to get some exposure. You might get more work if more people know who you are. Maybe take some training to expand your skills into other areas.

As for telecommuting, I did that for seven years while at a large consulting company. Three days at home and two in the office. It was nice at times, but it can make you feel a little disconnected from the company.

Incidentally, telecommuting is becoming less popular in some companies. They have found out that while they might save on office space, in some cases production goes way down. That happened where I worked and some big companies have eliminated it altogether.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:42 AM

569 posts, read 1,058,515 times
Quote:
There is no such thing a telecommuting in America. That is a fantasy they show on TV. I have never met a telecommuter in my 33 years of working in many industries. But you can give it
I hope that was sarcastic... I've been telecommuting 100% for the last 3 years and was about 25-50% for several years before that. Certain industries and jobs are more open to the idea of telecommuting though. I'm a software developer for a software and consulting company.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsamon View Post
I hope that was sarcastic... I've been telecommuting 100% for the last 3 years and was about 25-50% for several years before that. Certain industries and jobs are more open to the idea of telecommuting though. I'm a software developer for a software and consulting company.

Hook me up, man! Full-time telecommuting is my dream. Seriously. I love to work, but I hate to drive.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:55 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
There is no such thing a telecommuting in America. That is a fantasy they show on TV. I have never met a telecommuter in my 33 years of working in many industries. But you can give it your best try!

BTW, lose the "attitude" (typical CDers response to posters they don't like) - just kidding!
I can't tell if you are being facetious or not.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:16 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,816,495 times
If you go in and tell them you don't have enough work to do, wouldn't it make far more sense for the company to reduce you to part-time instead of allowing you to telecommute, where they'd essentially be paying you to watch TV or catch a movie mid-day?

Also, if you're the only one telecommuting at an office, you'll definitely be the first one fired when they're looking to trim the fat. There will be people who don't know you, you'll be easily forgotten, it will seem like you're not a team player because you're not actually present, etc (out-of-sight-out-of-mind, basically).

I think more companies should allow telecommuting, but there are also downsides to it. I used to work with a lady who telecommuted - she lived in a really windy area of Wyoming where her power would often go out, so on a regular basis, during business hours, she physically couldn't do her job (which required internet connectivity). The only reason why she kept her job was because her boss (who didn't telecommute) was also her friend.

I am able to work from home sometimes, but I know when I'm there that I ultimately do less than when I'm in the office - not because of my work ethic, but because of the out-of-sight-out-of-mind thing. At home, I still sit in front of my computer for 8 hours, same as I do at work, but because I'm not physically at work, my co-workers are more likely to forget that they can utilize me. I know if I only telecommuted, I'd eventually be let go for reasons I stated in my second paragraph.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:14 AM

522 posts, read 342,992 times
Quote:
BTW, lose the "attitude" (typical CDers response to posters they don't like) - just kidding!
LOL....good one.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,305,577 times
So you're paid to sit at a desk all day and surf the web? Socialize with co-workers half the time? Sounds pretty decent to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment