Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:40 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,786,956 times

Advertisements

CD is weird.

You guys complain about nepotism,yet you guys also complain about this?

A referral does not mean said candidate does not need to fill out an application.
That has never worked like that for me anyway;I still needed to go through all the channels of applying anyway.

I myself never liked Linked-IN anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 08:20 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,124,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Many a times I have referred my friends for an opening at my work place. But recently since last few months, I have been contacted by many unknown people (some of them were students about to graduate this summer) on LinkedIn asking me to refer them at my workplace. I do feel like helping someone to find a job, but am not sure about referring an unknown person.

Would you refer an unknown person at work? Am not sure if I refer them and then company holds me liable if at all something happens with that candidate in future. Not sure how referral process works in the back.
No. References by their very nature are a statement that you know this person either professionally or personally and that you are vouching for them.

I would never vouch for someone that I didn't know.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,243,311 times
It is called networking. I don't have a problem with it. There is a way to do it though.

With some disciplines within my field it can mean extra cash for the person that referred them. Why would I say no to that?

Then again realize that the only people that they are paying the cash for are people that are licensed to do a specific task.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:51 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,538,935 times
Recommending someone you don't know is utter nonsense. If someone who does know them won't even recommend them, why should you?

Old 04-03-2017, 12:18 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
Eh, I get tons of Linked In spam, and someone told me that LI hijacks email address books and spams everyone on your list.. I just ignore everything from LI. I'm not on it, would never be on it and a few people I've gotten stuff from, I'm pretty sure they aren't on it either....

Old 04-03-2017, 01:54 PM

13,262 posts, read 7,963,268 times
I guess all companies are different, but frankly, if it's for a large organization or corporation...you're just a cog in a big wheel.

Your referrals would only be a PART of the whole hiring process. You are only helping them get a foot in the door for an interview. You will be no more responsible for hiring a bad fit, than the H.R. team, and whatever managers will be interviewing.

At the international company I work for...we give money to people who give us referrals...if that candidate gets hired. There are multiple hoops a candidate jumps through.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do it...but this isn't going to reflect your reputation that much, if at all.

Old 04-03-2017, 03:43 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,014,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
Many a times I have referred my friends for an opening at my work place. But recently since last few months, I have been contacted by many unknown people (some of them were students about to graduate this summer) on LinkedIn asking me to refer them at my workplace. I do feel like helping someone to find a job, but am not sure about referring an unknown person.

Would you refer an unknown person at work? Am not sure if I refer them and then company holds me liable if at all something happens with that candidate in future. Not sure how referral process works in the back.
Just point them to the careers site of your company and ask them to apply. You dont have to refer them, but you are not driving them away either.

Old 04-03-2017, 08:31 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,491,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
It is called networking. I don't have a problem with it. There is a way to do it though.

With some disciplines within my field it can mean extra cash for the person that referred them. Why would I say no to that?

Then again realize that the only people that they are paying the cash for are people that are licensed to do a specific task.
Referring someone and networking are not the same thing in my mind. Referring someone for a position is telling the boss or hiring committee, "hey, I know someone who would be a good fit for this job. You should interview him/her." Networking is saying "hey, there is a job open at my place of employment-- here's how you apply" and doesn't include you endorsing said person for the job.

I'm reading "refer" as "recommend" here.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:55 AM

1,571 posts, read 1,114,324 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment