Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 02:02 PM

5,016 posts, read 7,419,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
They don't care about retention, quality, worker engagement. As long as they can place a body that is just barely competent enough not to get fired immediately and can charge a huge markup they have accomplished their goal.
If they want to keep their clients they certainly care very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 02:12 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,382,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
If they want to keep their clients they certainly care very much.
They aren't that far sighted and obviously neither are their clients as it [temping] is a crappy way to attract and retain talent.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:19 PM

5,768 posts, read 3,209,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I was never clear on the role of recruiters. I've been contacted by recruiters in the past-- they collected my information, and I never heard from them again.
I recently received an email from a recruiter representing a company I would like to work for . Are you supposed to ignore all of them, or try to verify whether they're credible?
Be careful who you contact. Back in the hey day of the COBOL programmer there was one company that was infamous for calling the next sequential number on your floor and tell the guy in the next cubicle that tell Joe Programmer that John from Staffing International (not their real name) is returning his call.

Staffing companies are there to lower your expectations as far as salaries are concerned. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny how far away the staffing companies would send you for jobs.

Staffing companies are few and far between in America because of all of the recruiting offices that American companies have in Bangalore.

Even back in the eighties positions that were hard to fill meant that the boss was a nightmare.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:23 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,458,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I was never clear on the role of recruiters. I've been contacted by recruiters in the past-- they collected my information, and I never heard from them again.
I recently received an email from a recruiter representing a company I would like to work for . Are you supposed to ignore all of them, or try to verify whether they're credible?
NOTE that this is for office jobs. I don't have much experience with labor, blue collar, lab work, etc.

"Recruiter" is such an imprecise term. There are "internal recruiters" that work for the company they're trying to fill positions for. For example, somebody from Lockheed Martin calls you b/c your systems engineering back would be a good fit for a position at their company. This recruiter will be able to tell where he got your resume from, and also, that your resume says you're looking for something like a systems engineering position. They'll also tell you where your office will be, and if salary's concern on either side (let them bring it up), you can fire off a range. She'll get your availability for a phone screening, or if that was the phone screening, a phone interview. These types are nice because they don't BS around. Since they work directly for the company, they're already salaried. If you get hired, they won't take a cut of your pay because there's no middleman. Then you go through the usual process here...
--1st round phone interview
--perhaps another round
--Perhaps they'll fly you in for an in-person interview (I had a legit position NOT fly me in since they wanted to save money. I ended up getting an official job offer with salary, position, who I'll report to, and where, so even though it was unconventional, it worked out)
--at some point later on, they'll ask for professional references
--if they like you, they'll send you an offer via writing.

Then there are "external recruiters" or "staffing agencies". These guys' main jobs are to fill positions for other companies. Some awful ones include but aren't limited Jobspring Partners, Workbridge Associates, and Aerotek. The people I've encountered didn't really appear to be anything professional. They're young, and look like they just got out of college, couldn't find a more desirable job, and decided to do this "sales position" as a means to make more money until something better comes along.

With the former 2, they ask you to have professional references available. I go into their office, they read off some cookie cutter template speech, take my references, talk some mumbo jumbo about what sort of job you'd like, blah blah blah. Ever have a bad date, and your bad date ends it with "I had fun, let's do this again sometime", but in your heart, you know that s/he's just being polite and you won't see this person again? That's the vibe I gotten with these guys and others like them. So why go through all that trouble?
--they want to collect resumes to pad their data bases
They often lure you in with the pretense that something will be avialbale, but when you ask about it, they'll say something like "it just got filled".
Somebody here on C-D did wise up to these guys. He came in, expecting an interview with the hiring company, and was told the interviewer couldn't make it, but to fill out a bunch of forms in the meantime. "When will he be in?". Tomorrow they replied. "Then I'll be in tomorrow". .... there's not anybody coming in to conduct an interview

--the professional references
They use this as leads to search for candidates and what positions needed to be filled. I had confirmation of this when my former supervisor congratulated me, saying somebody from recruiting company X said they wanted info about me. I was confused, as I told them I didn't even go through a single interview. "they why did they call?". It turns out, they also asked him if he needed any positions filled, that they have many qualified candidates.... it was a waste of time on both our parts.

--low pay
The poster who posted the $16 an hour, whereas the same one paid $25 in another case? They pocket that extra money as the middle man.

Another user on C-D shared that as a warehouse worker, he only got $10/hr, but his fellow workers got $20 plus benefits! He quit. He was living with his parents, so he could've afforded to luckily.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:02 PM

5,016 posts, read 7,419,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
They aren't that far sighted and obviously neither are their clients as it [temping] is a crappy way to attract and retain talent.
No idea what your experience is with it but it's "try it before you buy it" and it's getting more and more popular.
Many companies will only bring employees on temp to hire.
With so many lazy self entitled workers out there... it saves companies a lot of time and money to be able to quickly weed through those who interview well but don't bring much to the table as far as actually working.
But good luck to you!

Old 04-04-2017, 01:54 PM

155 posts, read 123,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post

--low pay
The poster who posted the $16 an hour, whereas the same one paid $25 in another case? They pocket that extra money as the middle man.

See I knew it!!! It was actually the same recruiter/agency who posted up to $18 an hour than about month later posted the exact same job for up to $25 an hour. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:04 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,458,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
No idea what your experience is with it but it's "try it before you buy it" and it's getting more and more popular.
Many companies will only bring employees on temp to hire.
With so many lazy self entitled workers out there... it saves companies a lot of time and money to be able to quickly weed through those who interview well but don't bring much to the table as far as actually working.
But good luck to you!
Reminds me of how many people on C-D decry salary in favor of hourly since the former is rife with abuse for unpaid overtime. I will say that my salaried positions have been overall good in that regard, and working OT (unpaid at that) has been the exception, not the norm.

Here, I'm sure there are some decent temp-to-hire positions, but it just seems like tool for employers to hire someone temporarily, then can him before he can be brought on as an actual employee with benefits and the usual salary otherwise. If you've got nothing else going on, then go for it. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to be that much better than FF, MW, or retail, in which case, I don't think it's entitled at all that one sets higher standards and find anything else that's better.

And there have been complaints how the people that are brought in were subpar to begin with... only really worth paying the recruiting fees if the candidate was phenomenal, but those candidates usually won't have any difficulty finding work on their own anyways. Recruiters for the actual companies end up having to do their own work, of which I'd advise those looking for work to do the same thing. These guys really should be bottom of the barrel in terms of your options.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:11 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,241,603 times
A lot of them just suck. Some who actual work for the company are ok. At least they have jobs.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:56 AM

1,020 posts, read 805,291 times
A lot of what is being called a "recruiter" in this thread, is not at all what I consider a recruiter.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:47 AM

8,091 posts, read 3,417,773 times
I recently applied for spot at Meijer and they sold my info to some kind of recruiters that keep spamming my inbox with the same jobs I'm either unqualified for (health care) or stuff I've already been rejected for. So, Meijer rejected me yet again and sold my info so I could be spammed with worthless garbage. I don't think the recruiters are legitimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment