Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 07:57 PM

179 posts, read 155,894 times

Advertisements

Ok. It's going on three months in my new job and still I have very little to do. I have small tasks here and there that can be done in a few hours or at most a day or two and then I'm done and have to beg my boss to give me more work to do. The way my job supposedly is set up I have no daily tasks that require me to interact with anyone else at the company. My phone has not rung once from any other employee at the company looking for me to do anything or requiring anything from me (this is a 6000 person business site). I really have no need to attend any meetings because there is nothing anyone needs me to work on or do. I only write up procedures and policies that are basically generic to any business and do not require me to access any information or files located on site.

So why do I have to sit in my seat to do my job? Why am I there? The only person I interact with is my boss, and that is only when I'm asking for him to give me something to do. Otherwise I do my small tasks on my own, via the computer using generic Internet sites for reference, typing up policies on Word on the computer and emailing the results to my boss.

Now, tell me why my job couldn't be done off-site? There are absolutely no reasons why I need to live in a state I really don't want to live in (and can't really afford to anyways) when I could live cheaper somewhere else and still do my job via telecommuting with no problems.

Well.... what do you think will be my boss' response when I bring up the idea of telecommuting? Do you think he will be all progressive and open to that idea? Do you think he will see the benefit of not having to deal with my constant badgering of him for more work in person? Do you think he will realize this job is really a non-job and that it can be done long-distance?

I'll answer for ya - Heck no! He will shake his head and say it can't be done. Well, this time I want reasons why it can't be done. Reasons that make sense, and not just the standard "well we just don't do that here." I'm even willing to take a pay cut (and he always complains about needing to cut overhead), or work as an independent contractor (which is even cheaper for them). But no, it'll all be in vain because for some reason we still live in 1967 and must sit in our seats filing paper and taking shorthand because we've never heard of computers, email, skype, and all the technology that has been created to make telecommuting possible. They don't care what you do AT YOUR JOB, just as long as you're AT YOUR JOB doing nothing. Yup. I'll let you know what my boss says, because I'm sure he'll surprise me with his openness at the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 08:53 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
The Giants still lose to the Little League team if they don't bother to show up.

Personally I'd change the attitude and use the extra time to get to know the rest of the organization. If you are the "cut" hire, then you're the position added that's not needed in case it comes down the pike that cuts have to be made. Having a cut person at the ready means that you can do your part without sacrificing the team.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
The Giants still lose to the Little League team if they don't bother to show up.

Personally I'd change the attitude and use the extra time to get to know the rest of the organization.
Yeah... The Giants actually have to hit the ball physically in that arena. But then again fantasy sports may make that even unnecessary, so technically the Giants could even telecommute and beat the little league team without showing up.

As for my attitude - yeah. I'm not losing it. There should be a job here when they hired me - their fault, not mine. I realize the situation and am trying to find a solution that will keep the paychecks coming in until I find another job. That's my attitude and I'm sticking with it.

As for the rest of the organization, yeah... I've already got to know them. Actually I shoot the breeze with my coworkers at least 50% of my day. We never talk about work, just personal stuff. There's no need to talk about work, my job has no interaction with anyone else. So I waste 50% of my day socializing. Oh well, as long as I show up I suppose - I WIN!

Old 03-31-2017, 06:13 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
That's the spirit, go into your boss's office and DEMAND to work from home. If he resists, get very aggressive towards him and tell him you have nothing to do all day and you'd rather spend your time doing nothing at home watching TV or playing video games. This will surely get you exactly what you want.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:18 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
If they truly did hire too many people, you're best off looking for another job where you'll be more utilized. It doesn't sound like this position will work long term.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:26 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
That's the spirit, go into your boss's office and DEMAND to work from home. If he resists, get very aggressive towards him and tell him you have nothing to do all day and you'd rather spend your time doing nothing at home watching TV or playing video games. This will surely get you exactly what you want.
This sounds perfect!

Until you own the candy store.. you have to play by the rules given.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:27 AM

486 posts, read 992,342 times
There is no such thing a telecommuting in America. That is a fantasy they show on TV. I have never met a telecommuter in my 33 years of working in many industries. But you can give it your best try!

BTW, lose the "attitude" (typical CDers response to posters they don't like) - just kidding!

Old 03-31-2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I'm talking about telecommuting, which I know is a sore, sore, subject in America. Probably 50% of all OFFICE jobs can be done by telecommuting, including mine. It's time bosses take this seriously and if an employee requests such, start thinking about it instead of rejecting it out of hand. You'd be surprised at how many companies lose good employees becayuse they have nothing to do all day and the boss doesn't care as long as that employee show up. Well, good employees don't want to atrophy just showing up so they quit. Happens more than you think it does. What I'm saying is that maybe this problem could be solved by telecommuting.

But I know this a subject most people can't handle. We've only been talking about telecommuting since the 90's. I guess we need to give it 100 more years before it's taken seriously.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:29 AM

486 posts, read 992,342 times
No one likes aggressive-aggressives in the American workplace. Too icky. Now go buy that candy store and get cracking!

Old 03-31-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post

BTW, lose the "attitude" (typical CDers response to posters they don't like) - just kidding!
I'm not kidding. I say "lose the attitude" to those "lose the attitude" posters. Funny how people who say that don't see the attitude they have in saying that in the first place. Humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment